Alternatives to Hip-Hop/Rap/Trap. Watch

vestigalrex510
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello.

I am looking to see if there is an alternative to Hip-Hop, Rap or trap out there.

However, I do want to avoid genres like mainstream pop (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc).

I am writing this because I am unsure of my options, I fear I would not fit into the 3 genres above.

Thank you.

Sam.
Nevi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by vestigalrex510)
Hello.

I am looking to see if there is an alternative to Hip-Hop, Rap or trap out there.

However, I do want to avoid genres like mainstream pop (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc).

I am writing this because I am unsure of my options, I fear I would not fit into the 3 genres above.

Thank you.

Sam.
My question is, why are you worrying about not fitting in?
Don’t feel like you absolutely must fit in to a genre/group, the world would be boring if everyone was the same and everyone “fitted in”. If you like something, you like it. Music being ‘unpopular’ is only someone else’s opinion and they don’t matter.
I find it amusing when people go out to antagonise me about my own music taste, like, of all the things in the world they could do and they choose to pick on me? Must be a boring world to live in
XD
vestigalrex510
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nevi)
My question is, why are you worrying about not fitting in?
Don’t feel like you absolutely must fit in to a genre/group, the world would be boring if everyone was the same and everyone “fitted in”. If you like something, you like it. Music being ‘unpopular’ is only someone else’s opinion and they don’t matter.
I'm just not sure what genre I would fit into other than Rap or Pop.
liam.ro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by vestigalrex510)
I'm just not sure what genre I would fit into other than Rap or Pop.
There's no 'fitting' in music. You just listen to what you enjoy listening to, whether it's because it moves you, makes you groove, or just sounds nice to you. So many genres are available for you to explore – here's a couple off the top of my head: rock (punk, garage, metal, psychedelic, alternative, indie), jazz (ragtime, ambient, fusion, acid, contemporary), soul (R&B, funk, gospel), folk (country, progressive, world), electronic (EDM, dubstep, electronica, techno, house) experimental (this can encompass virtually anything), and many, many more.

Out of those which I mentioned, modern R&B is probably most similar to hip-hop, rap and trap, so you may want to start there.
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Grime and drill are the most similar. Drill is underground and a very acquired taste, but I like it.
juugsailorshawty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Listen to Wish Me Well (album) by coldhart
Last edited by juugsailorshawty; 1 week ago
Kocytean
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not really sure what you're asking. There's a lot more music out there than hip-hop, trap and rap.

Since it sounds like you like hip-hop, maybe you'd like trip-hop - think Morcheeba, Portishead, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation... - it's a slow, sometimes melancholic, very chill, very vibey / trippy kind of music, with more of a focus on melody and texture/layering of sound, rather than the more chromatic, beat / rhythmic focus of the other kinds of music you mentioned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (128)
27.71%
1 (69)
14.94%
2 (71)
15.37%
3 (74)
16.02%
4 (37)
8.01%
5 (30)
6.49%