[Work Experience/Voluntary]
-1 week in a Health Centre
-1 week Surgical Assesment Ward
-1 week in Neurosurgery
-1 Year of volunteering at hospital
-Also loads more im doing in my gap year! :yep:

[UKCAT]

[Any other comments]
Hopefully it will all work out this time!
Reply 641
Dutchess of Doncaster
[Year of Entry]

[1st Institution]
Imperial

[2nd Institution]
King's College London

[3rd Institution]
Barts

[4th Institution]
St. Georges

[GCSE Reults]
4A*s, 6As and a B

[AS Results]
AAAB (A) Summer 09

[A2 Results]
AAA Summer 06 (A) Summer 09

[Work Experience]
5 weeks full time at Victoria Hospital on Haem/Spec unit reception and lab assistant.
1 week morgue
4 weeks GP sugery
4 months full time at VLA as post-mortem typist
2 months full time Clinical Governance
Volunteer at palliative care unit

[UKCAT]

[BMAT]
TBC

[Any other comments]
Hello, ny name's _____ and I'm a Trackophile.

Hey are you doing graduate entry?
HeiXin
At the Edinburgh Open day, for the Medicine lecture, there were statistics shown on what percentage of people accepted. The figures are roughly as follows:

45% English
40% Scottish
5% Irish
10% oversea

The admission officer also went on to say that, there is 45% English accepted because 45% of the applicants were English and 40% Scottish because 40% of the applicants were Scottish and that it is all in proportion, not because of discrimination against whether Scottish or not Scottish.

And, the stats shown in your school, ONE school, do not reflect the stats for the whole country. There are such things called anomalies. There could be many reasons why oxbridge acceptance rates are higher. Such as the emphasis on personal statements, emphasis on UKCAT etc. Futhermore, Edinburgh is regarded on par in terms of ranking with Oxbridge (for Medicine anyways) so therefore comparing the rates of oxbridge to edinburgh is like splitting Oxford and Cambridge apart and comparing the acceptance rates (from your school) of those individual Uni's and saying one favours xx compared to another.

It was not just my school, it was a collection of local independent and good state schools

Edinburgh would say that wouldn't they. It's their open day. What are they going to say?? We prefer Scots! Course not.

How is Edinburgh regarded on par with Oxbridge? Ranking is a load of rubbish for medicine and everyone knows that.

Furthermore, the statistics are flawed. They don't take into account the number of applicants as you claim they do. They cannot possibly match up, percent for percent as you claim, otherwise Edinburgh have an unfair and discriminative policy (against able candidates) anyway with regard to offering places in lieu with the proportions of English/Scots/whatever which apply.

If you're saying that 40% of Scots apply and 60% of English apply, therefore according to what you quoted from admissions, 40% of places would go to Scots and 60% to English, then that in itself is unfair. If English, or Scots, in general are more able, they would be discriminated against.

What may possibly and more realistically happen is:

3,000 English apply
600 Scots apply

200 Scots get a place, 300 English get a place

That would come out as 40% Scot, 60% English, but look at the application numbers.
FTC199
your facts are based on assumptions though, not hard evidence. i am at this university and in the first two days here i met about 30 english people and 4 scots...that kind of proves that the uni isnt as anti-english as you seem to think it is.

also, my point about the two people i know is that 100% of the people i knew before uni who applied to edinburgh got an offer because they were very good candidates and wrote personal statements which were very good and so they got through the selection process

i may be deffensive but i have seen so many people on TSR say that edinburgh is anti-english and throw that slander around when it is untrue, they are just bitter about being rejected

I never said Edinburgh was anti-English, indeed, as the two people you know have demonstrated very well, if you're good enough you will get in, Scot or English. However, I'm merely pointing out that whilst English people are not disadvantaged, Scots have the edge.

I never said they were 'facts' either, and your 'facts' are also based upon assumptions. No one can know for sure. Again, I never said English people cannot get a place at Edinburgh, so it's perfectly likely that you came across 30 English people and only 4 Scots.

The thing we do not have is proper admissions statistics, not percentages (which Edinburgh claim are % for % with applicant ratios, which cannot realistically be true, or else that's clear discrimination against good candidates) that the person above has given

E.g., just as an example and purely to illustrate a point:

3,000 English apply
600 Scots apply

200 Scots get a place, 300 English get a place

That would come out as 40% Scot, 60% English, but look at the application numbers.
ive still not sent off my application, has anyone else not done this? think i am doing it tomorrow..
witness the sickness
ive still not sent off my application, has anyone else not done this? think i am doing it tomorrow..

