The Student Room Group

Maths and Economics?

Hi, if I were to get a first in my course (see my sig, on a first after 2 years), what are my likely options? I like the statistical side of Economics, e.g. Econometrics. I don't feel I would be able to do a solid Economics degree as I haven't done any Macroeconomics (apart from 1st year), and my interest in pure Economics isn't as strong as applied Economics . Also, a straight Maths degree is a possibility, but doing a joint honours at the moment means I do miss out a chunk of Pure Maths that I would probably need for a very good MSc course.

So, to shorten the above...where could I study, and which courses do you feel would interest me? Sorry I haven't done too much research into a Masters degree yet, I'm just hoping for a few ideas for here first.

Thanks, very much appreciated.
Could you list out the Economics units you have done and will do?

For a Maths and Economics masters I suspect the Econ core units will include a quantitative unit (i.e. something with Econometrics), Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. The micro and macro material you need to know usually goes up to second year stuff.
Intro to Micro
Intro to Macro (was quite hardcore)
Econometrics
Intermediate Micro
Economics of the Financial System
Econometric Modelling 1 and 2
Economics of Industry and the Firm

First 4 were double credits. May do Developments in Micro as well in my final year, but not sure yet. I haven't done any 2nd+ year Macro, as I'm nt really interested in this!

Do you know any specific courses that would be worth a look?
Check out Paulwhy's guide on MSc Economics, as I don't really know the content of your units. What might be missing is Intermediate Macro. But you shouldn't worry too much about this as universities don't always expect "perfect candidates". For instance, according to Paul, there are lots of internationals for MSc Economics at Warwick, and within that, all of the Indians lack experience of Econometrics on a computer.

Since you seem to be heavily Econometric, LSE's MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics looks like a good choice. But of course it depends on your expected degree classification :smile:
Reply 4
could do the 2 year econometrics course at LSE?

edit oops... what he said :smile: ^
Well, I managed to get 80.7% this year, and although the degree is split 25:75 for the 2nd to 3rd year, I am hoping for a first.

I have been looking at the Financial Maths course at the LSE. Anybody have £17k lying about they could "lend" me? Haha.
Thanks for the list. I am comfortable already with the maths side of that, it's just the macro side I'm lacking; knowledge and actually wanting to study macro! As my degree is only 1/3 Economics, I don't fancy an MSc in Economics tbh!
Reply 7
What sort of job are you interested in?
and what interests you academically?
Paulwhy
What sort of job are you interested in?
and what interests you academically?

Econometrics has been interesting so far, as it's played to my strengths and I can actually make use of it. I like things like Game Theory, as I am quite a logical thinker and again find that interesting.

Tbh I haven't really thought about jobs afterwards. Finance would seem an obvious choice but from what I've seen so far, seems less interesting than Econometrics.

I'm also better at Maths than I am at Economics (just very strong at the Maths side of Economics).

Latest

Trending

Trending