Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liar)
    Only got feedback from one uni...was just my confidence that was an issue. Darn my nervous ramblings :dry:

Predicted grades: AAAAA

Work exp/voluntary work:

Pioneered school scheme which involved students visiting elderly residents of the community who need help with certain things such as shopping/simple tasks because of reduced mobility etc. - 2 years.
    2 weeks in hospital
    Summer in nursing home
    Weekly helping out at hospice shop
    Interviewed two GPs - couldn't get w/e anywhere
    Helped out once a week at school with people with additional needs - reading and maths
    Helped out at badminton sessions for people with disabilities

Should have pharmacy work and HCA work to add to it by October this year.

As for what im gonna do now im not too sure. Reapply i think. I really been considering my other options hard lately though and ive got myself all confused with what i should do. I think ill get some more work experience at the hospital to set my mind back on track as to which direction i want to go in :unsure:

****, that really makes me want to just curl up and give up.

but i wont EVER, it the only thing for me and im determined to succeed.

and that is really harsh, youv got an almost perfect aplication

howd you do in the BMAT? and UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    ****, that really makes me want to just curl up and give up.

but i wont EVER, it the only thing for me and im determined to succeed.

and that is really harsh, youv got an almost perfect aplication

howd you do in the BMAT? and UKCAT?
    Thanks but it was far from perfect, hopefully ill be closer this time round I like your determination, t'is a good quality. Don't give up!!

BMAT - 5.6, 6.2, 7.5 - total 19.3 not amazing but good.
    UKCAT - average 677

There's no point just assessing me by all my stats on paper though...at the end of the day they got me to the interviews but then i ****ed them up so just try not to screw your interviews up and im sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liar)
    Thanks but it was far from perfect, hopefully ill be closer this time round I like your determination, t'is a good quality. Don't give up!!

BMAT - 5.6, 6.2, 7.5 - total 19.3 not amazing but good.
    UKCAT - average 677

There's no point just assessing me by all my stats on paper though...at the end of the day they got me to the interviews but then i ****ed them up so just try not to screw your interviews up and im sure you'll be fine

did UCL interview you?

how did you find the bmat? and ukcat? what did you use to prepare?

ReputationRep:
    [Year of Entry]
    [1st Institution]
    Bristol
    [2nd Institution]
    PMS
    [3rd Institution]
    Unknown
    [4th Institution]
    Unknown
    [5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th]
    Either pharmocology or biomedical sciences.
    [GCSE Reults]
    6 A* 3 A 2 B
    [Work Experience/Voluntary]
    6 months as hospital ward volunteer
    Shadowed cardiologist
    Work with disabled young people
    Volunteer at women's refuge
    Hopefully shadow GP this summer
    Hopefully volunteer at physical rehab this summer
    volunteered at charity shop
    [Any other comments]
    I'm screwed.
    I need to decide on two more unis.
    I'm also screwed!

ReputationRep:
    WOW..looks like Notts' quite a popular choice this year.(among the TSR wannabe medics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    I am also under the impression that manchester have a similar GCSE results requierment am i correct??
    back in 2005 they wanted 4As but were prepared to ignore such requirements if the applicant had AAB+ at A'level. If they've changed one, they may yet to have changed the other.
    (Original post by Democracy)
    How noobs refer to Imperial College London
    IC.AC.UK sounds like somebody choking, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    No there isn't, there's a score that will guarantee you an interview, but it's still possible to get one without it.
    aye. People may be interested to know that they have previously interviewed students before the results for the BMAT have even arrived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    aye. People may be interested to know that they have previously interviewed students before the results for the BMAT have even arrived.
    And they shall be again. If I'm right (and I usually am, about RFUCMS matters at least), we're interviewing from Nov 25th (so invites go out about 10 days before), which is well before BMAT results.

ReputationRep:
    [Year of Entry]

[1st Institution]
    Imperial College London

[2nd Institution]
    University College London

[3rd Institution]
    University of Manchester

[4th Institution]
    University of Leiceister (might decide to apply to Kings College London instead though)

N/A

[GCSE Reults]
    A* A* A* A* A* A A A A

- 1 year voluntary work at Oxfam
    - 6 weeks voluntary work at a nursing home
    - 1 week work experience in Ophthalmology
    - 1 week work experience in Radiology
    - 1 week work experience in Wards

[Any other comments]
    It's really all I think about now. I'm very worried yet excited about applying. Ideally I'd like to stay in London but I fear it's too high of a risk to apply to three London institutes so I'm still unsure about my choices at the moment. I'm still writing my personal statement and catching up with further reading too. Not looking forward to sitting the UKCAT/BMAT but it's got to be done at the end of the day. The countdown till I sit my UKCAT is sharply dawning on me very quickly and it's only just occured to me how unprepared I am. Results day isn't far off too - more worry. My mindset really isn't the best right now and it's the summer holidays too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It's really all I think about now. I'm very worried yet excited about applying. Ideally I'd like to stay in London but I fear it's too high of a risk to apply to three London institutes so I'm still unsure about my choices at the moment. I'm still writing my personal statement and catching up with further reading too. Not looking forward to sitting the UKCAT/BMAT but it's got to be done at the end of the day. The countdown till I sit my UKCAT is sharply dawning on me very quickly and it's only just occured to me how unprepared I am. Results day isn't far off too - more worry. My mindset really isn't the best right now and it's the summer holidays too.

i know exactly how you feel, its sometimes quite overwhelming lol:woo: , but once we get in it will all be worth it : :cool: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Mena, why not try Southampton if you'd ideally like to stay in the South (I realise Southampton isn't too close to London but it's closer than Manchester/Leicester). AFAIK Southampton has a similar course to Leicester's; differences being I don't think Southampton does dissection (could be wrong). Part from that their both pretty similar although admittedly I don't know loads about Southampton. Anyway, good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Mena, why not try Southampton if you'd ideally like to stay in the South (I realise Southampton isn't too close to London but it's closer than Manchester/Leicester). AFAIK Southampton has a similar course to Leicester's; differences being I don't think Southampton does dissection (could be wrong). Part from that their both pretty similar although admittedly I don't know loads about Southampton. Anyway, good luck with your application
    I did some research about Southampton a while back ago and was put off by their lack of interviewing as part of the selection process. That's essentially why I haven't really considered SOTON as a serious choice since I'd like the opportunity for the institute to see myself for who am I in person rather than what I am on paper I guess. Thanks for the suggestion though.

ReputationRep:
    No worries ! I can relate to the concern about Soton not interviewing, it's why I didn't apply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)

actually Soton's cource is much more similar to UCL's and Imperial's, they also do dissection, and it is dissimilar from Leicester course as with Leicester's course the clinical learning begins after the first three modules in the first semester whereas at soton the clinical learning begins in the first few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial, like Soton and Leicester (don't know about UCL) send students to patients house's in the first few weeks and allows them to visit GP's practices.

ReputationRep:
    UCL sends students to GP practices, hospital wards, community health centres and the such from week 4 of the course.

ReputationRep:
    umm idk, I dont think that I would get in to Oxbridge (wouldnt stand a chance) so i did a reality check and thought it would be a waste of an application which can be used somewhere else where I stand a greater chance...

anyways, thanks guys for the feedback...appreciate it
    just to chuck in my twopence's worth....and don't all jump on me at once!
    Statisical - if you look at applicants per place, Oxbridge are the lowest - so in theory the easiest to get into. However obviously this isn't the case at all - they are hard to get into - particularly because you do have to meet the extremely high entry requirements to apply.
    However if you worked hard for BMAT, and did achieve a good score, and then prepare huge amounts for the interview, you stand a very good chance. The only thing I would say is that the interviews are fairly atypical - you need to be able to think on your feet. Anyway, I what I'm trying to say is, don't just assume you won't get in.
    obvioulsy Oxford isn't cut out for everyone, and you may just not want to go - I didn't apply because I didnt want to go there - didn't really even consider whether I could realistically get in - and in hindsight I wouldn't have got in, because my GCSEs weren't good enough.
    Anyway, good luck in your applications!

ReputationRep:
    i agree. if you have the grades+w.e. and the passion to go there, then all you need to do is get a good score on BMAT by preparing extremely well (which i didnt do, so i could be a hypocrite) and pass that extraordinary interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)

[1st Institution]
    Imperial College London
    Good man! :P Hopefully see you next year, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    [Year of Entry]

[1st Institution]
    Imperial College London

[2nd Institution]
    University College London

[3rd Institution]
    University of Edinbugh

[4th Institution]
    Kings College London (subject to change though...)

????

[GCSE Reults]
    didnt do them

- 6 months teaching English to children who'd lost at least one parent (done during gap year in Korea)
    - 1 year active member in Make Poverty History
    - soon to be 1 year teaching ESL to year 1 students
    - 4 weeks at the university hospital (gynecology department)

[Any other comments]
    Im not worrying about grades, just the freaking BMAT/UKCAT and not enough work experience.
    everyone else seems to have so much!! do i need to do more?? i think im screwed, but i dont want to be screwed. i want to get into med school!!
    arrrggghhh!! i should calm down

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.