Medicine 2009 Entry Choices - Update/Repost with AS/A2 and Final Choices! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hyeree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im in a huge dilemma...
i got my predicted. which isnt as high as i expected....
40 points. it's good but it's lower than i thought. oh well
so im still debating should i apply to oxford or not?!!
i have no idea. and then my 4th choice is still wavering. and if i dont apply to oxford where to apply??? arrgh.
debating between now edin/st.andrews/notts....
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DrDomDom)
40 points? Is this for the IB?
yeah
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DrDomDom)
"Students of the International Baccalaureate would probably be required to achieve a level of performance of 38–40 points, including core points, with 6s or 7s in the higher subjects."

Thats from oxford's site, and Id assume they would have some of the highest entry requirements.

Going by that, your predicted 40 should be fine. If you meet the academic requirements, the rest is down to PS and interview I guess.
yes i know. that's the minimum requirement...
that's the problem. but i have a feeling ill apply to it anyway...
but then the problem is the 4th med school choice......
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
I can't believe I haven't even considered Brighton and Sussex Medical School. Not only do they actually look at AS grades but I didn't know that their course was systems based being taught through a combination of lectures, seminars, tutorials and practicals. I'm going to do my fair bit of research into it now. My choices might end up being UCL, SGUL, BSMS and HYMS. :eek:

They look at ASs?
How did you find that out and do you know other unis that look at ASs?

x
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nicolish)
They look at ASs?
How did you find that out and do you know other unis that look at ASs?

x
http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/faq.php

"Q - My GCSE results are not all As. How will this affect my application?
We expect grades B in GCSE Maths & English. Re-taken grades or equivalent qualifications are acceptable as evidence of adequate literacy and numeracy.

Otherwise while high GCSE grades are obviously encouraging, we shall primarily be considering applicants' most recent qualifications, so modest GCSE grades would be over-ridden by high AS level achievement or high actual or predicted A level grades."

At least they acknowledge AS results. Seriously, you'd be surprised by the number of medical schools that really do not place any weighting on AS results - one very vocal institute being Manchester.

Oh and I'm so applying to BSMS - THEY LOVE COMPUTING!

"A wide range of skills and knowledge are relevant to medicine, and a correspondingly wide range of A levels may contribute positively. A and AS levels in Psychology, Computing, Maths, English, Humanities, Law and Physics all have important advantages and skills to offer potential medical students. We do not prescribe any subjects you should take as the 'third' A level, with only General Studies normally being excluded from conditional offers."

That has just made my day. Since I'm being forced to carry on with it to A2, I may as well try and use this opportunity to my advantage.
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/faq.php

"Q - My GCSE results are not all As. How will this affect my application?
We expect grades B in GCSE Maths & English. Re-taken grades or equivalent qualifications are acceptable as evidence of adequate literacy and numeracy.

Otherwise while high GCSE grades are obviously encouraging, we shall primarily be considering applicants' most recent qualifications, so modest GCSE grades would be over-ridden by high AS level achievement or high actual or predicted A level grades."

At least they acknowledge AS results. Seriously, you'd be surprised by the number of medical schools that really do not place any weighting on AS results - one very vocal institute being Manchester.

Oh and I'm so applying to BSMS - THEY LOVE COMPUTING!

Lol thats cool I was going to do computing at one point but decided not to because I didnt think unis care about it.

The problem with me is that I have decent GCSEs (6A*s 2As 2Bs) but not so good ASs (BBBB). So I would love unis who dont care about ASs :p:
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nicolish)
The problem with me is that I have decent GCSEs (6A*s 2As 2Bs) but not so good ASs (BBBB). So I would love unis who dont care about ASs :p:
manchester is made for you.
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
manchester is made for you.

:'( It PBL though... I'm not too sure PBL is for me

I do love the accents though :p:
lostphotobooth
Report 10 years ago
Circumstances have changed...as have my choices. Hoping to be submitting my application sometime this week...fingers crossed.

[Year of Entry]
[1st Institution]
Cambridge - Fitzwilliam probably.
[2nd Institution]
Kings College London
[3rd Institution]
Imperial College London
[4th Institution]
University College London
[5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th]
Don't think so
ICL haven't emailed me back about this, so doubtful.
[GCSE Reults]
5A*s, 6As, 1B
[AS Results]
AAAAA
Biology, chemistry, maths, religious studies, general studies
[A2 Results/Predictions]
AAAA
biology, maths, chemistry, general studies
[Work Experience/Voluntary]
Charity Shop work
Shadowing an Obstetrician
Care Home
Tea Bar
[UKCAT]
average 610
can't do the last sections, so guessed them all, no joke.
[BMAT]
booked it already.
[Any other comments]
Can't do The Samaritans anymore due to the fact I cannot do the training dates. Am gutted if I'm honest.

Kinda nervous about applying to three BMAT universities.

Don't think I'll get into Cambridge really... but I don't want to go up north as my parents will be moving south when my sister goes to uni (2010), and well, you never know til you try.

UKCAT is a low score tbh... but emailed Kings about it, and they said they weigh it up along with the rest of the application...phew.

Don't think I have enough work experience in a caring environment if I'm honest, so kinda bricking it.

Not sure I'll get an offer

I hate how stressful all this is :mad:
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ugh, you make me want to apply to King's with my UKCAT score of 605 but I still can't weigh it up if it's worth the risk. If it was any other course, my choices would be so much easier and I wouldn't feel afraid of applying to places I loved.
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Ugh, you make me want to apply to King's with my UKCAT score of 605 but I still can't weigh it up if it's worth the risk. If it was any other course, my choices would be so much easier and I wouldn't feel afraid of applying to places I loved.
Seriously just apply to Kings and stop worrying!

That's in the nicest way possible of course :p:
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lostphotobooth)
Circumstances have changed...as have my choices. Hoping to be submitting my application sometime this week...fingers crossed.

Don't think I have enough work experience in a caring environment if I'm honest, so kinda bricking it.

Not sure I'll get an offer

I hate how stressful all this is :mad:
My teachers at school tell me that 3 BMAT universities is a big risk.
lostphotobooth
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
My teachers at school tell me that 3 BMAT universities is a big risk.
Yeah, I'm seeing my head of year tomorrow (second time in two weeks...eek) to get her opinion. I know its a big risk considering I haven't done the BMAT when applications are sent off, but I really want to go to London or Cambridge really or somewhere between Cambridge and London haha. I know its vague, and fickle, but I do like those courses the most, and I want to be in that sort of area of the UK for uni.

Argh, seriously, even choosing the unis is stressful.

And !MEna, go for KCL, I mean, they're not like Newcastle who rank all the scores and interview the 500 highest or something like that. And if you don't apply to KCL, you'll always be thinking, what if...? That's why I'm applying for Cambridge
Toffee_Kid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
FINAL INFORMATION!!! *sent off my form on wednesdayyyy*

[Year of Entry]
[1st Institution]
Manchester
[2nd Institution]
Keele
[3rd Institution]
BSMS
[4th Institution]
Leeds
Nope, not this year.

[GCSE Reults]
(A*)AAAABBBBB(B) brackets mean short course

[AS Results]
AAB*censored* :O
Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, retaking Maths for A/B

[A2 Results/Predictions]
A A B/A
Biology, Psychology, Chemistry

Personal Experience
Day in audiology dept
Weekin OB/GYN dept
Neighbour Care Programme *2 years*
Premed
Medical debates
First Aid Qualification *Red Cross*

[Hobbies]
Volunteer Police Cadet *3 years*
DoE *Bronze*
Violin *10 years*
Sailing *Competent Crew RYBA*
Physical Competitions *Police Competition Camps*

[UKCAT]
Average 623.5

[Any other comments]
I am quite literally riding on my personal statement this year, as it's the only thing about my application that actually stands out. It's sad, but I really cannot help but think that I do not stand a chance in hell against all the other applicants
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I'm seeing my head of year tomorrow (second time in two weeks...eek) to get her opinion. I know its a big risk considering I haven't done the BMAT when applications are sent off, but I really want to go to London or Cambridge really or somewhere between Cambridge and London haha. I know its vague, and fickle, but I do like those courses the most, and I want to be in that sort of area of the UK for uni.

Argh, seriously, even choosing the unis is stressful.

