Can I go to an American University with an apprenticeship????

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I‘v probably spent hours trying to research this but I can’t find anything. I want to go to a US university (preferably in Los Angeles) but I want to complete a Level 3/Advanced apprenticeship instead of A Levels, B tech or any other “classroom” type of thing. (I’m in year 11 now btw). Can someone please tell me if American universities will accept me with only GCSE grades or not? I really like the idea of doing an apprenticeship now and tbh I can’t imagine not living in the USA, it’s been my dream for many years and I read that university is the safest route to getting a work visa, etc. Please only serious replies and thanks in advance
Jgradschool
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I‘v probably spent hours trying to research this but I can’t find anything. I want to go to a US university (preferably in Los Angeles) but I want to complete a Level 3/Advanced apprenticeship instead of A Levels, B tech or any other “classroom” type of thing. (I’m in year 11 now btw). Can someone please tell me if American universities will accept me with only GCSE grades or not? I really like the idea of doing an apprenticeship now and tbh I can’t imagine not living in the USA, it’s been my dream for many years and I read that university is the safest route to getting a work visa, etc. Please only serious replies and thanks in advance
No. No decent university in the US will accept you with just GCSEs. To get most universities in the US or specifically in LA (USC or UCLA) you'll have to have A Levels and sit the SAT or ACT exams.

If you want to move to the USA you can do a STEM-focused apprenticeship and then try to apply for a work visa as a skilled STEM worker.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you clearly haven't spent even 1 minute researching the topic. if you're going to be lazy at least don't lie about it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jgradschool)
No. No decent university in the US will accept you with just GCSEs. To get most universities in the US or specifically in LA (USC or UCLA) you'll have to have A Levels and sit the SAT or ACT exams.

If you want to move to the USA you can do a STEM-focused apprenticeship and then try to apply for a work visa as a skilled STEM worker.
Thank you for your help
ohdearstudying
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They ask for A Levels as an alternative to sitting the SAT or ACT but that limits your ability to apply for scholarships (or to receive large %). If you are serious about it do A Levels and then also the SAT or ACT to be eligible for scholarships.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
They ask for A Levels as an alternative to sitting the SAT or ACT but that limits your ability to apply for scholarships (or to receive large %). If you are serious about it do A Levels and then also the SAT or ACT to be eligible for scholarships.
So just to clarify, I can do an apprenticeship instead of A Levels and still stand a chance at getting into a US university as long as I take the SAT or ACT. Do you think that if I take both of these exams and do exceptionally well on both and have mostly 7s with 2 or 3 8s on my GCSEs, I could be considered by good/average universities and for some kind of financial aid, whether its scholarships of student loans? I'm not saying that I would do that well on the SAT/ACT but let's just pretend for now. 😅
ohdearstudying
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So just to clarify, I can do an apprenticeship instead of A Levels and still stand a chance at getting into a US university as long as I take the SAT or ACT. Do you think that if I take both of these exams and do exceptionally well on both and have mostly 7s with 2 or 3 8s on my GCSEs, I could be considered by good/average universities and for some kind of financial aid, whether its scholarships of student loans? I'm not saying that I would do that well on the SAT/ACT but let's just pretend for now. 😅
No. I am saying you do A Levels as the bare minimum, then do the SAT or ACT additionally. If you are going to do well on the SAT and ACT then why are you not doing A Levels.

For much MUCH less competitive universities a BTEC may be considered but I see it as pointless as you can get into top UK institutions such as Exeter with solely a BTEC qualification.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
No. I am saying you do A Levels as the bare minimum, then do the SAT or ACT additionally. If you are going to do well on the SAT and ACT then why are you not doing A Levels.

For much MUCH less competitive universities a BTEC may be considered but I see it as pointless as you can get into top UK institutions such as Exeter with solely a BTEC qualification.
Oh ok I see. Thank you for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (43)
27.56%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.97%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise