The Student Room Group

fefssdf's road to (Hopefully) a Graduate Job....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Update as of January 10th
Hi guys,

So today has reminded me once again that rejection is part of the process of getting yourself a new role, whether it be a grad position or something more entry level.

I had an interview this morning for a temp admin/ events organiser job at my old uni. Sadly I received feedback shortly afterwards that I was unsuccessful and that the role has been given to another candidate instead who had slightly more experience.

I’m feeling a bit deflated as a result of this, but I have another chance next week when I have another interview for a different admin job, which actually offers higher pay too which is always a nice bonus!

I contacted the recruitment company I have been having discussions with since I submitted my video interview but I still haven’t received any information back regarding an interview. I’ve been asked when I’m available ect and was told yesterday I’d be contacted ASAP but I still haven’t heard anything :/

Just feels like I’m being messed around since it sounded like they wanted to interview me but maybe that isn’t the case :/

If anyone has any grad schemes which specifically want stem grads other than the likes of Deloitte ect which I’ve already been rejected from then please let me know :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Update as of January 10th
Hi guys,

So today has reminded me once again that rejection is part of the process of getting yourself a new role, whether it be a grad position or something more entry level.

I had an interview this morning for a temp admin/ events organiser job at my old uni. Sadly I received feedback shortly afterwards that I was unsuccessful and that the role has been given to another candidate instead who had slightly more experience.

I’m feeling a bit deflated as a result of this, but I have another chance next week when I have another interview for a different admin job, which actually offers higher pay too which is always a nice bonus!

I contacted the recruitment company I have been having discussions with since I submitted my video interview but I still haven’t received any information back regarding an interview. I’ve been asked when I’m available ect and was told yesterday I’d be contacted ASAP but I still haven’t heard anything :/

Just feels like I’m being messed around since it sounded like they wanted to interview me but maybe that isn’t the case :/

If anyone has any grad schemes which specifically want stem grads other than the likes of Deloitte ect which I’ve already been rejected from then please let me know :smile:

That's unfortunate but keep going :smile:

Is the other admin job at your uni? In all honesty I think if you're committed enough then you'll probably get one there in the end. It's very much in the university's interest to get their graduates employed. I myself temped at one and found it a good stepping stone into another position.

Recruiters will mess you about massively. Keep pestering them but bear in mind that they actually completely and utterly suck for the most part.
Reply 42
Original post by DuckDodgers
That's unfortunate but keep going :smile:

Is the other admin job at your uni? In all honesty I think if you're committed enough then you'll probably get one there in the end. It's very much in the university's interest to get their graduates employed. I myself temped at one and found it a good stepping stone into another position.

Recruiters will mess you about massively. Keep pestering them but bear in mind that they actually completely and utterly suck for the most part.

Hey, and yeh it is unfortunate but I’m now looking ahead to other opportunities.

Yes, the other admin job I have the interview for next week is also at my old uni. It seems like a more senior position so I think the interview may be a bit more in depth but I guess I won’t know for sure till I’ve been!
And yeh that’s true I mean I’ve already done quite a few different roles at my uni and my aim now is to get this admin job since the pay would be the highest I’ve been paid for a job so it would feel like I’m somewhat moving up the ladder so to speak, and would help me to pay off my overdraft too!!

And yeh I really don’t know what is happening with that recruiter tbh. Heard from them on Tuesday regarding my video interview and then was told yesterday I’d be contacted ASAP but I heard nothing today so it seems like it’s either been forgotten about or I’m no longer in the running and so that’s why I haven’t heard anything :/ either way it’s frustrating as this seemed like a pretty good opportunity
Reply 43
Hey guys so here is an update as of January 11th.

So today I headed to my uni library to do some job applications. I prefer working in this space instead of at home as I feel more motivated and there’s fewer distractions. In the end I struggled to find suitable positions for analyst type roles but stumbled upon an associate consultant role which would involve a lot of data analysis and project work. They specifically wanted stem grads so hopefully that means it won’t be super super competitive but it’s always hard to judge with these things! I spent quite a while editing my cv too and moved my education to the top as I realise with grad roles that ask for a specific degree it’s probably best to highlight that at the top of the cv so you have more of a chance of being noticed by the hiring manager. I then added some achievements under the degree which went beyond my course as I felt like that may help employers see that I achieved more than just a 2:1 and did things on the side.

I then drafted a cover letter which took me quite a while but I am pleased with what I came up with in the end.

So overall in terms of researching and then applying for the role I think I spent about 2 hours but I feel like it was a good use of my time and hopefully I’ll hear back from the company soon :smile:

Still got a video interview to complete for the ambitious futures scheme I applied for, so I’ll get that done with the next few days.

Got some more catering shifts at my old uni too which will help with the cash flow and it’s good to have something else to focus your mind on as the whole grad job search can feel like it’s taking over your entire day at times!
Reply 44
Hey guys,

Here is an update as of January 15th.

I got rejected from the admin job I had an interview for at the beginning of the week. I didn’t think I had much chance of getting it as it seemed to be quite a senior admin position so i wasn’t too surprised when I got told the role had been given to someone with more senior admin experience, but there was a positive since I was told that my past experience was valuable so I guess that’s something I can take from that interview process that my cv is in good shape.

On a more positive note, I had an interview yesterday for a recruitment role up in London. Interestingly this role doesn’t actually require any cold calls as it would just be focusing on the candidate side of things which is a lot more promising as that was one aspect of recruitment that didn’t seem that great.

It was a two stage interview and after I’d completed the first part which involved answering a lot of competency questions the two interviewers went to go and have a chat and when they gave back they said that they have a lot of positives’ and things are looking good so that was really promising. The next part of the interview then involved me going through some cvs and picking out 4 out of 15 which were suitable for a client brief that was read out to me. I did well on this in finding the 3/4 correct cv’s with the remaining one being put in a maybe pile as I wasn’t too sure, so I received good feedback on that task.

After that I was then told that again things were looking positive and that there is another stage in the process which would be another face-face interview. They said they wouldn’t be making any promises but that I would basically hear back within a few days so that’s a good sign. I left the interview feeling really positive as if I actually wanted the job which I guess is a good sign as often i have left interviews feeling a bit confused as to what I thought in terms of like if the company culture is right for me ect but I just got pretty good vibes all round which was nice :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Hey guys,

Here is an update as of January 15th.

I got rejected from the admin job I had an interview for at the beginning of the week. I didn’t think I had much chance of getting it as it seemed to be quite a senior admin position so i wasn’t too surprised when I got told the role had been given to someone with more senior admin experience, but there was a positive since I was told that my past experience was valuable so I guess that’s something I can take from that interview process that my cv is in good shape.

On a more positive note, I had an interview yesterday for a recruitment role up in London. Interestingly this role doesn’t actually require any cold calls as it would just be focusing on the candidate side of things which is a lot more promising as that was one aspect of recruitment that didn’t seem that great.

It was a two stage interview and after I’d completed the first part which involved answering a lot of competency questions the two interviewers went to go and have a chat and when they gave back they said that they have a lot of positives’ and things are looking good so that was really promising. The next part of the interview then involved me going through some cvs and picking out 4 out of 15 which were suitable for a client brief that was read out to me. I did well on this in finding the 3/4 correct cv’s with the remaining one being put in a maybe pile as I wasn’t too sure, so I received good feedback on that task.

After that I was then told that again things were looking positive and that there is another stage in the process which would be another face-face interview. They said they wouldn’t be making any promises but that I would basically hear back within a few days so that’s a good sign. I left the interview feeling really positive as if I actually wanted the job which I guess is a good sign as often i have left interviews feeling a bit confused as to what I thought in terms of like if the company culture is right for me ect but I just got pretty good vibes all round which was nice :smile:

I'm really trying to be nice about this but think long and hard before taking a recruitment job in London of all places. I worked in the IT department of a recruitment firm back when I graduated (2012) and it was hands down the worst environment I've ever worked in. Many people left after a month. I personally left after three.

These places can be killer environments. HR has a knack for making everything sound rosy and great whereas in reality it can be teaming with sharks. I've seen this from the inside and also from dealing with them on the other side of the fence too.

So yeah, have a think. Look on their Glassdoor. If there's lots of good reviews but smells like HR wrote the review then do be very cautious.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 46
I'm really trying to be nice about this but think long and hard before taking a recruitment job in London of all places. I worked in the IT department of a recruitment firm back when I graduated (2012) and it was hands down the worst environment I've ever worked in. Many people left after a month. I personally left after three.

These places can be killer environments. HR has a knack for making everything sound rosy and great whereas in reality it can be teaming with sharks. I've seen this from the inside and also from dealing with them on the other side of the fence too.

So yeah, have a think. Look on their Glassdoor. If there's lots of good reviews but smells like HR wrote the review then do be very cautious.

Hey I’ve had a look on glassdoor and the rating is 4.8 and there are 99 reviews in total. I’ve gotta say having read them it doesn’t sound like they’ve all been written by HR.

This company in particular is also in the times top 40 best companies to work for so they must be doing something right I’d like to think ?

The company has also won a lot of different awards highlighting their culture ect so idk I’ve gotta say it doesn’t sound like it would be like the typical cut-throat type environment a lot of other recruitment places are like.

I’ve had interviews with a lot of recruitment agencies - around 15 in total and I’ve gotta say having spoken with the staff it does seem like this place are pretty big on actually being ethical in their work.

Which company did you work for out of interest?
What Ocado graduate scheme did you apply for and have you not heard back from your video interview yet?

This would be true if it was regular recruitment.. if OP has an interview with an executive search firm (i.e. a headhunter) none of what you wrote would be accurate. Exec search firms have much more of a consulting vibe than an "eat what you kill" sales culture.
After working so hard to get such a good degree why waste it and go into recruitment? Pretty much selling your soul a bit tbh
Original post by fefssdf
Hey I’ve had a look on glassdoor and the rating is 4.8 and there are 99 reviews in total. I’ve gotta say having read them it doesn’t sound like they’ve all been written by HR.

This company in particular is also in the times top 40 best companies to work for so they must be doing something right I’d like to think ?

The company has also won a lot of different awards highlighting their culture ect so idk I’ve gotta say it doesn’t sound like it would be like the typical cut-throat type environment a lot of other recruitment places are like.

I’ve had interviews with a lot of recruitment agencies - around 15 in total and I’ve gotta say having spoken with the staff it does seem like this place are pretty big on actually being ethical in their work.

Which company did you work for out of interest?

Yeah that's fine then. If they're being regarded for their work culture than that's absolutely a good thing.

I won't name the company I worked for but they were in the energy sector. They were the type who laid out the big one for everybody, swanky offices and all that. We had a power hour at where everybody had to stand up and work from 10-11am. If people didn't hit targets they were given a doughnut each month in front of everyone - the hole signifying zero targets or something...

Looking back it's kinda funny but I am so, so, so happy I left that place. As is everybody else I assume :biggrin:

EDIT: Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
This would be true if it was regular recruitment.. if OP has an interview with an executive search firm (i.e. a headhunter) none of what you wrote would be accurate. Exec search firms have much more of a consulting vibe than an "eat what you kill" sales culture.

Of course. Exec search firms are actual companies.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Princepieman

Yeh basically the recruitment position I would be doing would be a 180 role, in that I would only be responsible for sourcing candidates e.g headhunting as opposed to doing the cold call sales type of thing where I’d be trying to get new clients. It would be a case of I would be passed over the client from another member of the team along with the job brief and then I’d be the one going and finding suitable candidates, meeting them, reviewing cv’s and shortlisting ect. I specifically made a point about the fact I don’t want to do the whole cold calling business development side of things so I’ve been interviewed by a team at the firm who are just looking for someone to do the candidate side of things. It would been much be taking on a consultant style role as opposed to really heavy selling.
Reply 53
Original post by trapking
After working so hard to get such a good degree why waste it and go into recruitment? Pretty much selling your soul a bit tbh

I’ve gotta be honest and say that I’ve really struggled to get any other job which would actually make use of my degree. I’ve applied to lots of technical type roles but I always struggle with the online tests ect. Plus, I also much prefer making use of my communication skills as opposed to working on problems.
Reply 54
Yeah that's fine then. If they're being regarded for their work culture than that's absolutely a good thing.

I won't name the company I worked for but they were in the energy sector. They were the type who laid out the big one for everybody, swanky offices and all that. We had a power hour at where everybody had to stand up and work from 10-11am. If people didn't hit targets they were given a doughnut each month in front of everyone - the hole signifying zero targets or something...

Looking back it's kinda funny but I am so, so, so happy I left that place. As is everybody else I assume :biggrin:

EDIT: Good luck!

Wow that doesn’t sound like a positive working environment whatsoever. Well done for leaving that role as it doesn’t sound like it was doing you any favours for your career prospects or mental wellbeing.

And yeh, this company in particular has been awarded a very high number of awards and considering I told them that I do not want to do the whole cold calling thing and just want to focus on the candidate side of recruitment they went ahead and listened to my requirements and then set me up with an interview with a team who are looking for someone to just effectively headhunt candidates, review cv’s, arrange meetings and manage the process with no time being dedicated to the business development side which is the typical kind of cut throat selling environment which I wouldn’t want to be apart of.
Reply 55
Original post by FrostyFrosties
What Ocado graduate scheme did you apply for and have you not heard back from your video interview yet?

