Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    i doubt you have done that bad, why did it go bellyup???
    I just started relaxing too much after the Jan results and didn't revise properly. I only did past papers and no proper reading silly me!!! Oh well, whatever will be will be!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernoodles1629891)
    looking at other posts on this thread scares the hell outta me!!!
    biggest mistake you could do. not everyone with 10A* gets in, not everyone with 18months of voluntary work gets in, not everyone with B's and C's gets rejections, etc.. if you fancy having a go at applying to a certain university, then do so. dont let fear of competition stop you otherwise you will regret it later. and if (god forbid) you get a rejection or more, everyone who applies to study a subject like medicine runs the risk of getting them. its absolutely normal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaz_197)
    biggest mistake you could do. not everyone with 10A* gets in, not everyone with 18months of voluntary work gets in, not everyone with B's and C's gets rejections...
    So true. There was a girl in my year who made it seem like she saved the universe twice during her gap year but still didn't get in first time around.

And those B and C students are now amongst the best medics gradewise.

(Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    So true. There was a girl in my year who made it seem like she saved the universe twice during her gap year but still didn't get in first time around.

And those B and C students are now amongst the best medics gradewise.
    Have you got some sort of statistic to back this up?!?! Because I really do not think that is true whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostphotobooth)
    Have you got some sort of statistic to back this up?!?! Because I really do not think that is true whatsoever.
    This is coming from someone who hasn't even applied to medical school yet therefore probably doesn't have the first clue that a degree is vastly different to A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    This is based in what I have seen in my own year. However, my sisters who are both Doctors and who went to different universities have often told me about people who got in on a hope and a prayer and who are now academically and technically excellent.My friends who have had excellent grades during high school are not doing as well at their particular universities.

I realize that this is all anecdotal but you must realize that there are no statistics on this one so you are going to have to trust me here. I've nothing to gain by lying to you.

I think that these people change when they get to university. I think that they value their position in medical school more highly because they never thought it would happen and consequently work harder to stay where they are.

(Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    This is based in what I have seen in my own year. However, my sisters who are both Doctors and who went to different universities have often told me about people who got in on a hope and a prayer and who are now academically and technically excellent.My friends who have had excellent grades during high school are not doing as well at their particular universities.

I realize that this is all anecdotal but you must realize that there are no statistics on this one so you are going to have to trust me here. I've nothing to gain by lying to you.

I think that these people change when they get to university. I think that they value their position in medical school more highly because they never thought it would happen and consequently work harder to stay where they are.
    Fair enough, but I find it kinda hard to believe that someone with Bs and Cs at A Level managed to get into medicine. I know that sounds harsh and probably big headed, but whatever. :/ However, my form tutor has to said to me that the people who do get these kinda grades at A Level could be more adapted to medicine than a straight A student due to the fact that medicine is more about the vast quantity of work that has to be learnt. He also said that the course isn't actually that hard.

And to Alex (the post above ThisLittlePiggy's), I know I'm not at uni, fair point, but I'm still entitled to question something I'm skeptical to.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but I find it kinda hard to believe that someone with Bs and Cs at A Level managed to get into medicine. I know that sounds harsh and probably big headed, but whatever. :/ However, my form tutor has to said to me that the people who do get these kinda grades at A Level could be more adapted to medicine than a straight A student due to the fact that medicine is more about the vast quantity of work that has to be learnt. He also said that the course isn't actually that hard.

And to Alex (the post above ThisLittlePiggy's), I know I'm not at uni, fair point, but I'm still entitled to question something I'm skeptical to.

i think he ment B&Cs at GCSE

i think he ment B&Cs at GCSE
    Ahhh my bad.
    But still, surely, the vast majority of medics have A*s, As and at the least Bs at GCSE?!?!?! :/

ReputationRep:
    I was replying about B's and C's in general.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for that comment, having read it back it was far too harsh! Good luck with your app anyway, if you get the grades your predicted you should be on a good foot Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh my bad.
    But still, surely, the vast majority of medics have A*s, As and at the least Bs at GCSE?!?!?! :/

iv got 3A*s, 1A, 5B's and 3C's

and im gonna strugle to get into a medical school of my choice

ReputationRep:
    iv got 3A*s, 1A, 5B's and 3C's

and im gonna strugle to get into a medical school of my choice
    Where are you applying?

(Original post by Alex D)
    Sorry for that comment, having read it back it was far too harsh! Good luck with your app anyway, if you get the grades your predicted you should be on a good foot Where are you applying?
    Nah it's fine and is a fair point.

Urm I'm thinking of Kings first choice :] Imperial, UCL and Newcastle for my other options now. But seriously, is medicine really worth applying for XD Seems so much hassle really. (People will now say I don't have the drive, but whatever!)

ReputationRep:
    Where are you applying?

UCL
    Imperial
    Soton
    BSMS

(its in my sig by the way on an an earlier post)

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's fine and is a fair point.

Urm I'm thinking of Kings first choice :] Imperial, UCL and Newcastle for my other options now. But seriously, is medicine really worth applying for XD Seems so much hassle really. (People will now say I don't have the drive, but whatever!)

but **** me its worth the hasstle,

NEVER think like that, it will be soooooooooo worth it in the end!!!!!

just think Positive as often as possible!!!

ReputationRep:
    lostphotobooth, it is relatively stressful but it's all worth it in the end! If you don't get in first time, you should definitely try again! To jjkkll, I'd guess those GCSE's would be alright for those uni's, a good BMAT would obviously be a big help for UCL and Imperial but I'm sure you already know that as you seem clued up on the admissions process.

ReputationRep:
    lostphotobooth, it is relatively stressful but it's all worth it in the end! If you don't get in first time, you should definitely try again! To jjkkll, I'd guess those GCSE's would be alright for those uni's, a good BMAT would obviously be a big help for UCL and Imperial but I'm sure you already know that as you seem clued up on the admissions process.

thanks , but it always worrys me that im up against thousands of applicatnts with straight As and A*s.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be ok! Soton has never struck me as a uni who will discount someone for the fact they don't have straight A*'s. As they don't interview they seem to like a really good, insightful p.s.!

Yeah, the thing I'm most scared of is rejection for failure...which will be the first time I've ever "failed" anything. I've never failed an exam or anything so it's kinda scary knowing that four rejections are possible...

Not sure if it's worth going through Ucas Clearing or whatever it is you go through if I don't get any offers. However, my personal statement is geared strongly towards medicine, (which is why I'm definitely not applying for a fifth choice) and if I do go through Ucas Clearing, I'd want to do something like chemistry or biomed sciences, and then going into medicine through a graduate entry programme.

Applying the year after would have an advantage in terms of experience and maturity but I feel being out of education that long, it would be more of a disadvantage in the long run for someone as lazy as me. And yes I am very lazy XD and I know that'll have to change if I get a place at a MedSchool of my choice!

Alex, just out of curiosity, are you a med student right now? And if so, what medschool do you *attend* (not sure that's the right term)? Also, yet another question; what medschools did you apply for, how many offers, interviews, yada yada did you get? :] Hope that doesn't come across as nosy, am just interested!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.