The Student Room Group

Best UK universities for Mechanical Engineering

Hi everyone, I am looking to pursue the MEng(Integrated Master's) Degree in Mechanical Engineering in a top UK university part from Oxbridge mainly because of the fact that it is very expensive for international students. I am considering to apply to the following universities:
University of Bath
University of Bristol
University of Warwick
University of Leeds
University of Loughborough
I got predicted 2A*in maths and physics and A in chemistry. I am also doing further maths from outside school.
Is this a good combination. What suggestions and other advice you guys have? Thank you in advance and have a good day.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samuditha
Hi everyone, I am looking to pursue the MEng(Integrated Master's) Degree in Mechanical Engineering in a top UK university part from Oxbridge mainly because of the fact that it is very expensive for international students. I am considering to apply to the following universities:
University of Bath
University of Bristol
University of Warwick
University of Leeds
I got predicted 2A*in maths and physics and A in chemistry. I am also doing further maths from outside school.
Is this a good combination. What suggestions and other advice you guys have? Thank you in advance and have a good day.

Oxford and Imperial cost about the same (including accommodation) for international students and would be my top choices. Maths, FM and Physics is ideal.
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
Oxford and Imperial cost about the same (including accommodation) for international students and would be my top choices. Maths, FM and Physics is ideal.

Well, I could give Imperial a shot. How do other universities like Southampton, Lancaster, and Manchester suit for Mechanical Engineering? And also, which do you think are the best 5 to put on my UCAS application.
Southampton is considered very strong for engineering, certainly on par with and possibly "better" than several of those other universities you have noted. Loughborough is a good option imo as they're generlaly considered well for STEM courses and have good connections to industry. Bristol has a lot of nearby aerospace industry and probably some connections with the university that you might be able to exploit there.

Otherwise my impression is Warwick is a bit lesser than the other universities for engineering - it's best known for its mathematics, CS, and economics departments. I believe Bath has a strong civil engineering course but I'm not familiar with it's mechanical engineering department.

If you wouldn't mind applying to Scotland (and not just England) Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt are very well regarded and particularly have excellent connections to industry and graduate placement records - they are quite highly recruited from by engineering firms as I understand.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Southampton is considered very strong for engineering, certainly on par with and possibly "better" than several of those other universities you have noted. Loughborough is a good option imo as they're generlaly considered well for STEM courses and have good connections to industry. Bristol has a lot of nearby aerospace industry and probably some connections with the university that you might be able to exploit there.

Otherwise my impression is Warwick is a bit lesser than the other universities for engineering - it's best known for its mathematics, CS, and economics departments. I believe Bath has a strong civil engineering course but I'm not familiar with it's mechanical engineering department.

If you wouldn't mind applying to Scotland (and not just England) Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt are very well regarded and particularly have excellent connections to industry and graduate placement records - they are quite highly recruited from by engineering firms as I understand.

Thank You so much! I will definitely look into Southampton over Warwick. Furthermore, I will consider Scottish universities as well. Just one last question what do you think of Leeds?
Thank You so much! I will definitely look into Southampton over Warwick. Furthermore, I will consider Scottish universities as well. Just one last question what do you think of Leeds?

I think they're generally well regarded, and I believe their chemical engineering course is meant to be quite well established (and as I understand they have a number of connections to the oil and gas industry through both their chemE and geology courses/departments). I don't know much about their mechanical engineering course specifically though unfortunately...
University of Bath
University of Bristol
University of Warwick
University of Leeds

How are you defining the "best"? And where are you intending on working after graduation - are you looking to stay in the UK, your home country, or somewhere else?
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
How are you defining the "best"? And where are you intending on working after graduation - are you looking to stay in the UK, your home country, or somewhere else?

Good question. Firstly, by "Best" the institution must be renowned, have good student satisfaction and good research opportunities. Secondly, I haven't quite decided where I am intending on working after graduation, probably the UK but not certain.
Good question. Firstly, by "Best" the institution must be renowned, have good student satisfaction and good research opportunities. Secondly, I haven't quite decided where I am intending on working after graduation, probably the UK but not certain.

I think all of your choices are pretty good, really. Not much to set them apart other than their locations, and I understand it'd be difficult to actually visit them to decide for yourself. Are they all similar in terms of fees? What about overall costs (e.g. including living expenses, etc.)?
University of Bath
University of Bristol
University of Warwick
University of Leeds

Hi @Samuditha,

Our Mechanical Engineering Degree sits within our Wolfson School of Engineering, one of our three engineering schools. Are you looking to do the 5year MEng (includes a placement year) or the 4year MEng? I would recommend doing a placement if you can as it provides you with a greater understanding of the industry and gives you more practical experience to apply your knowledge. Mechanical Engineering provides a number of opportunities and is one of more popular engineering programmes due to its broad modules covering brief elements of other disciplines. We offer a large number of optional modules within the programme as well so you can tailor our degree more towards your interests in your later years of study.

Students from all engineering disciplines are also welcome to join our Women's Engineering Society and/ or LU Motorsport.

Loughborough as a whole is a great place to study. Our Student's Union provides numerous outside opportunities for our students to get involved in alongside loads of clubs and societies you can join based on your interests. Whilst we are known for our sporting history and do offer a large amount of clubs/ activities you can join depending on the level you want to play at, we also have many other facilities available such as LU Arts.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions about Loughborough in particular feel free to PM us.

Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:
Hi there :smile:

Here at the University of Bath, we have a variety of streams within the mechanical engineering department, allowing you to tailor your degree programme to best match your interests:
Aerospace Engineering
Integrated Design Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering with Manufacturing and Managment
Mechanical Engineering with Automotive Engineering

The first 2 years of the degree of the same and then you have the flexiblity to choose any of the above. All of the above are MEng with an optional placement year, which I would highly recommend. The engineering placement team are highly supported in helping you to get placements. Bath has an excellent industrial repuation so Bath students are highly sought after. Some placements are only open to Bath students!

