SLT2Be
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I'm not sure how to order my reference list, we're using APA format but I don't know what order to put my references in at the bottom.
For example, for these references:
Tompkins (2002)
Tompkins (2012)
Tompkins & Lehman (1998)
Tompkins, Baumgaertner, Lehman-Blake & Fassbinder (2000)
Tompkins, Fassbinder, Lehman-Blake & Baumgaertner (2002)
Tompkins, Fassbinber, Lehman-Blake, Baumgaertner & Jayaram (2004)
Tompkins, Klepousniotou & Scott (2017)
Tompkins & Scott (2017)
Am I supposed to order these by date or alphabetically by second author? Do I put all the solo Tompkins ones first, and the collaborations underneath?
Thanks
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SLT2Be)
Hi,
I'm not sure how to order my reference list, we're using APA format but I don't know what order to put my references in at the bottom.
Tompkins (2002)
Tompkins (2012)
Tompkins & Lehman (1998)
Tompkins & Scott (2017)
Am I supposed to order these by date or alphabetically by second author? Do I put all the solo Tompkins ones first, and the collaborations underneath?
Thanks
It would be best to contact your lecturer and ask about how they should be formatted. Does your university have a referencing guide?

I don't use the APA format at my university, but I would order them with the solo Tompkins first, then alphabetically by second author. This would be the correct way for my format, but I'm not sure if it's the same for APA.
SLT2Be
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It would be best to contact your lecturer and ask about how they should be formatted. Does your university have a referencing guide?

I don't use the APA format at my university, but I would order them with the solo Tompkins first, then alphabetically by second author. This would be the correct way for my format, but I'm not sure if it's the same for APA.
The referencing guide doesn't have any advice about it and I'm just worried that my lecturers won't be back at work until after the essay is due. Thank you for the advice, I'll try it like that
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SLT2Be)
Hi,
Tompkins (2002)
Tompkins (2012)
Tompkins & Lehman (1998)
Tompkins & Scott (2017)
Thanks
Generally with APA you order references alphabetically by authors (so if the first author is the same, order by second author, if first and second the same, order by third author and so on). If all the authors are the same (and in the same order of mention), you'd then order the articles chronologically starting with earliest first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)