I sent it this afternoon..
Dont worry about it though, wouldn't it be just sent to your school's system?
The official UCAS deeadline is the 15th anyway!
Reply 646
witness the sickness

i think im going to do it friday. no worries :biggrin:
i'm pulling a complete Mena atm...cannot decide on my choices. had to take edinburgh out as my previous selection was way too risky. leeds in. still need help on the last choice...birmingham is a possibility. looking for a uni which looks at the ukcat in conjunction with the rest of the application and not PBL (and preferably not in londres).
Reply 648
Isometrix
i'm pulling a complete Mena atm...cannot decide on my choices. had to take edinburgh out as my previous selection was way too risky. leeds in. still need help on the last choice...birmingham is a possibility. looking for a uni which looks at the ukcat in conjunction with the rest of the application and not PBL (and preferably not in londres).

st. andrews, aberdeen, newcastle, nottingham.... etc?
[Year of Entry]

[1st Institution]
Edinburgh

[2nd Institution]
Newcastle

[3rd Institution]
Dundee

[4th Institution]
Aberdeen

[5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th]
N/A

[SG Results]
6 1s, a 2 and an A for Int 2

[Higher Results]
AAAAA

[Advanced Higher Predictions]
AAA

day at GPs office
4 months and counting volunteering in children's ward at hospital
1 week in Renal Unit at hospital

[UKCAT]
702.5 Avg.

[Any other comments]

Feel good about my application. Just concerned about the competition at Edinburgh.
Reply 650
Toiletpaper8
I never said Edinburgh was anti-English, indeed, as the two people you know have demonstrated very well, if you're good enough you will get in, Scot or English. However, I'm merely pointing out that whilst English people are not disadvantaged, Scots have the edge.

scots do not have an edge, we are all equal. end of
Sanjetti
Hey are you doing graduate entry?

No, normal avenue. How about yourself?
Reply 652
Dutchess of Doncaster
No, normal avenue. How about yourself?

Oh, wow you have a lot of work experience :s-smilie: I'm going for Undergrad entry as well.
Sanjetti
Oh, wow you have a lot of work experience :s-smilie: I'm going for Undergrad entry as well.

Don't panic on the experience front - I'm going to be classed as 'mature' when I apply - I've been out of school for 3 years now so have had a lot of time to get it.
FTC199
scots do not have an edge, we are all equal. end of

Haha, this isn't going anywhere, so we'll have to agree to disagree :wink: :p:
Toiletpaper8
Haha, this isn't going anywhere, so we'll have to agree to disagree :wink: :p:

Edinburgh have statistics that show roughly 55% of applicants and current students are English, while 40% are Scottish.

So, there are more English students than Scottish students applying to Edinburgh and more currently there. It is fair.
OriginofSymmetry
Edinburgh have statistics that show roughly 55% of applicants and current students are English, while 40% are Scottish.

So, there are more English students than Scottish students applying to Edinburgh and more currently there. It is fair.

Read my post before where I already responded to that question...

Plus this debate isn't getting anywhere like I said. So we should all drop it.
Toiletpaper8
Read my post before where I already responded to that question...

Plus this debate isn't getting anywhere like I said. So we should all drop it.

Or maybe Oxbridge like English students more than Scottish students and that's why your school's stats are like that.

You can't say Edinburgh prefer Scottish students when their applicant:student ratio for English students is the same as for Scots.
OriginofSymmetry
Or maybe Oxbridge like English students more than Scottish students and that's why your school's stats are like that.

You can't say Edinburgh prefer Scottish students when their applicant:student ratio for English students is the same as for Scots.

You've clearly read the wrong post.

My point is that I'm perfectly happy to have this debate with you, but we both know perfectly well that no one will win, it'll be a waste of time, I won't convince you otherwise and you won't convince me otherwise, so can't we just drop it.
[Year of Entry]

[1st Institution]
Leeds

[2nd Institution]
Cardiff

[3rd Institution]
Liverpool

[4th Institution]
BSMS

[5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th]
Naahh.

[GCSE Reults]
A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAA

[AS Results]
ABBB

[A2 Results/Predictions]
AAB

1 week at renal ward
1 year hospice volunteering
2 months hospital volunteering
2 days surgery

[UKCAT]
VR - 570
QR - 610
AR - 670
DA - 650
Average: 625

[BMAT]
Nahh.

[Any other comments]
Not a very strong application at all! But i guess i wouldn't mind taking a gap year and reapplying! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending