Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitcat)
    I wanted to start my own thread.. i have the right to do that i think.
    I don't WANT you to say anything specific, i just wanted peoples opinions. Which it's fair to say i've got quite varied opinions. I didn't ask for insults though.
    A masterclass in how to fail at constructive debate:

1. Ignore opinions that differ from your own.
    2. ???
    3. Profit!

Oh, also:

(Original post by yaf)
    m sorry but if you are a size six you MUST eat less than a size 12 or do more excerise than a size 12 it really annoys me when people try to get around the facts!

as long as u are happy with the way you
    I'd recommend you support posts like this with science. It's entirely possible to eat as much as a size 12, exercise less than a size 12, and be thinner than a size 12. Simply put, the rate of your metabolism determines how much energy your body uses per day whilst at rest, and consequently how much food you can eat without gaining or losing weight. An obvious example of this in play is the difference between men and women, though this isn't the only place it exists. I'm not entirely sure of the details myself, but I believe a key factor is the ratio of brown:white fat cells. White fat cells are simply a store of energy, whereas brown fat cells use energy to create heat. A greater proportion of brown fat cells to white will increase the amount of energy your body uses whilst 'at rest'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't eat less at all. I think it's just my metabolism. And i hardly exercise either. I'm pretty lazy. I'm not getting around any facts.
    That sounds like me, and I'm very thin and quite tall as well, but it is much harder for girls than boys :hugs: It should get better as you get older though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This thread is ******ed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't eat less at all. I think it's just my metabolism. And i hardly exercise either. I'm pretty lazy. I'm not getting around any facts.
    Oh poor you. I'm sorry, I know I'm being unsympathetic, but do you have any idea how much girls wish that they could never exercise and remain slim and toned and eat whatever they want? And you're complaining about it? I bet that if your situation was reversed and you were struggling to lose that extra poundage you gained over Chrismas and spent ages puffing away on a treadmill you'd think VERY differently.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to want what they can't have.
    There's nothing wrong with her wanting to be a bit bigger. No matter what people say about slim model-type girls, the fact is that basically all guys want someone with something to hold on to. I have hardly any boobs and my 13-year old cousin's hips are bigger than mine, and I'm 17. I'm only a size 6/8 at 5'9'', and I hate it when people say I'm scrawny or too thin...No matter what you do I don't think you can change the way you're made though...my hips and boobs are small and no amount of eating will change that. I eat a good 2,500 kcals per day which is far too much according to the govt. but I don't see any growth.
    I personally don't feel very feminine-and although admittedly some things are easier to wear when you're thinner, it makes me feel like a total fool when I try on a pencil skirt and it's all baggy around my hips and bum, or when I want to get a waist cinching belt and the smallest hole is too loose (grrr dorothy perkins). It's not womanly at all when you're thin, you just feel like a child all the time. I totally sympathise with the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thanette)
    Remember you're only 17, OP...you'll prob even out in weight come your early 20's, as this is when your metabolism slows.
    I know that for some people their metabolism slows down as they get older, but I didn't realise it would be as soon as mid-twenties; are you sure this is a general thing; that metabolism slows in your mid-twenties, regardless of exercise and diet? It seems quite unlikely.

To the OP, I'm sorry but I can't see this thread as anything other than a way of fishing for compliments; I'm a size 6/8, and the only pressure being put on me to gain weight is from my mother; (who constantly bewails the fact that I'm anorexic when I eat completely normally). I'm happy with my size and have never wanted to be any bigger, and very much doubt that you really do either. Guys like size 12 girls and size 6 girls alike; they tend not to discriminate that much when it comes to size, and ones who do you shouldn't be bothered about.

As for curves, they're easy to cultivate; a couple of contrasting layers, a belt or something (you'll have to punch some extra holes into most of them), and hey presto - curves.

(Original post by RoadWarrior)
    That sounds like me, and I'm very thin and quite tall as well, but it is much harder for girls than boys
    I disagree with this; I think its much harder for boys who are really thin than girls. I know several boys who eat absolutely loads and just can never put on any weight, and this, combined with the fact that they're really tall, means they get really, almost skeletally thin and very weedy looking; it's not a look that girls particularly go for, and anyway, they get teased a lot by other boys who are more filled out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'6 and size 6. I'm not super-skinny or wanting to be or anything, it's just the way I am. I think no size should be pressured to be smaller/bigger just because of what guys are saying.

Anyway, I do find the whole situation a bit annoying - some time ago every second thread was like "Don't you think size 12 is better than size 6???" .. OP I can completly see your point in this case. Wonder why we don't see any "Blondes are better than brunettes" threads :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    When are slim girls EVER pressured to be bigger? Unless you're hitting the UK size 4/US size 0 mark, which is horrible, your size 6 figure is what most girls would love to be. And you know it.
    Very slim girls who complain about their figure really, really annoy me.
    Agree with this. I'd rather be a size six than a size sixteen, and so would most girls I know. Though an ideal size (if there is such a thing) for me is about 8 to 10, because I don't have teeny bones.

ReputationRep:
    When are slim girls EVER pressured to be bigger? Unless you're hitting the UK size 4/US size 0 mark, which is horrible, your size 6 figure is what most girls would love to be. And you know it.
    Very slim girls who complain about their figure really, really annoy me.
    you say we're not pressured to be bigger, but then you say that size 4 girls look horrible, is that not putting on pressure to not be size 4?

ReputationRep:
    I find women who eat regular meals and occasionally exercise to be sexy. I'm sure most men feel the same way.. end of thread.

ReputationRep:
    maybe youl get curves when you get a bit older..like 18/19.... be happy the way you are..if your trying to get curves..and it isnt working, be patient i guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Everyone seems to want what they can't have.
    There's nothing wrong with her wanting to be a bit bigger. No matter what people say about slim model-type girls, the fact is that basically all guys want someone with something to hold on to. I have hardly any boobs and my 13-year old cousin's hips are bigger than mine, and I'm 17. I'm only a size 6/8 at 5'9'', and I hate it when people say I'm scrawny or too thin...No matter what you do I don't think you can change the way you're made though...my hips and boobs are small and no amount of eating will change that. I eat a good 2,500 kcals per day which is far too much according to the govt. but I don't see any growth.
    I personally don't feel very feminine-and although admittedly some things are easier to wear when you're thinner, it makes me feel like a total fool when I try on a pencil skirt and it's all baggy around my hips and bum, or when I want to get a waist cinching belt and the smallest hole is too loose (grrr dorothy perkins). It's not womanly at all when you're thin, you just feel like a child all the time. I totally sympathise with the OP.

THANKYOU!
    That's exactly what i wanted to say, but sometimes i get all muddled up and with these people criticising me basically because i'm skinny and they can't see what's wrong with it. THAT'S whats wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree to some extent that naturally petite girls have pressuse over their body. Especially as so many celebrities come out and say how they prefer to have their curves and how much men like them with their bust etc and they wouldnt want to be a tiny size. It seems that curves are good, but only when they are in the right places. Its one of those things where you can't win sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    you say we're not pressured to be bigger, but then you say that size 4 girls look horrible, is that not putting on pressure to not be size 4?
    Thats not me putting pressure on anyone, thats just my opinion. And also, how many women are naturally a size 4? Victoria Beckham isnt. Nicole Ritchie certainly isnt. The whole concept of the size 4/size 0 didnt even exist till a couple of years ago! No one had ever heard of such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to face the cold hard facts: psychologically a slender woman is more sexually appealing than a big woman. You might not like it but that's just how it is, how it was, and how it will always be

ReputationRep:
    Thats not me putting pressure on anyone, thats just my opinion. And also, how many women are naturally a size 4? Victoria Beckham isnt. Nicole Ritchie certainly isnt. The whole concept of the size 4/size 0 didnt even exist till a couple of years ago! No one had ever heard of such a thing.
    How do you know? You might not of heard of anyone that's naturally a size 4 but that doesn't mean there wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    What's wrong with replying to a thread in the thread?

Some people are size 6 without wanting to be. Some people are size 16 without wanting to be. Some people have one leg shorter than the other. Some people are ugly. What do you want us to say? I don't think anyone's saying they'd never date someone of your size, but on the other hand, if they choose not to date you, you can't call discrimination and say "well I didn't ask to be thin" and expect them to say "oh, well I guess I'm attracted to you after all then!".

:confused: This is just generally a crap thread.
    Not a crap thread at all...in my opinion,and I don't think the OP should be made to feel that posting her worries is crap whether it be size 6 or 600 anxiety, massive hooter or whatever. Many come on here just to vent/express niggles they havethat they don't want to share publicly-poss cos they're worried of cynical reactions outside. Basically OP, most of us at some point are not wholly happy with our appearances, whether it be fat, thin-whatever. Try not to worry though; you look lovely in the pic; sure it's not the case for the majority of lads liking size 12 girls, people will all vary in what they think is attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Thats only cos of size inflation though.
    I take a size 4 top in hennes, and yes it is natural

EDIT: And look at people like Audrey Hepburn (the real person, not the person with the TSR name) she must have been a size 0

ReputationRep:
    Wind your neck in Antonia87.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galatea)
    I know that for some people their metabolism slows down as they get older, but I didn't realise it would be as soon as mid-twenties; are you sure this is a general thing; that metabolism slows in your mid-tweenties, regardless of exercise and diet? I seems quite unlikely.

To the OP, I'm sorry but I can't see this thread as anything other than a way of fishing for compliments; I'm a size 6/8, and the only pressure being put on me to gain weight is from my mother; (who constantly bewails the fact that I'm anorexic when I eat completely normally). I'm happy with my size and have never wanted to be any bigger, and very much doubt that you really do either. Guys like size 12 girls and size 6 girls alike; they tend not to discriminate that much when it comes to size, and ones who do you shouldn't be bothered about.

As for curves, they're easy to cultivate; a couple of contrasting layers, a belt or something, and hey presto - curves.

Meant to begin slowing down in early 20's, then much more during 30's to 40's-but yes, it does vary from person to person-and a big factor in maintaining a fast metabolism can be through regular exercise and meals.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.