The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not a problem at all :p:
River85
Do you? As a student at Durham no one told me. :wink:

They don't ask for eight A*s at GCSE, where did you hear that? I don't mean to come off as arrogant and I don't mean to offend but this is something that's been dominating my day.

Don't spread myths. You may have heard it from a "reliable source" and taken it as being true but it's not. They ask for a "high number of A*s including an A* in history). This may be five, seven....It's certainly no set number (I'd imagine it would vary by year) and I'd be suprised if it was as high as eight.

No, I know they don't ask for a specific number, and I never said they did. However, our school's admissions advisor told my friend not to bother applying as last year/this year no-one got in with less than 8 A*s. He's not one for spreading fear into people (he told me the 8 A* rumour about the LSE Economics wasn't really true) so either he's been misinformed by tutors or it is really true about the competition Durham history. Seems mad, I know. :confused:

What were these unis? I bet they were still fairly solid and competitive unis. Even so, even more mediocore unis would still need a very good personal statement. If the PS was a little mediocore it's not really strange or she was rejected.

To be honest, I am not sure, I just remember that she got into only got into Exeter and had something like 6 A*s and 6 As at GCSE and decent predicted grades at A-Level (although this is from vague memory). Besides, don't you think such a reliance upon the personal statement tells us that universities are finding it hard to distinguish between applicants? Therefore telling us competition for History is fairly high? (I'm not trying to say it's anything like Law, medicine or economics, just substancial)
Reply 82
Ashes_to_Ashes
No, I know they don't ask for a specific number, and I never said they did.

No, you didn't. But it was suggested by this: -

Ashes_to_Ashes

For Durham you need at least 8 A*s at GCSE.

You aren't an admissions tutor and therefore can't say about many A*s you need.

Ashes_to_Ashes
However, our school's admissions advisor told my friend not to bother applying as last year/this year no-one got in with less than 8 A*s. He's not one for spreading fear into people (he told me the 8 A* rumour about the LSE Economics wasn't really true) so either he's been misinformed by tutors or it is really true about the competition Durham history. Seems mad, I know.

I'm not denying that competition is intense in many of Durham's courses, especially english and history.

Some advice though, ignore what schools say about university admissions they generally don't have a clue. It may, or may not, have been true that no student got into history at Durham with fewer than 8 A*s (I think that's crap, myself. Maybe 6). But it's ludicrous to think that a university (certainly, in this case, Durham) expects a set number of A*s. It will vary according to the standard of each year.

It's also very irresponsible of any education professional to put a student off applying to a competitive university. There's nothing wrong with it and they may well get in. So long as there are more "realistic" unis in the application also.

Ashes_to_Ashes
Besides, don't you think such a reliance upon the personal statement tells us that universities are finding it hard to distinguish between applicants? Therefore telling us competition for History is fairly high? (I'm not trying to say it's anything like Law, medicine or economics, just substancial)

No, not really. The personal statement has always been exceptionally important (in all courses). In courses that don't interview it's the applicant's only opportunity to communicate directly to the admissions tutor and convey their passion and, possibly, ability. The reliance on GCSEs/LNAT/UKAT/STEP and university specific admissions tests are more of an indication that universities are finding it difficult to differentiate between applicants by grades and PS alone.
River85
No, you didn't. But it was suggested by this: -

You aren't an admissions tutor and therefore can't say about many A*s you need.

I'm not denying that competition is intense in many of Durham's courses, especially english and history.

Some advice though, ignore what schools say about university admissions they generally don't have a clue. It may, or may not, have been true that no student got into history at Durham with fewer than 8 A*s (I think that's crap, myself. Maybe 6). But it's ludicrous to think that a university (certainly, in this case, Durham) expects a set number of A*s. It will vary according to the standard of each year.

It's also very irresponsible of any education professional to put a student off applying to a competitive university. There's nothing wrong with it and they may well get in. So long as there are more "realistic" unis in the application also.

No, not really. The personal statement has always been exceptionally important (in all courses). In courses that don't interview it's the applicant's only opportunity to communicate directly to the admissions tutor and convey their passion and, possibly, ability. The reliance on GCSEs/LNAT/UKAT/STEP and university specific admissions tests are more of an indication that universities are finding it difficult to differentiate between applicants by grades and PS alone.

FFS why don't you just give it a rest for once and get off people's backs! Everyone is entitled to say what they believe without you coming in and completely criticising us and making yourself seem superior. Oh and you aren't an admissions tutor either so you can't say either so back off!!!
Reply 84
Sam Rawlings
FFS why don't you just give it a rest for once and get off people's backs! Everyone is entitled to say what they believe without you coming in and completely criticising us and making yourself seem superior. Oh and you aren't an admissions tutor either so you can't say either so back off!!!

People are entitled to say what they like, yes. I wasn't criticising the poster in question, just making sure that they are a lot more careful with what they say about GCSE requirements at certain unis. Durham don't ask for a set number A*s GCSEs therefore people should not say (or suggest) that they do.

I'm not an admissions tutor, no (although even someone who isn't an admissions tutor can still read entrace requirements). However, I am a student at the university, I know the department well enough and, in my three/four years studying at the university I've got to know the academic background of the students (including their GCSE results).

I will also reiterate what I said yesterday. I don't think I'm better than anyone at all. You've no right to make this judgement (as you don't know me). I may come across that way but that's the limitations of an Internet forum, isn't it. I can assure you that, if you knew me in real life, you'd know I hold no pretensions

Incidentally, where did you hear about Kings being the sixth most competitive/most difficult university (to get into) from? I'm not picking, just curious.

I'm going back to watch Durham being slaughtered on University Challenge :p:
River85
People are entitled to say what they like, yes. I wasn't criticising the poster in question, just making sure that they are a lot more careful with what they say about GCSE requirements at certain unis. Durham don't ask for a set number A*s GCSEs therefore people should not say (or suggest) that they do.

I'm not an admissions tutor, no (although even someone who isn't an admissions tutor can still read entrace requirements). However, I am a student at the university, I know the department well enough and, in my three/four years studying at the university I've got to know the academic background of the students (including their GCSE results).

I will also reiterate what I said yesterday. I don't think I'm better than anyone at all. You've no right to make this judgement (as you don't know me). I may come across that way but that's the limitations of an Internet forum, isn't it. I can assure you that, if you knew me in real life, you'd know I hold no pretensions

Incidentally, where did you hear about Kings being the sixth most competitive/most difficult university (to get into) from? I'm not picking, just curious.

I'm going back to watch Durham being slaughtered on University Challenge :p:

Ok sorry if i get angry it just comes across like that (mind you, it's easy to get the wrong end of stick when reading msgs on forums now isn't it rather than hearing it from a person in an actual conversation :smile:) the Sunday Times rates it as the 6th most difficult UK university to get into. Go on the website just to clarify it so you know i'm not making it up.
Dentistry, Vet Science, Economics, English, History, psychology
Reply 87
I took a quick glance at the Academic Statistic at Warwick, so take this mental arithmetic with a grain of salt. In terms of places to vacancy ratios it is English, then Economics, and then Law (About 15-20 to one ratio). Then History. Then Engineering.

Sociology, Politics, and Computer Science are much less competitive. In fact, there has been a dramatic universal drop in Computer Science applicants.
Kater Murr
English is pretty difficult, yeah.

I know people at my uni who do English even without having GCSE English. :biggrin:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I know people at my uni who do English even without having GCSE English. :biggrin:

:wink:

Ahh, I know someone with an offer from Hull to study English after getting UUUU at AS level.
Kater Murr
:wink:

Ahh, I know someone with an offer from Hull to study English after getting UUUU at AS level.

Really? That's err...surprising.
Vet medicine or dentistry deffo.

I thought vet sci was like biomed sci? (i.e. fairly easy to get into)
Lol it can be so easily determined here, any course that's over 500 points IS over 500 points because of competition for places. So yeah apart from Law and Medicine, Pharmacy, Veterinary, Psychology, Psychology+other subject, English+History, English_other subject, History+ other subject, Theoretical physics, Drama+other subject, European Studies, Physiotherapy, History and political science, Dentistry, Occupational Theraphy and Radiation Therapy. Those are the ones in my uni but others would be the same-ish, but less competitive.
Economics is not competitive at your university stars? That is surprising.
For my course there were 750 applicants and only 35 places.
prospectivEEconomist
Economics is not competitive at your university stars? That is surprising.

Depends. You can do Economics with another subject, if you picked Psychology..very competitive, if you picked ancient history and archaology..not competitive. Economics is mainly with BESS, Business Economics and Social Studies, points are about 470. So it's competitve enough but there's a lot of places available, but it doesn't rank with the top 'over 500' courses, just because of the places.
Id say graphics is quite competitive. About 1000 people applied when i did and only 130 got in.
Reply 97
*gulp*

Lots of people are saying English and History as the most difficult! Those are the two I'm thinking about applying for!

Latest

Trending

Trending