The Student Room Group

Is the injection good if your doing a summer in Ibiza?

Next year me and 5 friends are doing a summer in Ibiza (May-October) and im debating having the injection to stop my periods whilst out there but it will run out whilst I’m there ? So am I best having the injection or the implant ?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, the injection won't last the entire time you are away. It might also not stop your periods - it might actually make you have them more frequently. If you want control over your periods, the combined pill is the best (if you are able to take it).
Legit thought, you were trying to roid up for gains in the gym lmao. 😂 😂 😂 To look good on the beach, this is shocking. 😅🤣🤣
Original post by black tea
Yes, the injection won't last the entire time you are away. It might also not stop your periods - it might actually make you have them more frequently. If you want control over your periods, the combined pill is the best (if you are able to take it).

What about the implant ? Would that completely stop them?
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Legit thought, you were trying to roid up for gains in the gym lmao. 😂 😂 😂 To look good on the beach, this is shocking. 😅🤣🤣

Looool I wish 🤣🤣🤣
Original post by champagnemami1
What about the implant ? Would that completely stop them?

Again, not necessarily. A lot of people get irregular bleeding with the implant and other progesterone-only methods of contraception, though it does make periods lighter and stops them for some people. You won't know how your body will react until you get it, and even if does stop periods for you eventually, you are likely to get chaotic bleeding for the first 3-6 months.
There's no guarantee your period will stop. I would advise you start the injection a few months prior to see it indeed stops YOUR periods.

A better alternative would be going on the pill and running them back to back so you don't have a period.

I don't advise the implant as I believe many people have irregular bleeding for a few months (many have an everyday period for 3 or so months as I did).

Go to a sexual health clinic, they will give you really good advice. Go in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
There's no guarantee your period will stop. I would advise you start the injection a few months prior to see it indeed stops YOUR periods.

A better alternative would be going on the pill and running them back to back so you don't have a period.

I don't advise the implant as I believe many people have irregular bleeding for a few months (many have an everyday period for 3 or so months as I did).

Go to a sexual health clinic, they will give you really good advice. Go in advance.

Sensible suggestion as May is five months away.
Original post by barnetlad
Sensible suggestion as May is five months away.

The injection will still not last through her entire trip. No idea how easy it would be to get another one in Ibiza.
Original post by black tea
The injection will still not last through her entire trip. No idea how easy it would be to get another one in Ibiza.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking , not sure I’d be able to find a trustworthy place to get one out there. Think I’m going to go to my gp and discuss some options.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah that’s what I was thinking , not sure I’d be able to find a trustworthy place to get one out there. Think I’m going to go to my gp and discuss some options.

Sounds like a good idea :smile:
On a personal note, I'm not
sure that I would want to play around with nature for so long.
Is it really that bad having a period once a month? Just asking the question, before my head is bitten off.
Original post by Karisa96
On a personal note, I'm not
sure that I would want to play around with nature for so long.
Is it really that bad having a period once a month? Just asking the question, before my head is bitten off.

Yeah but when your in Ibiza wearing swim suits etc everyday do u really wanna be on ur period ?
Original post by xavier.jugrues90
yes if you're gonna eat a load of these and have them in u:

Ok wth is that
I personally don't think it's worth it either. Just wear super absorbent tampons and some sort of cover up if you're that self conscious. It's only 4/5 days...not a big deal.
Original post by ChaosOfTrouble
I personally don't think it's worth it either. Just wear super absorbent tampons and some sort of cover up if you're that self conscious. It's only 4/5 days...not a big deal.

I’m going to Ibiza for 4/5 months not days lol
Original post by Anonymous
I’m going to Ibiza for 4/5 months not days lol

I know, I meant a period is only 4/5 days. Maybe less depending on you personally. It just feels like an unnecessary hassle to take on, especially when there's no guarantee and it may cause side effects.
Original post by ChaosOfTrouble
I know, I meant a period is only 4/5 days. Maybe less depending on you personally. It just feels like an unnecessary hassle to take on, especially when there's no guarantee and it may cause side effects.

The thing is I’m quite heavy and the pains I get is absolutely awful to the point where I can be bed bound for a few days so I don’t want this to happen whilst I’m there
No contraceptive is guaranteed to stop your periods altogether. You will likely get some light bleeding for at least the first year if you get the implant or the injection. Due to your heavy periods and pain, it would actually be a good idea to discuss contraceptive with the GP as it should lighten the period and can considerably reduce pain when you have one. If you are thinking about the holiday whilst having contraception I would suggest the implant as you can forget about it whilst it’s in for at least a couple of years. The injection has to be every 12/13 weeks for it to be effective and only nurses can administer the injection (I’ve asked if I can do it myself). Otherwise you could try the continuous pill, but again this may not stop your periods and you will have to remember to take it at the same time each day. You would also have to get a large prescription off your doctor to cover you for the holiday (and then not lose them). Just when you make the decision decide what’s right for you and not what’s easiest for the holiday. You need to be happy with the contraceptive that will change how your body works, and be prepared to deal with any side effects of starting contraceptive treatment.
In regards to heavy periods in general, especially if they are quite painful, speak to your doctor about tranexemic acid. It's to reduce bloodloss and will make your periods much lighter and less painful. Mine were so painful and I would throw up for 36 hours, and not be able to keep water or anything else down during this time. My friends thought I was exaggerating until they witnessed it happen. Tranexemic acid has meant that my period is literally nothing. Not sure if you could take it with the pill though

Quick Reply

Latest