Why didn't Europe come to the aid of Austria in 1938?

Watch
EtonWorldDoppler
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
History books note that, in 1938, Nazi troops strolled into Austria and absorbed it into the Third Reich.

Why didn't Europe come to Austria's aid like nations did the following year for Poland on our timeline?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EtonWorldDoppler)
History books note that, in 1938, Nazi troops strolled into Austria and absorbed it into the Third Reich.

Why didn't Europe come to Austria's aid like nations did the following year for Poland on our timeline?
Is this your homework?
Have you read anything about the Anschluss?
They were welcomed by the majority, they just walked in and there was little opposition but large groups enthusiastically welcomed them. What were other countries meant to do? Declare war?

There would be those who will argue we didint come to Polands aid at all.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EtonWorldDoppler)

many welcomed the ideas of a nation of a united German people, and despite opposition/referendum, they were largely welcomed, and hardly seen as starting a war over

Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought Austria was allied with Germany (the Anschluss)?
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
many welcomed the ideas of a nation of a united German people, and despite opposition/referendum, they were largely welcomed, and hardly seen as starting a war over

I stand corrected by myself, they was a "vote", with 99.73% in favour, Nazi votes are not reknown for being accurate, but fair to say the majority wanted a form of a Greater Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_A...uss_referendum)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
13.04%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
63.48%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.17%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (10)
8.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed