Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine 2009 Entry Choices - Update/Repost with AS/A2 and Final Choices! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    I think I'd rather be in a hospital than the nursing home I volunteer at. The way they are treated there is awful. They are really understaffed (not including me 2 staff to around 15 people and the staff that are there just tend to humiliate the residents when they wet themselves or whatever and otherwise just completely ignore them. A lot of them there are confused but the staff don't seem to realise that they do know when they are being laughed at and I've had to cope with a couple of them crying later on in the lounge because they feel so stupid not being able to eat properly after a stroke or something when they just can't help it. It's sad to see
    Probably best not to mention that in your PS. Unless you want to talk about seeing the bad side of medicine, and are determined to never fall into this category.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd rather be in a hospital than the nursing home I volunteer at. The way they are treated there is awful. They are really understaffed (not including me 2 staff to around 15 people and the staff that are there just tend to humiliate the residents when they wet themselves or whatever and otherwise just completely ignore them. A lot of them there are confused but the staff don't seem to realise that they do know when they are being laughed at and I've had to cope with a couple of them crying later on in the lounge because they feel so stupid not being able to eat properly after a stroke or something when they just can't help it. It's sad to see

id say something to the staff, so that they understand that they are doing something wrong.

at least in a hopital people dignity comes first!! but in a nursing home i spose they dont get sued as easily, but thats no excuse.

The next time you witness something like that tell them to stop.!!!!!

they are peoples mothers,fathers and garanparents, i for sure wouldnt like anyone in my family to be laughed at regardless of how ill they are, so if i were in your position i would make my thoughts clear!! i think you should do the same.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, the nursing home I'm at doesn't sound as rough as the one you're at Beth. The thing that really upsets me most about the nursing home I'm at is how isolated the residents there are. Really, the only time they're around each other is on a Friday during the 10am-2pm club and that's really their highlight of their week.

ReputationRep:
    the nursing home i volunteer at is getting a complete revamp because they just got new owners...i'm hoping that the kitchen gets redone really well, because at the minute it's a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Probably best not to mention that in your PS. Unless you want to talk about seeing the bad side of medicine, and are determined to never fall into this category.
    Huh? I never said I would mention that on my PS - I was just replying to a comment someone else said about nursing homes being better than hospitals. The hospital ward I used to volunteer on was a fair bit better for quality of care. I've had loads of positive experiences at the care home though.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few nice staff members there but they tend to be on the other floor (this place has two floors for people with different categories of illnesses). When I first started I worked on the other floor with this one lady who was absolutely lovely and you could tell all the residents adored her. It's just this other floor is a complete nightmare - you wouldn't think it was the same place.

The good thing about them always being ignored/ understaffed is that I actually get to do something. I couldn't actually list all the stuff I manage to do in 4 hours every Sunday but I'll be waitressing, taking confused patients to where they should be, thinking of activites to do (artwork, games, music sessions, etc.), chatting, fetching and carrying stuff, taking the tea trolley around or feeding residents. I really look forward to it every week

To everyone who says I should do something, I really want to carry on volunteering there and I don't think it is my place at the moment to say something. I'm relying on my reference from there to get me work experience at a hospital the end of summer so I need to stay on their good side. Anyway, if they thought I was going to complain they wouldn't let me volunteer there anymore and I really enjoy it (and the residents say they enjoy me being there too :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    [Year of Entry]

[1st Institution]
    Imperial College London

[2nd Institution]
    University College London

[3rd Institution]
    University of Manchester

[4th Institution]
    University of Leiceister (might decide to apply to Kings College London instead though)

[5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th]
    N/A

[GCSE Reults]
    A* A* A* A* A* A A A A

[Work Experience/Voluntary]
    - 1 year voluntary work at Oxfam
    - 6 weeks voluntary work at a nursing home
    - 1 week work experience in Ophthalmology
    - 1 week work experience in Radiology
    - 1 week work experience in Wards

[Any other comments]
    It's really all I think about now. I'm very worried yet excited about applying. Ideally I'd like to stay in London but I fear it's too high of a risk to apply to three London institutes so I'm still unsure about my choices at the moment. I'm still writing my personal statement and catching up with further reading too. Not looking forward to sitting the UKCAT/BMAT but it's got to be done at the end of the day. The countdown till I sit my UKCAT is sharply dawning on me very quickly and it's only just occured to me how unprepared I am. Results day isn't far off too - more worry. My mindset really isn't the best right now and it's the summer holidays too.
    As sad as it is to quote myself, well, I figured I'd update you all with a decision I've made.

I'm applying to King's College London instead of the University of Leiceister. I don't like the whole ranking institution think we've got here because I equally loved the atmosphere I felt today at King's and when I went to UCL and Manchester. I'm not feeling Imperial at the moment - don't know why to be honest. I've finalised UCL, KCL, and Manchester as three of my choices for sure. I might choose Leiceister again over Imperial or decide to stick with Imperial or heck bring in another institute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    As sad as it is to quote myself, well, I figured I'd update you all with a decision I've made.

I'm applying to King's College London instead of the University of Leiceister. I don't like the whole ranking institution think we've got here because I equally loved the atmosphere I felt today at King's and when I went to UCL and Manchester. I'm not feeling Imperial at the moment - don't know why to be honest. I've finalised UCL, KCL, and Manchester as three of my choices for sure. I might choose Leiceister again over Imperial or decide to stick with Imperial or heck bring in another institute.

thanks for the update!! LOL

i didn like KCL for some reason. so i desided that BSMS was a better option for me seing as i loved the location and the atmosphere.

Im visiting southampton this week, to make sure it for me and then that will be all 4 of my choices.

and iv made a descision about my 5th choice it will be

Birmingham for Medical Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    thanks for the update!! LOL

i didn like KCL for some reason. so i desided that BSMS was a better option for me seing as i loved the location and the atmosphere.

Im visiting southampton this week, to make sure it for me and then that will be all 4 of my choices.

and iv made a descision about my 5th choice it will be

Birmingham for Medical Science.
    Ah cool, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about SOTON.

I'm still not sure whether or not to use my fifth choice. I feel as if it's arrogant to leave it blank but then again I wouldn't resort to using it if I got four rejections - because it's not a last resort. I'd take a gap year and strengthen my application and reapply the next year than waste three years of my life regretting everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Ah cool, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about SOTON.

I'm still not sure whether or not to use my fifth choice. I feel as if it's arrogant to leave it blank but then again I wouldn't resort to using it if I got four rejections - because it's not a last resort. I'd take a gap year and strengthen my application and reapply the next year than waste three years of my life regretting everything.

if i get four rejections then i will take a gap year and re apply also, but im gonna use my 5th just so i have the option of a degree in something remotely interesting, and then go for graduate medicine.

i really just want it so that if i get 4 Rejections and 1 offer of BBB then thats a nice backup if i chouse to use it.

but id rather use the 5th (obviously at a differnt institution to any that im appling Medciene for, yes i know they say they wont descrimnate you if you apply fo something else but im superstitious that they will look at my application and say ahh hes applying for BmedSci well give him that and not medicine). otherwise i might be looking back and saing if only id applied for that damn fith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)

how important is it to have been to the unis before you apply?
    should i go over to england to check the school out before term starts do you think? ... im kind of short of time.. i've been a major procrastinator this summer :/

ReputationRep:
    Good lord. Although you may feel young or that you're 'just' a care assistant don't be afraid to speak up or even find ways around this. For example, one time a patient was discharged. His bed had been made that morning but it hadn't been washed. I said to the nurse, 'right I'll get the cleaning gear and make it up'. 'Don't bother' she said, 'you made it this morning.' I went to the nurse manager and asked her should I strip the bed and clean it. I got the go ahead from her. Beds have to be cleaned between patients.

If those patients are wetting themselves and are not being changed they could develop a rash. Rash could develop into bedsore. Bedsore could develop into cavity which could become septic and patient could die. These things are serious. Bring it up with the managers of the place. If you feel they aren't taking you seriously then take the matter to whatever regulatory board is supposed to keep an eye on the place (or at least threaten to, they may change their minds then).

Don't be afraid to do your job properly just because the people above you don't.

Regarding the humiliation, **** sake that's an utter disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    how important is it to have been to the unis before you apply?
    should i go over to england to check the school out before term starts do you think? ... im kind of short of time.. i've been a major procrastinator this summer :/
    It really depends on the individual. If you're really indecisive like myself when it comes to choosing something as important as this, going around to the open days allows you to have those important first impressions and really see the atmosphere and vibe of the institute in action. I was hovering about applying to King's prior to going to the open day at Guy's Campus today, especially after they bumped up the grade requirements to AAA, but after the campus tour, it was decided. Their student union (KCLSU) is pretty huge and lively, the accomodation and location is fantastic and the scenery within the campus with views like the statue of Thomas Guy, Guy's Memorial Arch, and the Southwark Cathedral - ah, so beautiful! I'd love to be able to just sit on the grass within such attractions between lectures. (Really, the Gordon Museum sold it for me - I was in awe just walking past all those jars up and down up and down haha!) Yeah I'd say it's quite important but it's not the end of the world if you don't. You're given a tour I think when you apply or when you're given an interview I think but really, I think it's beneficial if you check them out, even at a glance if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It really depends on the individual. If you're really indecisive like myself when it comes to choosing something as important as this, going around to the open days allows you to have those important first impressions and really see the atmosphere and vibe of the institute in action. I was hovering about applying to King's prior to going to the open day at Guy's Campus today, especially after they bumped up the grade requirements to AAA, but after the campus tour, it was decided. Their student union (KCLSU) is pretty huge and lively, the accomodation and location is fantastic and the scenery within the campus with views like the statue of Thomas Guy, Guy's Memorial Arch, and the Southwark Cathedral - ah, so beautiful! I'd love to be able to just sit on the grass within such attractions between lectures. (Really, the Gordon Museum sold it for me - I was in awe just walking past all those jars up and down up and down haha!) Yeah I'd say it's quite important but it's not the end of the world if you don't. You're given a tour I think when you apply or when you're given an interview I think but really, I think it's beneficial if you check them out, even at a glance if you have to.
    well i've decided for sure imperial and ucl, but i dont know about the other two.. right now i've got edinburgh and kings... but i dont know if i really want to go there....... :/ im torn, and i dont know how i'll do in the UKCAT/BMAT! i hate not knowing what i'll get in exams..

