The Student Room Group

Don't understand the concept of non straight marriage..

Scroll to see replies

The Abrahamic religions didn’t invent marriage.
Original post by Anonymous
if you follow a religion, which makes laws, according to what "people" think is right, that means it's no longer a religion. Regardless, that's not even the point here, what i meant if i wasn't straight, i would not get married in church or mosque, which encouraged religious people in the past to stone or hang the non straights to death. Perhaps i would change my religion to hinduism or something else in order to get married ( if i involve a religion that is).

That's the thing though. Even Christians constantly argue between themselves about what they think God means by certain things. Why else do you have sects and denominations?

My Christian friend, for example, doesnt think drinking alcohol is acceptable because of his denomination.
Reply 22
I understand that people get married out of love, but when you involve religion into it, which forbids that kind of love, isn't it basically insulting the religion itself?

Hope so!
Reply 23
Original post by YaliaV
The Abrahamic religions didn’t invent marriage.

Ding ding, we have a winner!
from my knowledge, in all abrahamic religion, being anything apart from straight is forbidden so how do non straight people still manage to get married in church with a priest? it just doesn't make sense?

Is there a section of religious texts that forbids gay marraige. I know there are a few lines that define man + woman but to my knowledge nothing that says gay couples are forbidden.

And anyway, if God made us all then surely He made gay people too? The hypocrisy of religious texts is such that it is almost like they were conceived of and written by men looking to control how people behave and think!
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes you are right, the Bible is f*cked up which is why even the religious in the UK look at it with a pinch of salt and put our modern forward-thinking views first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending