Week in hospital
    Week in day procedures unit
    1 year nursing home
    2 years squirrel scouts leader
    2 years young leader in Guides
    1 year volunteer in children's ward
    1 year first year mentor in school

[Any other comments]
    Im dreadin the UKCAT on wed, especially verbal reasoning!!

ReputationRep:
    Year of entry

Ist Institution
    UCL

2nd Institution
    St Georges

3rd Institution
    Birmingham

4th Institution
    Keele

No fifth choice

GCSE Results
    9A*, 1A

Work exp/voluntary
    2 weeks helping out at a school
    1 week at a nursery
    4 months at a care home
    2 days at Hospital
    1 week in a pharmacy
    1 week at a GP
    1 year helping children with reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b9muslove)
    Year of entry

Ist Institution
    UCL

2nd Institution
    St Georges

3rd Institution
    Birmingham

4th Institution
    Keele

No fifth choice

GCSE Results
    9A*, 1A

Work exp/voluntary
    2 weeks helping out at a school
    1 week at a nursery
    4 months at a care home
    2 days at Hospital
    1 week in a pharmacy
    1 week at a GP
    1 year helping children with reading
    what happend to oxbridge in your choices?

ReputationRep:
    well i was really keen on applying at first, but i don't think i'd get in, and i'm getting increasingly worried about receiving 4 rejections :s

ReputationRep:
    well i was really keen on applying at first, but i don't think i'd get in, and i'm getting increasingly worried about receiving 4 rejections :s

if you do a good PS and interview you should easily be accepted by oxford and imperial, mabey not cambridge, but if it were me applying id apply to Oxford and Imperial and then the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    if you do a good PS and interview you should easily be accepted by oxford and imperial, mabey not cambridge,
    Easily?
    Both emphasise the BMAT and grades in their applications to a great extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    Easily?
    Both emphasise the BMAT and grades in their applications to a great extent.

with her grades and W/e + Voul. why not? and obv a good BMAT

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm but there's also the bmat, don't you need to get a certain score to qualify for interview at oxford? And i'm not too confident about doing well on the bmat...

ReputationRep:
    [Year of Entry]
    [1st Institution]
    Kings College London
    [2nd Institution]
    Southampton
    [3rd Institution]
    Brighton and Sussex
    [4th Institution]
    PMS
    [5th Institution]
    Bath Biology
    [GCSE Results]
    A*ABBBBBBC
    [Work Experience/Voluntary] (at time of application)
    1 week hospital: mixed bag watching day surgery, A&E, opthalmic surgery and OBGYN
    1 day GP surgery
    5 months volunteering in elderly ward in hospital
    2 months working as a clinical support worker in a medical admissions unit
    Summer between GCSE + AS spent volunteering in Oxfam
    [Extra Curricular]
    life drawing course
    rock climbing course
    [extras]
    really worried 'cos my GCSEs are so pants and also I've only done Chemistry to AS but I've picked schools that I *should* meet the requirements of should everything go according to plan August 14th -eek-

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm but there's also the bmat, don't you need to get a certain score to qualify for interview at oxford? And i'm not too confident about doing well on the bmat...

there is a score to qualify for interview at UCL aswell

ReputationRep:
    there is a score to qualify for interview at UCL aswell
    No there isn't, there's a score that will guarantee you an interview, but it's still possible to get one without it.

ReputationRep:
    Sprry to hijack, but if I got let's say 7A*s 4 As and 1 B, (the B being in additional science, havign already got an A in Year 10 for the core science gcse), would that mean i would not be open to a whole load of unis ... (bham, cardiff etc that have high gcse requirements. do you think it's be advisable to resit addtional sceince, as i know i would have an opportunity to in november?

This is purely hyperthetical, as I havent got my gcses back yet... but i'm worrying!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    No there isn't, there's a score that will guarantee you an interview, but it's still possible to get one without it.
    ah that's good, more chance for me

ReputationRep:
    with her grades and W/e + Voul. why not? and obv a good BMAT
    You seem to really underestimate the difficulty of getting into medicine. I think it's a bit ridiculous of you to say that someone will 'easily be accepted by oxford and imperial'; most serious applicants have a similar caliber of w/e and voluntary work...i'd say mine was similarly as good along with a good BMAT score last year and a good PS but i didnt get in anywhere so i think its slightly naive of you to say someone will easily get into somewhere when you have no insight of admissions into med school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liar)
    You seem to really underestimate the difficulty of getting into medicine. I think it's a bit ridiculous of you to say that someone will 'easily be accepted by oxford and imperial'; most serious applicants have a similar caliber of w/e and voluntary work...i'd say mine was similarly as good along with a good BMAT score last year and a good PS but i didnt get in anywhere so i think its slightly naive of you to say someone will easily get into somewhere when you have no insight of admissions into med school.

thanks i think i needed that, and its always better to be optimistic rather than pesimistic.

and i tend to always look at things from a positive aspect.

and i am quite aware of the difficulties of getting into medicne and i fully apreciate the diffiulaty, infact i think my chances of entry into medicne are very narrow wherever i apply.

ReputationRep:
    thanks i think i needed that, and its always better to be optimistic rather than pesimistic.

and i tend to always look at things from a positive aspect.

and i am quite aware of the difficulties of getting into medicne and i fully apreciate the diffiulaty, infact i think my chances of entry into medicne are very narrow wherever i apply.
    Sorry to have attacked what you said. I agree with you, be optimistic T'will drive you insane with worry if you're not. Sorry im just in a grumpy mood tonight...ignore me :p: And im sure you'll be fine...good luck with your application!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liar)
    Sorry to have attacked what you said. I agree with you, be optimistic T'will drive you insane with worry if you're not. Sorry im just in a grumpy mood tonight...ignore me :p: And im sure you'll be fine...good luck with your application!!

did you not get any offers at all?

what about interviews? and where did you apply.

ReputationRep:
    did you not get any offers at all?

what about interviews? and where did you apply.
    Nooope none. 60% of all medicine applicants get no offers though so its not surprising.

Yer i got 3/4 interviews. Applied to Cambridge, UCL, Kings and Bristol...god what was i thinking :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liar)
    Nooope none. 60% of all medicine applicants get no offers though so its not surprising.

Yer i got 3/4 interviews. Applied to Cambridge, UCL, Kings and Bristol...god what was i thinking :rolleyes:

where did you get interviews and did you ask for feedback to you got an idea where you went wrong?

what were your predicted grades and voluntary stuff?

alos what you gonna do now?

ReputationRep:
    where did you get interviews and did you ask for feedback to you got an idea where you went wrong?

what were your predicted grades and voluntary stuff?

alos what you gonna do now?
    Only got feedback from one uni...was just my confidence that was an issue. Darn my nervous ramblings :dry:

Predicted grades: AAAAA

Work exp/voluntary work:

Pioneered school scheme which involved students visiting elderly residents of the community who need help with certain things such as shopping/simple tasks because of reduced mobility etc. - 2 years.
    2 weeks in hospital
    Summer in nursing home
    Weekly helping out at hospice shop
    Interviewed two GPs - couldn't get w/e anywhere
    Helped out once a week at school with people with additional needs - reading and maths
    Helped out at badminton sessions for people with disabilities

Should have pharmacy work and HCA work to add to it by October this year.

As for what im gonna do now im not too sure. Reapply i think. I really been considering my other options hard lately though and ive got myself all confused with what i should do. I think ill get some more work experience at the hospital to set my mind back on track as to which direction i want to go in :unsure:

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.