george7george
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
aluminium fluoride sublimes to form a gas at 1291 C whilst aluminium chloride sublimes at 178 C. How do you explain this difference?
Medikj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Atoms in Aluminium Chloride are linked by a covalent bond. In aluminium fluoride, aluminium and fluorine are linked by an ionic bond. Since ionic bonding tends to be stronger than covalent bonding, it takes more energy to break ionic bonds, hence an higher temperature (more heat) for aluminium fluoride to sublime.
george7george
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
okay thanku really much
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Medikj)
Atoms in Aluminium Chloride are linked by a covalent bond. In aluminium fluoride, aluminium and fluorine are linked by an ionic bond. Since ionic bonding tends to be stronger than covalent bonding, it takes more energy to break ionic bonds, hence an higher temperature (more heat) for aluminium fluoride to sublime.
Some of this is correct.

Aluminium fluoride has a giant structure with strong ionic bonds.
Aluminium chloride has a simple structure with very strong covalent intramolecular bonds, but these are not broken on sublimation, it is the weak intermolecular forces (London forces, I think, but I have been drinking) that are overcome on sublimation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.05%
I'm not sure (3)
2.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.56%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (59)
45.74%

Watched Threads