Should I take a pay cut for a role I enjoy? Watch

Syrianprince
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm currently working as an assistant economist at a government department but I hate my job. I've always wanted to pursue a career in finance/accounting and work for a big 4 firm but I failed to get in one of them after uni so I applied to a job in the Civil Service. I'm finding the work life balance amazing so I don't mind staying in the CS but would like to do something more finance related. Recently, I've been applying for jobs at other government departments and got offered a finance role. However, the salary is £2000 less than what I'm currently earning now but I will be working towards a profesional qualification and I'm guaranteed a manager role the moment I qualify. Is it worth taking a pay cut for a job I enjoy? I'm not sure if the advancement opportunities are better as there's lots of opportunities to progress in my current role but I find the role much more interesting.

Thanks in advance.
A_786
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Syrianprince)
Hi,

I'm currently working as an assistant economist at a government department but I hate my job. I've always wanted to pursue a career in finance/accounting and work for a big 4 firm but I failed to get in one of them after uni so I applied to a job in the Civil Service. I'm finding the work life balance amazing so I don't mind staying in the CS but would like to do something more finance related. Recently, I've been applying for jobs at other government departments and got offered a finance role. However, the salary is £2000 less than what I'm currently earning now but I will be working towards a profesional qualification and I'm guaranteed a manager role the moment I qualify. Is it worth taking a pay cut for a job I enjoy? I'm not sure if the advancement opportunities are better as there's lots of opportunities to progress in my current role but I find the role much more interesting.

Thanks in advance.
If it’s something you will enjoy then go for it. Job satisfaction is really important so do what will make you enjoy your job more even though the salary is less to begin with, it will catch up and probably exceed the salary your currently on as you progress through the role. The main thing you like about your current role is the work life balance, and so you will still have that benefit in the finance job as that is also within the civil service right.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Go for it. You need to enjoy your job. Your performance and prospects will be better in a job that you enjoy.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
starrymoon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's definitely worth it. Especially considering you are taking a pay cut right now, but would most likely quickly make that back and more upon obtaining a managerial position. I have met a few people in the civil service back when I was thinking of applying to their grad scheme. The work can sometimes be a little unstimulating. However, you may miss that great work life balance and flexibility so that's also something to consider.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which professional qualification? I’d go for it - the short term loss of £2k is not much in the scheme of life.
Syrianprince
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Which professional qualification? I’d go for it - the short term loss of £2k is not much in the scheme of life.
I have the option of doing either ACCA or CIMA. I already have a few exemptions for both which is good.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have the option of doing either ACCA or CIMA. I already have a few exemptions for both which is good.
Cool! Thats great. So long as you've done a decent stint in your current job to know its not for you in the long term just go for it.
yaseen1000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely, life is to short to work in a job that you dislike , enjoy life and go for the job that will provide you with the most satisfaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (241)
66.21%
No (123)
33.79%

Watched Threads