the thing is i live in sweden, and its such a hassle to get to london and look around and it's not like as if i have a lot of time on my hands either... i have tons of summer h/w to do which i've left until the last minute and it's going to be hard to find time to go over there.. then i'm just screwed i guess

[Year of Entry]
    2009 entry
    [1st Institution]
    Kings College London
    [2nd Institution]
    Imperial or UCL...as of yet, undecided. or Newcastle...
    [3rd Institution]
    Newcastle or Notts. Depends on above
    [4th Institution]
    Edinburgh
    [5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th]
    not applying for a fifth choice
    [GCSE Reults]
    A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAB
    Volunteer once a week Help the Aged
    Volunteer with the Samaritans
    Volunteer with a local care home with a possibility of getting paid when I turn 18 (october!)
    Possibly two weeks in a obstetrics/gynae (mum works in that field)
    I interview people in the healthcare field on a regular basis for my medsociety at school.
    I set up the medsociety at my school, which I run with meetings once a week at lunchtime on a certain day.
    Possibly two weeks shadowing a GP in September.
    Medlink December 2007
    [Any other comments]
    I do a lot of sport; county netball, netball twice to three times a week, badminton once a week, basketball once a week.
    I also do a lot of web and graphic design which I get paid for.
    I've already written my personal statement, which only needs one or two tweaks after more volunteering and work exp. this summer (according to my form tutor).
    UKCAT booked for the 26th August...nervous as hell, as a few of my uni applications depend on the UKCAT (esp. Kings, Edinburgh and Newcastle...otherwise, I'm b*ggered).
    In two minds whether to book the BMAT test because undecided about UCL and Imperial right now...

But yeah!

Sorry for rambling a bit much here :/

ReputationRep:
    [Year of Entry] 2009

[1st Institution] Cambridge :confused:

[2nd Institution] Nottingham

[3rd Institution] Brighton and Sussex

[4th Institution] Leicester

[5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th] Biology at Notts or Biomedical Science at Kings :confused:

[GCSE Results] A*A*A*A*AAAABCC :confused:

Shadowing Cardiac technician for 2 weeks
    Volunteering in Cardiac Rehab (2 months haha)
    Helping out at GP surgery (6 months)
    Torch Trust for the Blind
    Autism Bedfordshire

[Any other comments] HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!! Do I stand a decent chance? Any comments appreciated thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernoodles1629891)
    [Year of Entry] 2009

[1st Institution] Cambridge :confused:

[2nd Institution] Nottingham

[3rd Institution] Brighton and Sussex

[4th Institution] Leicester

[5th Choice if you are applying for a 5th] Biology at Notts or Biomedical Science at Kings :confused:

[GCSE Results] A*A*A*A*AAAABCC :confused:

Shadowing Cardiac technician for 2 weeks
    Volunteering in Cardiac Rehab (2 months haha)
    Helping out at GP surgery (6 months)
    Torch Trust for the Blind
    Autism Bedfordshire

[Any other comments] HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!! Do I stand a decent chance? Any comments appreciated thanks

8 A/A* i think you might just, and prety good voluntary work showing both knowledge of the profession and commitment.

ReputationRep:
    8 A/A* i think you might just, and prety good voluntary work showing both knowledge of the profession and commitment.
    Thanks, but I'm just worrying about the AS results. UKCAT and BMAT and my personal statement!!! And looking at other posts on this thread scares the hell outta me!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I'm just worrying about the AS results. UKCAT and BMAT and my personal statement!!! And looking at other posts on this thread scares the hell outta me!!!

i made it so that i and everyone else could get an idea of what thier up against.

im woried about my as reults also and everything else, so it prety normal, but you look like your in a prety good position at the moment, but only AS results will tell what our preditions will be.

did you do january modules , how did you do in those?

ReputationRep:
    i made it so that i and everyone else could get an idea of what thier up against.

im woried about my as reults also and everything else, so it prety normal, but you look like your in a prety good position at the moment, but only AS results will tell what our preditions will be.

did you do january modules , how did you do in those?
    I got 4 As in Bio, Chem, Maths and Law, but in June everything went bellyup...

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 As in Bio, Chem, Maths and Law, but in June everything went bellyup...

i doubt you have done that bad, why did it go bellyup???

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.