The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Alex D
You'll be ok! :smile: Soton has never struck me as a uni who will discount someone for the fact they don't have straight A*'s. As they don't interview they seem to like a really good, insightful p.s.!

what about UCL or imperial?
Reply 141
I'm hopefully starting at Leicester this September. I applied to Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle and Dundee, only got an interview from Leicester; this was no doubt due to my mediocre GCSE's and AS's so I'm very grateful for my offer :biggrin:
Reply 142
jjkkll

isnt it supposed to be like that?? they are supposed to look at you as a person.... PS and grades and work experience.

thank god i dont need to do send in my 10th grade results (same time you did GCSEs) :biggrin: really slacked off then .... like REALLY slacked..
Reply 143
jjkkll

Just from what I know and have heard, I'd think unless you got something like AABB/AAAB/AAAA at AS and 20 on the BMAT, I'd guess Imperial will be a challenge. However, UCL seems to be quite fair when it comes to GCSE's and a BMAT of something like 17 along with BBBB at AS level (I think that's what I've heard a UCL student say is acceptable for UCL) should be you in good stead. But you never know, you could get interviews from both. As long as your gonna be happy at any of the uni's your applying to, you won't go far wrong :smile:
Reply 144
Alex D
Just from what I know and have heard, I'd think unless you got something like AABB/AAAB/AAAA at AS and 20 on the BMAT, I'd guess Imperial will be a challenge. However, UCL seems to be quite fair when it comes to GCSE's and a BMAT of something like 17 along with BBBB at AS level (I think that's what I've heard a UCL student say is acceptable for UCL) should be you in good stead. But you never know, you could get interviews from both. As long as your gonna be happy at any of the uni's your applying to, you won't go far wrong :smile:

mmm problem

im looing at getting ABB/BBB @ AS with AAA/AAB Predicitions @ A2 and a B for the Other AS. (but then i will retake to get AAA @ AS in Jan 2009, but thats after the applicaitons dedline so it wont help)

what about with those AS results and A2 predicitons?

but my school dont cash the AS grades in if im continuing the course, so is there any point in getting my refferee to put AS grades = BBB or ABB or whatever??
Reply 145
I got ABBC, admittedly I was ill during my chem exam so the C should have been an A! I think those AS results will be fine. If your predicted AAB, have you got another choice in mind to replace Imperial? (I'd have thought your school would predict you AAA if you achieved those AS's!!) If your AS results are good let your referee put your AS grades down, it won't harm!
Reply 146
Alex D
I got ABBC, admittedly I was ill during my chem exam so the C should have been an A! I think those AS results will be fine. If your predicted AAB, have you got another choice in mind to replace Imperial? (I'd have thought your school would predict you AAA if you achieved those AS's!!) If your AS results are good let your referee put your AS grades down, it won't harm!

if i get those AS results then my teachers have told me they will give me AAA, but my bio teacher said if you get a High B overall and ill predict you an A!!! and no i have not got annother choice :frown: i guess im not expecting not getting AAA predicitions becuase im some what confident about getting the AS grades that i need, however i have considered "What if iv screwed up AS?" but i can only wait till results day and cross that hurdle when i get to it!!!

erm what would you consider good AS grades????

where did you apply? where did you gett offers and where are you now?

What were your A2 Pedictions, GCSE reults, Voluntary work Ect????
Reply 147
Good AS's probably start about ABBB/AABB! I applied to Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle and Dundee. Only got an offer from Leicester due to my slightly dodgy grades but I'm hopefully starting at Leicester in September. My A2 predictions were AAA, I got 1A*, 3A's, 5B's and 2C's at GCSE. I did a week in surgery, a week in ortho rehab, 2 weeks at GP and had 8 months hospital voluntary work.
Reply 148
Alex D
Good AS's probably start about ABBB/AABB! I applied to Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle and Dundee. Only got an offer from Leicester due to my slightly dodgy grades but I'm hopefully starting at Leicester in September. My A2 predictions were AAA, I got 1A*, 3A's, 5B's and 2C's at GCSE. I did a week in surgery, a week in ortho rehab, 2 weeks at GP and had 8 months hospital voluntary work.

thats prety similar to me!!!

so if i get ABBC/BBBD at AS should i not declare them an go along with my schools policy???
Reply 149
lostphotobooth

Applying the year after would have an advantage in terms of experience and maturity but I feel being out of education that long, it would be more of a disadvantage in the long run for someone as lazy as me. And yes I am very lazy XD and I know that'll have to change if I get a place at a MedSchool of my choice!

The thing is, about applying the next year, because the admissions process and UCAS is so early in the year, you really don't have a chance to get 'lazy'. I'm reapplying and it isn't too long since I've finished year 13 and already I have booked my UKCAT and am starting to re-draft my Personal Statment, trust me, it comes around fast again!

Also, taking the graduate entry med course is longer (even if you choose to intercalate for an honours degree in a regular undergrad medical course) and more competitive to get into, so if you ask me, if you get 4 rejections, it's worth making yourself a worthwhile gap year and applying again. Hopefully I'm not going to let myself get lazy at all, get a job as a HCA or something (that's what I've done, starting in September hopefully), that way you are busy every day and also constantly in a hospital environment!

Well, at the end of the day, I'm hoping all this advice is irrelevant anyway and that you'll get plenty of offers! Best of luck,

--Dave
Reply 150
jjkkll
iv got 3A*s, 1A, 5B's and 3C's

and im gonna strugle to get into a medical school of my choice :frown:

this is an avarage i would say. getting a B or a C is not the end of the world. i had a B in English Lang at GCSE and got into everywhere apart from Oxford. universities believe that some people are late developers :rolleyes: .

lostphotobooth
Yeah, the thing I'm most scared of is rejection for failure...which will be the first time I've ever "failed" anything. I've never failed an exam or anything so it's kinda scary knowing that four rejections are possible...

if you are applying for a subject like medicine, you got to prepare yourself for receiving at least one rejection. it doesnt mean you are not good enough or that medicine isnt for you, it just comes to show the level of competition.

lostphotobooth
if I do go through Ucas Clearing, I'd want to do something like chemistry or biomed sciences, and then going into medicine through a graduate entry programme.

i wouldnt recommend it: one, its extremly competitive and two, its going to get a lot more expensive by the time you apply. my advice is gap year but hopefully you will get in fist time round :yep:

jjkkll
but my school dont cash the AS grades in if im continuing the course, so is there any point in getting my refferee to put AS grades = BBB or ABB or whatever??

my school doesn't cash in if you are resitting (cant remember the exact term for cancelling your grades if you are re-taking) and when i saw my reference, the referee had put all my AS results before saying anything else about me!
Reply 151
malaz_197
this is an avarage i would say. getting a B or a C is not the end of the world. i had a B in English Lang at GCSE and got into everywhere apart from Oxford. universities believe that some people are late developers :rolleyes: .

Thanks!!! exactly its average, which means there are thousands of people with above average GCSE grades no???

malaz_197
if you are applying for a subject like medicine, you got to prepare yourself for receiving at least one rejection. it doesnt mean you are not good enough or that medicine isnt for you, it just comes to show the level of competition.

im preparing myself for 2/3 rejections and quite possibly 4.

malaz_197
my school doesn't cash in if you are resitting (cant remember the exact term for cancelling your grades if you are re-taking) and when i saw my reference, the referee had put all my AS results before saying anything else about me!

well my referee said that it was up to me whether she put my as results in the refference!!

ill only put them down if i get ABBC!! as it is very likely that i will get BBBD before my jan 09 retakes!!
jjkkll

well my referee said that it was up to me whether she put my as results in the refference!!

Note that UCL require that, in your reference, as well as A2 predictions, you must have either AS levels already achieved or AS predictions.
Reply 153
jjkkll
Thanks!!! exactly its average, which means there are thousands of people with above average GCSE grades no???

Well I think he meant average for a Medicine applicant. And it is true I guess that the 'average' medical applicant won't get in but there is SO much more than just your GCSE grades. There are far more areas of your application which you can shine in which will put you in a very strong position, Medicine can be a lottery sometimes...who know's, you might get 4 offers! Things like, AS and A2 predictions, Work Experience, Personal skills/attributes, Passion/Drive for Medicine, Aptitude tests. Keep your head down, work hard and hopefully you'll get an offer or several!

im preparing myself for 2/3 rejections and quite possibly 4.

At the end of the day though even the people who get 4 offers only get to choose one, that's all you need, one offer.

Cheers,

--Dave
Reply 154
Spencer Wells
Note that UCL require that, in your reference, as well as A2 predictions, you must have either AS levels already achieved or AS predictions.

crappy... in that case can i put both??

like BBBC with AAAB predictions

and then like AAA A2 predictions?

really my referee told me that with previous applicants, they just stated that AS results are not cashed in!!
Reply 155
-42-
Well I think he meant average for a Medicine applicant. And it is true I guess that the 'average' medical applicant won't get in but there is SO much more than just your GCSE grades. There are far more areas of your application which you can shine in which will put you in a very strong position, Medicine can be a lottery sometimes...who know's, you might get 4 offers! Things like, AS and A2 predictions, Work Experience, Personal skills/attributes, Passion/Drive for Medicine, Aptitude tests. Keep your head down, work hard and hopefully you'll get an offer or several!

At the end of the day though even the people who get 4 offers only get to choose one, that's all you need, one offer.

Cheers,

--Dave

Thanks Dave!!

i have all the correct qualities of a medic, i have quite alot of volunteering, and i will be participating in a London Ambulence Ressusitation training Day which will show my leadership skill as i will be taught how to deal with streesful situations and how to take control of them!!.

its just whether i will be able to portray these qualities effectively!!

and from the 4 places i wish too apply 1 offer is all i need!!!:biggrin:
jjkkll
crappy... in that case can i put both??

like BBBC with AAAB predictions

and then like AAA A2 predictions?

really my referee told me that with previous applicants, they just stated that AS results are not cashed in!!

UCL (and indeed the other London med schools) have really tightened their entry criteria recently.

RFUCMS prospectus
The reference on the UCAS application must list both the A-level and the additional AS-level grade predictions in order for the candidate to be considered further.

So your referee could put your A2 predictions of AAA, plus your AS level predictions (because you are resitting your AS levels, you haven't cashed them in, so you can't put the grades you got) of AAAB.
Reply 157
Spencer Wells
UCL (and indeed the other London med schools) have really tightened their entry criteria recently.

So your referee could put your A2 predictions of AAA, plus your AS level predictions (because you are resitting your AS levels, you haven't cashed them in, so you can't put the grades you got) of AAAB.

so does that mean that my referree will have to put

A2 Predictions = AAA
AS Predictions = AAAB

OR

A2 Predicitons = AAA
AS Achived = BBBC/ABBC

OR

A2 Predictions = AAA
Additional AS Prediction = b
The bottom one.
Reply 159
Seeing as you seem exceedingly clued up with your medical school's admissions procedure Mr Wells could you give me any advice with a wee admissions questions?

I've asked UCL directly by email but they weren't terribly clear - I'm going to be applying on a Gap Year (working as a HCA then travelling to China to teach English in Febrauary). If I was called for interview do you think they'd be able to get it done + a decision on my application made before I go away? I've heard that January is set aside for gap year interviewees but I've heard a lot of different stories really.

Cheers,

--Dave

Latest

Trending

Trending