Your A-level choices sound excellent. You meet the requirements and further maths will set you up to find the course slightly easier.

Do let me know if you have any questions about Bath :smile:

Leah
3rd Year Chemical Engineering

How would you compare engineering at Bristol, Durham and Warwick? Specifically the general engineering courses if possible?
Original post by randomlyspecific
How would you compare engineering at Bristol, Durham and Warwick? Specifically the general engineering courses if possible?

Bristol is right in the heart of the British aerospace industry and so has a lot of good connections just by virtue of its location (even aside from other links) so it's a decent option on that basis. Durham is generally well regarded but I don't really know much about it's engineering course specifically. Warwick is best known for its maths, CS, and business departments; while engineering does exist in something of a nexus of these areas, and may benefit from association and those department's links to various industries. I don't know of the department being noteworthy on its own, compared to e.g. Southampton, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, Imperial, Oxbridge and so on.

This is of course just my personal opinion :smile:
Bristol is right in the heart of the British aerospace industry and so has a lot of good connections just by virtue of its location (even aside from other links) so it's a decent option on that basis. Durham is generally well regarded but I don't really know much about it's engineering course specifically. Warwick is best known for its maths, CS, and business departments; while engineering does exist in something of a nexus of these areas, and may benefit from association and those department's links to various industries. I don't know of the department being noteworthy on its own, compared to e.g. Southampton, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, Imperial, Oxbridge and so on.

This is of course just my personal opinion :smile:

Thank you @artful_lounger
Original post by University of Bath

Here at the University of Bath, we have a variety of streams within the mechanical engineering department, allowing you to tailor your degree programme to best match your interests:
Aerospace Engineering
Mechanical Engineering

The first 2 years of the degree of the same and then you have the flexiblity to choose any of the above. All of the above are MEng with an optional placement year, which I would highly recommend. The engineering placement team are highly supported in helping you to get placements. Bath has an excellent industrial repuation so Bath students are highly sought after. Some placements are only open to Bath students!

Your A-level choices sound excellent. You meet the requirements and further maths will set you up to find the course slightly easier.

Leah

Hello!

I just got an offer from the University of Bath for MEng in Mechanical engineering. I did not apply for the placement year, but since so many people recommend it, I was wondering if you could opt for a placement year after starting your MEng degree? And do you have any idea as to what kind of jobs Mechanical Engineering graduates from Bath get into?

Varun.
Original post by Varun2111
Hello!

I just got an offer from the University of Bath for MEng in Mechanical engineering. I did not apply for the placement year, but since so many people recommend it, I was wondering if you could opt for a placement year after starting your MEng degree? And do you have any idea as to what kind of jobs Mechanical Engineering graduates from Bath get into?

Varun.

Yes, as long as u get a placement at a company (I believe)
https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/what-do-first-degree-bath-graduates-do/#faculty-of-engineering-design
Hello!

Varun.

Hi there!

Congratulations on your offer :smile: Yes, you can switch onto the placement course if you are successful in applying. If you are a Tier 4 Visa student, it can be a little more tricky as you have to reapply as the courses are different but it can still be done. If you are a home or EU student it is very easy and you will be able to do it when you get to Bath.

There are so many different companies which Bath students go to. From big companies such as Rolls Royce, Mercedes and Airbus to smaller companies, there is something to suit a huge variety of interests. If you have a look at this page, you can get an insight from students on placement and see the kind of thing you might get up to.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Leah
Thanks for your reply! Do most Bath Mechanical engineering graduates get into technical, engineering related jobs? And would a graduate without a placement year also have good prospects?I'm from India, so are there any issues with International students getting jobs in the UK? And have you heard of graduates getting jobs outside of the UK or in their home country?All these questions are regarding the Meng Mechanical Engineering degree. I look forward to your reply!
Reply 18
Original post by University of Bath

Aerospace Engineering
Mechanical Engineering

Leah

My son applied for Mechanical with Automotive at Bath but has been offered Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering as an alternative. Do you know much about this course and if the students enjoy it?
Thanks for your reply! Do most Bath Mechanical engineering graduates get into technical, engineering related jobs? And would a graduate without a placement year also have good prospects?I'm from India, so are there any issues with International students getting jobs in the UK? And have you heard of graduates getting jobs outside of the UK or in their home country?All these questions are regarding the Meng Mechanical Engineering degree. I look forward to your reply!

Hi there - apologies for the delayed response. I did not see your reply - be sure to quote me next time or I may not see it :smile:

Unfortunately I do not have the stats on any of the questions you have asked.

As far as I am aware, if you want to obtain a job in technical engineering, you should have a good chance of getting one. Most people who do not obtain one preferred to go into an non-engineering sector, such as finance. Bath grads are highly regarded and mechanical engineers are in great demand with a broad spectrum of pathways available to them. I am unsure about placement year vs. not placement year statistics. I would definitely recommend a placement year - industry skills are invaluable and often not something you can be taught at University. However, you would still have good prospects without it, as I said above. It just means your application is less competitive compared to those with industrial experience which could be a disadvantage for very competitive graduate schemes with large companies.

Unfortunately I do not know graduate statistics for international students. You can email [email protected] to speak directly to a mechanical engineering student who may have more information on this. I do know that Bath has a dedicated career service who provide excellent career guidance, particularly for international students.

Apologies I could not provide you with exact answers but I hope this helps!

Leah

Quick Reply

Latest