The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No websites to recommend. I would recommend the book Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin as an introduction. No maths in it but will give you a basic understanding of what it is and what it shows.
Reply 2
Plus one for Schrödinger's Cat!

Plus another for Schrödinger's Kittens! :biggrin:
That stephen hawking master of the universe was a good program that had some bits of quantum theory in it. Bit more focused on black holes though

(arrgh schrodingers cat... must resist... lame jokes...)
trance addict
That stephen hawking master of the universe was a good program that had some bits of quantum theory in it. Bit more focused on black holes though

(arrgh schrodingers cat... must resist... lame jokes...)

Lol. I wondered how long until you turned up :p:

Also, if you want something free to watch on the internet, Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe (which is on You Tube - not sure if legal) i seem to remember has an okay introduction on it. I get mixed up between the program and the book but i think it does a good job on introducing the basics as well as Relativity and their incompatibility. I would ignore the String Theory rubbish though :biggrin:
schrodinger's cat
Lol. I wondered how long until you turned up :p:

Also, if you want something free to watch on the internet, Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe (which is on You Tube - not sure if legal) i seem to remember has an okay introduction on it. I get mixed up between the program and the book but i think it does a good job on introducing the basics as well as Relativity and their incompatibility. I would ignore the String Theory rubbish though :biggrin:

This was the one time I saw your name and actually didnt think of making a joke when I read the thread title :p: all this talk of schrodingers cat is tempting though.

Definitly check out stephen hawking master of the universe since there was some japanese guy on it explaining a lot of quantum theory, as well as how sub atomic particles react around a black hole without any real complex maths. You can still catch it on 4od (I think)
Reply 6
"In Search of Schrödinger's Cat" by John Gribbin is a brilliant book. Read it.
Read Richard Feynman's 'QED' to get you cracking with that view on the universe, it's a great book and will be perfect for what you want!
Then if you are still interested go on to 'The New Quantum Universe' by Tony Hey and Patrick Walters is a good clear read with no mathematics to get in a muddle with!
I would suggest you read them in that order :smile:

(Woops you said websites... meh. You won't find anything as good as either of those 2 on the web, plus I don't think you will be able to find any comparable websites that will help you learn much on quantum theory)
Reply 8
bbc4 had a documentary with Jim Al-Khalili (sp.?) called 'Atom' which was awesome and I managed to find it on rapidshare a while ago (after much much searching) so it might still be available for download

or it may have been released on dvd by now

either way you should check it out, it was very good
MC REN
bbc4 had a documentary with Jim Al-Khalili (sp.?) called 'Atom' which was awesome and I managed to find it on rapidshare a while ago (after much much searching) so it might still be available for download

do you have to have 'zango' to have rapidshare library? Don't like adverts.
Reply 10
Complex number are bound to crop on in a discussion of quantum mech.
Mehh
Complex number are bound to crop on in a discussion of quantum mech.

complex numbers is what Penrose uses in his twister theory instead of going for 11 dimensions as in string theory.
Reply 12
MC REN

You can find it in parts on youtube, I watched all three of the episodes recently that way. If you can't find it on rapidshare just search for it on google videos or youtube.

The titles of the three episodes are: The clash of the titans, Key to the cosmos and the illusion of reality.

Really interesting series and it did a great job or explaining some of the concepts in as simpler way as possible.
Reply 13
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Whilst I did say websites, the suggestions are promising so it doesn't matter.

I just finished watching the first episode of Atom and Im thoroughly impressed, its clarified many things I read from slightly morer complez materials. AFter the videos I hope to read in seacrh of schrodingers cat. Once again, thanks.
Reply 15
Also have a look at www.porlhews.co.uk then go on physics stuff and year 1 notes - the notes on 'Quantum Physics and Relativity' are an alright starting point - bit of maths in there, but nothing too advanced. Note that the Quantum Physics starts in the later parts of the notes the relativity stuff is pretty good too though if you're interested :smile: (I should probably point out that these notes have been typed up by a former Manchester student while he was at Uni - they're really good and helped a lot with my revision this year)
Reply 16
trance addict
This was the one time I saw your name and actually didnt think of making a joke when I read the thread title :p: all this talk of schrodingers cat is tempting though.

Definitly check out stephen hawking master of the universe since there was some japanese guy on it explaining a lot of quantum theory, as well as how sub atomic particles react around a black hole without any real complex maths. You can still catch it on 4od (I think)

u mean Kaku?
threadcrash (instead of starting a separate thread):

could anyone please recommend a quantum theory book that a person with an AS in physics would be able to understand? just like an introduction sort of thing, which highlights the main principles of the theory.
Isometrix

could anyone please recommend a quantum theory book that a person with an AS in physics would be able to understand? just like an introduction sort of thing, which highlights the main principles of the theory.

Warped Passages by Lisa Randall. Today I was reading the section on the old quantum mechanics. I'm fairly new to it, and it is comprehensible, not unfathomable as I had expected. I also found her explanation of higher dimensions absolutely brilliant. In comparison relativity is merely stated almost as if it is 'out of the blue'.
Isometrix

Err, pretty much all the books recommended in this thread fit that criteria.

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin will explain the general concepts from the most basic level and no with no maths.

Latest