How do can people withdraw money from your bank account?! Watch

tokyorose888
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Okay, correct me if im wrong but what info do people need to allow them to withdraw money from your bank account? As far as i know, you can only use your pin number. My mum's telling me not to input account details on the internet because people can steal your money, but its not like im gonna put my pin number though.

please clear this up for me...im sooo stupid lol
Faint_x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you dont need a pin for evyerthing like shopping online you only need your card details. and for internet banking you dont need a pin to log in.
GeorgEGNT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They can do it if they have your card details (Card number, issue date, security number etc . . .) I dont think they can use your actual account details (account number/ sort code) to withdraw money though. You never need your PIN online so NEVER give it out online.
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
ok....so they need the card number, issue date and securtiy number to take it out......
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never respond to an email that says it is from your bank asking you to confirm details. Banks never do that. You can add additional security online like maestro securecode, however only RBS, NatWest and HSBC seem to use this.
Here is the link(Moderators feel free to remove the link if you think it is inappropriate).

http://www.maestrocard.com/uk/security/securecode.html
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
(Original post by natweststaffmember)
Never respond to an email that says it is from your bank asking you to confirm details. Banks never do that. You can add additional security online like maestro securecode, however only RBS, NatWest and HSBC seem to use this.
Here is the link(Moderators feel free to remove the link if you think it is inappropriate).

http://www.maestrocard.com/uk/security/securecode.html
are you really a natwest staff member because if you are... ive just applied for a natwest adapt account and i opted for "dont use one stop student account" (meaning i dont want it changed to student account automatically) What will happen when my adapt card expires? will i still be able to use it? what happens to the money in my account?

and they ask for identification verification, does it have to have my date of birth and stuff? because it says that you can send your payslip, but my payslip hasnt got my DOB on it.

thnx
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the account should revert to a current plus(I am a member of staff). If you google the username, you will see I normally hang out on bank charges reclaims site
When you apply they will try and electronically verify your identity otherwise they will send the application form out to you and it will state what ID is required.
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
the account should revert to a current plus(I am a member of staff). If you google the username, you will see I normally hang out on bank charges reclaims site
When you apply they will try and electronically verify your identity otherwise they will send the application form out to you and it will state what ID is required.
ok thnx

im just a bit worried about sending original documents. When it says original letter from.....does it have to be addressed to me only? ( because most of the stuff are handled by my parents)
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a lot of ID checks especially where you are 18 or under can be done via birth certificate and utility bill in a parents name providing the surname is the same. Hope it helps
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
a lot of ID checks especially where you are 18 or under can be done via birth certificate and utility bill in a parents name providing the surname is the same. Hope it helps
thnx for the replies!
biffyclyro27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Faint_x)
you dont need a pin for evyerthing like shopping online you only need your card details. and for internet banking you dont need a pin to log in.
I need an internet banking number, a 5 digit pin number and a safe word. It's even more secure than withdrawing money from a cash point.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (324)
77.7%
No (93)
22.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise