Turn on thread page Beta

Alevel Biology/human Biology watch

• View Poll Results: Which one should i take? Biology or Human biology?
    biology
    89.66%
    human biology
    10.34%

ReputationRep:
    hi, i was wondering which one out of biology and human biology is more respected at university? as i'm struggling to pick one for AS. and what is the difference between them?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of the courses at red brick unis specify that they want biology not human biology. It's not too big a deal, because actually lots of places only ask for Chemistry for a biology degree, not bio (bizaarely) but if you're unsure then I'd go for straight Biology. It's far more respected, and any course that requires human bio knowledge will start from the basics anyway (not least because pretty much everything you learn at A-level is a lie :p:). If you're unsure then it doesn't make sense to cut yourself off. Personally I don't know anyone (even medics) who thinks human biology is more interesting than epidemiology or biochemistry (or in the case of non medics all the other cool stuff like ecology - which sucks at A-level and then gets very interesting at uni!)

ReputationRep:
    yh, agree totally, go for biology!

ReputationRep:
    Biology!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Bekaboo! so biology is it then? unless anybody else has any views on human biology, which makes it better than biology? lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'd stick with straight biology.

Plants are not as boring as people say they are. :p:

(Original post by βored)

Not because of that, but because it doesn't narrow your doors as much as Human Biology, even if Human Biology is far more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)

:lolwut: They so are. Translocation was OK, but, other then that, not good. Even the sexual innuendos grew tiresome after a while.

Oh, and OP, not sure, never looked into Human Biology. Biology IS more respected, but human biology might be more interesting?....Biology, though, does cover quite alot of material; Biochemistry, Genetic Engineering, Respiratory Systems........plants :p: , which can be a plus.

(Original post by βored)
    The mechanisms of photosynthesis are very interesting. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    The mechanisms of photosynthesis are very interesting. :yep:
    I found the biochemistry of respiration and photosynthesis really boring. :no:

I prefer more organism based biology; animals, plants, microbes. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    ...Human Biology is apparently much more difficult, also.

ReputationRep:
    Biology is probably the best option to take, as it doesn't narrow down your options like human biology does, and tends to be held in higher regard. And you might grow to like some of the plant/ecology stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Human Biology covers photosynthesis anyway, as there's something about how you can't have a Biology course at A Level that doesn't include photosynthesis...? Anyway, two of my friends did it. It does close more doors, because, as Bekaboo has already said, some universities specify that they do not accept it in place of Biology. Plus, if not harder, it's not taught so well, at least at my school. The grades tend to be much lower than in the Biology class. Having said that, one of my friends loved it so much she's starting a Human Biology degree in September (though you could do that with a Biology A Level anyway...).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 25, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.