Hey it was the operations scheme, and I received an email a few weeks back saying that I had been rejected for the role I applied for.
Reply 56

You could say the same with other entry level roles from other industry, where you'll generally be working long hours, with low pay (compared to industry average) and with very little progression within the firm (as well as lack of training and no incentives to do industry recognised qualification). Audit at certain companies (e.g. BBC) is a good example. At least with recruitment you can earn commission and develop some solid desirable skills (e.g. communication, people management).
Reply 57
Original post by kkboyk
You could say the same with other entry level roles from other industry, where you'll generally be working long hours, with low pay (compared to industry average) and with very little progression within the firm (as well as lack of training and no incentives to do industry recognised qualification). Audit at certain companies (e.g. BBC) is a good example. At least with recruitment you can earn commission and develop some solid desirable skills (e.g. communication, people management).

Thanks for offering some context. I think the reason people think that someone like myself with a strong academic background shouldn’t go into something like recruitment is cause a lot of people in the industry don’t have such strong academic backgrounds and rather have got by on their people skills ‘. I have found however that going through the process of applying for recruitment jobs is actually quite difficult and competition is pretty high. You’d be surprised at just how many interviews I’ve had which have resulted in rejections. You really need to be at the top of your game in terms of having the strong communication skills ect and talking to people is something I really love to do so honestly I feel like this is the right sort of environment for me. In terms of career progression too, opportunities are actually quite high as there are so many companies you could easily move about to find a better deal or simply make more commission and then be promoted internally as a result. Having known someone who went into recruitment after doing a stem degree I can see that actually they’ve done very well for themselves financially and do genuinely enjoy their job.
Original post by fefssdf
I’ve gotta be honest and say that I’ve really struggled to get any other job which would actually make use of my degree. I’ve applied to lots of technical type roles but I always struggle with the online tests ect. Plus, I also much prefer making use of my communication skills as opposed to working on problems.

Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I totally get your pain that it's difficult to get graduate jobs (plenty of graduates go through this even me) but don't give up! I suck at tests too so I ended up re-strategising and applying to companies that didn't use tests in their assessment process and had much better luck that way. This may mean taking on a lower paying role in your field to start with (but you have the advantage that it will be relevant experience) and then use that to move to a better company/job role that you really want once you've built up decent experience. You might even be lucky and find a decent company that pays well too. It's much easier to move into decent companies once you have built up experience.

Make use of LinkedIn and the job search engine there. Also don't be afraid to add people and ask them for advice.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 59
Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I totally get your pain that it's difficult to get graduate jobs (plenty of graduates go through this even me) but don't give up! I suck at tests too so I ended up re-strategising and applying to companies that didn't use tests in their assessment process and had much better luck that way. This may mean taking on a lower paying role in your field to start with (but you have the advantage that it will be relevant experience) and then use that to move to a better company/job role that you really want once you've built up decent experience. You might even be lucky and find a decent company that pays well too. It's much easier to move into decent companies once you have built up experience.

Make use of LinkedIn and the job search engine there. Also don't be afraid to add people and ask them for advice.

Hey, thanks for the advice.

I have applied to a really massive range of schemes some of which use online tests, some that don’t. I’ve been doing this for several months and haven’t got anywhere so far so that is causing a lot of frustration. So it’s sorta got to the point now where I would rather just take a role and even if it isn’t something I deffo want to do for say the next like 5 years at least I’ll gain some skills doing it. I moved away from my parents home as I wanted the independence and the freedom but I found it’s been somewhat difficult to get by doing the sort of jobs I’ve been doing so I think I’d be better off taking a role which at least will pay me a pretty reasonable salary and I can apply for other things in the meantime. I’d rather be doing like a proper’ job in the meantime whilst I’m applying for a grad scheme/ grad job as it’s just good for the cv and means that if I don’t manage to find something hopefully then I could focus on that role instead. The salary will also be effectively the same as what other grad positions will be offering as it would be approx 30k for the first year ( base salary 23k and then commission making up the other 7k ). And then year 2 earnings provided you’re pretty good at the job are going to be something more like 50k. Of course money isn’t everything but as someone who is currently struggling financially it would be nice to finally have a bit of security in doing a proper full time job that pays the bills and gives me some disposable income left at the end of the month!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending