Turn on thread page Beta

has anyone bought car from ebay? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im very tempted to buy one as my first car, preferbly a punto or corsa. im only lookin at the ones local so i cam go view them with my dad but i just wanted to see what other people experiences were and if anyones had problems.

ReputationRep:
    for something like that I wouldn't trust ebay

I'd be much more inclined to go to a used car place and buy one from them. It may be a little more expensive but because it's such an important investment I'd want somewhere to go to if my car breaks!

ReputationRep:
    My dad bought his present car on eBay, and there weren't any problems at all. He went on the train to wherever it was (it was a couple of years ago now, I don't remember) and drove it back. However, I think the guy he bought it from sells a lot of cars on eBay so he had a good reputation. I don't know much about what happened with it, but I think it all went smoothly. Don't worry about it .

ReputationRep:
    James May has :p:

ReputationRep:
    I nearly did, I would only bid on it after ive thourally checked it over, met the owner and done all the usual stuff, then I'll size up whether its worth it and how much I'm willing to pay.
    In the end I saw exactally the same model for a touch cheaper, 3 yrs newer and confirmed motorway fleet car so went for that one!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who paid £6,000 for one and was completley ripped off... ended up having to replace it after a year or so.. I'd be very weary.. but if its a local seller and you can see/test drive the car, then I guess its like newspaper ads and more traditional ways..

ReputationRep:
    Its just a normal advertisement, dont bid until you have seen the car obviously, unless its classified.

My dad bought is lotus from ebay once, that went smoothly, and it was a auction too

ReputationRep:
    im lookin at cars that are 2000,2001 and 2002 years old , averaging around £1200. is that good?

and the milage,MOT and TAX is all good too

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who bought one off ebay for £50 and it actually worked. It was impressive.

ReputationRep:
    I bought my present (soon to be ex-) car from ebay, someone who was local.

I'd be extremely wary of using ebay for a car again.

The guy we bought from never sent the reg document off and we had no end of problems trying to prove who's car it was because the dvla didn't understand what was going on and neither we nor they could get hold of the guy who sold it us.

He only gave us one key for it and like I've already said we couldn't get hold of him to ask about the other one - we were convinced he'd come back and steal the car, but so far hasn't!

Also, and it might just be bad luck, but we had a number of problems/ breakdowns in the first few weeks of owning it.......... never again!

I'm sure this is very rare though but please be careful who you buy from if you do decide to use ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpanther_414)
    im very tempted to buy one as my first car, preferbly a punto or corsa. im only lookin at the ones local so i cam go view them with my dad but i just wanted to see what other people experiences were and if anyones had problems.
    No, but I wouldn't be tempted to use ebay for this kind of thing

ReputationRep:
    I read on the metro that a women sold her husbands lotus for 50p because he'd cheated on her lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpanther_414)
    im lookin at cars that are 2000,2001 and 2002 years old
    Car's weren't around 2000 years ago :p:

If they were, Jesus would have been rollin'

ReputationRep:
    my dad got me a renault clio from ebay! right little bargain it was too id go for it! if you have any doubts make sure you check the sellers feedback before bidding/buying!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    buy it from autotrader.co.uk, dont trust ebay, especially for sumthin as big as a car

ReputationRep:
    It's just the same as buying from anywhere else - I have bought great cars from ebay and been ripped off at a garage and know people who have had vice versa. Just set yourself a limit and stick to it, it can be tempting to just pay another £50 but it can quickly escalate! Make sure you go check it out before buying, very sensible to stick to sales near you so you can check them out.

If you've got a mechanically minded friend or relative take them along, if not at the very least find out the common faults of any car you are interested - for example Puntos are prone to rusting sump pans so you'd want to check that out. You can find a list online easily enough. Also check how much it would cost to put things right - some problems are cheap and easy to rectify but you could negotiate a lower price because of them, some problems are very expensive to rectify!

Check how much tax it's got left and how long until the MOT is due - it can cost quite a lot to get an older car through and you dont want to think you've got a bargain only to have to spend several hundred pounds more in a month on an MOT.

And finally, don't be pressured into anything - the worst car I have ever bought was my first because I was new and went alone to the garage and let myself be pressured into taking it even though I wasn't sure. There are thousands of Puntos and Corsas out there so if you aren't convinced walk away and get another one - cars can easily be a very expensive mistake!

Hope that helps a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushhour72)
    buy it from autotrader.co.uk, dont trust ebay, especially for sumthin as big as a car
    autotrader and ebay just put you in touch with a private seller, nothign more or nothign less
    the only differene with ebay is that you can buy the car withotu viewing it in person - and onyl a complete fool woudl do that

i have bought and sold cars on ebay - the last one i did was sold to a guy who didnt coem to look.

ReputationRep:
    Lol all these "dont trust ebay" people remind me of those elderly folks who wont go online full stop for fear of having all their details stolen by some russian hacker! Use your instincts..if a car is much cheaper than a local garage, invest in having a professional inspection done by the RAC for about £250 and buy a DECENT third party warranty!

Personally, one day after school I flew up to Scotland and I bought a high (ish) mileage BMW 530d from a Polish Man in Scotland (I live on the south coast!) via ebay...paying the majority of the funds in cash in a petrol station outside glasgow airport.....saved at least £2k on the local garage price.... Not as stupid as one would think as I did a full history check on the vehicle and paid for the RAC inspection to give it the once over before I flew up. If you use your head, ebay can be a great place to save some serious money on a used car...besides even buying at a local garage, do you really think they will help you out if your clutch goes after 2 months?

Pretty much all independent garage use third party warranty companies and almost all of these deny the majority of claims based upon the "wear and tear" clause in the small print!....then you just end up with an expensive bad un....which was bought at auction and flipped for profit in the first place!

Just my two cents x

ReputationRep:
    I bought my second car off ebay. I saw it advertised, went to view it, had a test drive, then went home and won the auction. I payed eactly £1000 less than the HPI check valued it as and it is in better condition than average. My advice is to definitely view the car before bidding to avoid being disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    buying a car from ebay is no more dangerous than buying a car anywhere else if you go about it properly. Do your homework on the care you're looking at and make sure you visit the car before you buy. people only tend to have problems with it are ones who don't do this and pick up a 'bargain' at the other end of the country that people dont bid on due to it not being worth the distance.

I bought my first car from ebay for a bargain price, and thinking back, I had it whilst I learnt and when I passed, so say for a year and a bit. That's the longest I've had a car, yet it gave me the least problems out of any I've owned so far, which is quite a few! (in fact, no problems whatsoever with that car, and it had 30k on the clock for £700 because it finished at an awkward time and was in the middle of nowhere, but owned by a policeman)

bid during the daytime and you'll save even more cash I've found. I've sold 3 cars on ebay now, all for good prices for the other party, and all bought without buyers seeing them first, purely because of the prices. sometimes it can be worth a gamble to bid and see for a last minute bargain, but if you go about it as any other car purchase, you shouldnt have any issues really.. not to mention, if worse comes to worse and you visit a shed, what's to mean you're doomed and have to pay afterall...

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.