And !MEna, go for KCL, I mean, they're not like Newcastle who rank all the scores and interview the 500 highest or something like that. And if you don't apply to KCL, you'll always be thinking, what if...? That's why I'm applying for Cambridge
You do have to bear in mind with medicine that you only have 4 shots at the target. I wanted to go for Imperial, UCL, Cam and B'ham, but decided against it in case I crashed on my BMAT. I mean, yes, I'd love the more sciency courses and the compulsory intercalated year, but at the end of the day, I want to do medicine more. I'd rather not risk it and end up with 4 rejections.
lostphotobooth
Report 10 years ago
You do have to bear in mind with medicine that you only have 4 shots at the target. I wanted to go for Imperial, UCL, Cam and B'ham, but decided against it in case I crashed on my BMAT. I mean, yes, I'd love the more sciency courses and the compulsory intercalated year, but at the end of the day, I want to do medicine more. I'd rather not risk it and end up with 4 rejections.
Yeah I originally had two UKCAT and two BMAT unis. But then got rid of Newcastle cos I really do not think 610 is high enough on the UKCAT for an interview there, plus, it takes four hours to travel there from Nottingham (near where I live now) and with my parents moving to Surrey in 2010...how many more hours of travelling is that?!

So I really don't know. If I change any uni, it'll be UCL, but I have no idea what I would change it to. Maybe Leeds. No idea! But like I said, will talk to my head of year tomorrow, as she knows best; she has like 20 years + experience in people applying to uni! So hopefully, with her on my side, I can't fail...can I? (Yes I can, but trying to be positive amid all this stress!)
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I originally had two UKCAT and two BMAT unis. But then got rid of Newcastle cos I really do not think 610 is high enough on the UKCAT for an interview there, plus, it takes four hours to travel there from Nottingham (near where I live now) and with my parents moving to Surrey in 2010...how many more hours of travelling is that?!

So I really don't know. If I change any uni, it'll be UCL, but I have no idea what I would change it to. Maybe Leeds. No idea! But like I said, will talk to my head of year tomorrow, as she knows best; she has like 20 years + experience in people applying to uni! So hopefully, with her on my side, I can't fail...can I? (Yes I can, but trying to be positive amid all this stress!)
It's cool, but I just think, personally, that you're being too ambitious with your choices :p:

If you mess up your BMAT, Cambridge, UCL and Imperial are gone...

And King's is the most competitive medical school in the country :p:

But yea, see what your head of year thinks anyway Maybe consider a uni with no aptitude test like B'ham?
lostphotobooth
Report 10 years ago
It's cool, but I just think, personally, that you're being too ambitious with your choices :p:

If you mess up your BMAT, Cambridge, UCL and Imperial are gone...

And King's is the most competitive medical school in the country :p:

But yea, see what your head of year thinks anyway Maybe consider a uni with no aptitude test like B'ham?
Birmingham want people with more than 5A*s, and I only have five...which is kinda dodgy. I'd rather apply to another UKCAT uni lol. And well, tbh, ambition is shown when one applies for medicine anyway :p: seeing as medicine is one of the most competitive courses as well.

But yeah, will wait until tomorrow I guess. There's not many other places I really want to go (I'm picky haha, not snobby :p: ). The other places I'd consider are probably Nottingham or Leeds really. As much as I loved Newcastle, it's too far to travel.

Where have you applied btw? :]
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Birmingham want people with more than 5A*s, and I only have five...which is kinda dodgy. I'd rather apply to another UKCAT uni lol. And well, tbh, ambition is shown when one applies for medicine anyway :p: seeing as medicine is one of the most competitive courses as well.

But yeah, will wait until tomorrow I guess. There's not many other places I really want to go (I'm picky haha, not snobby :p: ). The other places I'd consider are probably Nottingham or Leeds really. As much as I loved Newcastle, it's too far to travel.

Where have you applied btw? :]
*points to profile* :p:

Many good medical schools such as Southampton, Bristol etc... :p:

You a city boy I guess?? Or is there another reason for your addiction to London :p:
Alladar
Report 10 years ago
[Year of Entry]
[1st Institution]
Cambridge - Jesus or Magdelene - not sure
[2nd Institution]
UCL
[3rd Institution]
Southampton
[4th Institution]
Peninsula
Nope

[GCSE Reults]
5 A* 4A B

[AS Results]
AAAAA
Bio, Chem, Math, Physics and English Language

[A2 Results/Predictions]
AAAA
Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Math

Year in a care home
6 months in a hospital ward
One week shadowing
Charity Shop
Peer Mentoring

[Hobbies]
D of E Gold
Guitar
Sports - Football, running
School Council

[UKCAT]
Average 735

[Comments]

Cam is probably a bit ambitious, but hey you only live once.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1583)
79.31%
Leave (413)
20.69%

Watched Threads