Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My eyesight has been deteriorating now for a few years, but I have always stuck to glasses when asked by the optician what I would prefer to do. This was okay when I was mildly short sighted. I could put my glasses on for driving, biking etc., while performing other everyday tasks--like clubbing and boxing--without them. But I now have to wear my glasses to do almost everything except read. I'm not so much self-conscious about wearing them as I am about losing or breaking them, so I'm looking into contacts. It would be great if people could advise with reference to the following questions.

1) What are the differences between 1-day, 2-week and monthly contacts? Comfort? Ease of use? I know the 1-day ones are quite expensive. Are they worth it?

2) Do I need to have a special appointment at the opticians for contacts to be designed, and do I have to buy from that optician?

3) If I run out and I am in America--where I live most of the year--is it easy to order more of the same?

4) Are they hard to put in and take out? Does it take much practice and can they get stuck.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1) Differences between those, are all in their names lol. I personally use monthly contacts, and they're pretty good. I don't have any problems with them. If it's your first time wearing contacts, you will be recommended to wear dailies. The only problem I had with dailies, was because I used to swim competitively, I found that the contacts slipped out pretty easily, so that was annoying. 2 week ones I also found difficult to keep track of when the two weeks was actually over, so I used to wear them for three weeks or so. You find that you can actually wear the lenses over it's period, even though it's not advised.

Also with one days, you could probably wear them for 7/8 hours at most before they dry out.

2) You will need to book an appointment, so they can get your eyesight and measure the eye, and to see if you have an abnormalities (eg astigmatism), so that the lenses are designed to fit you.

I used to get my 2 weeks delivered straight to my door every month via direct debit. But have now started to order online, because I find it's cheaper, since I have astigmatism in one eye, and that meant paying extra, when normal contacts just fit as well.

3) If you're out of the country, all you need is your prescription with details on eyesight, the radius of your eye etc...all the things that the optician will have in your records.

4) I found it pretty easy putting them in. Some find it difficult. I've been wearing contacts for 3 years, so I can pretty much out them in, in the dark. They're easy to take out too. The only time it's hard to put them in your eye is when you're eyes are really dry.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bret)
    My eyesight has been deteriorating now for a few years, but I have always stuck to glasses when asked by the optician what I would prefer to do. This was okay when I was mildly short sighted. I could put my glasses on for driving, biking etc., while performing other everyday tasks--like clubbing and boxing--without them. But I now have to wear my glasses to do almost everything except read. I'm not so much self-conscious about wearing them as I am about losing or breaking them, so I'm looking into contacts. It would be great if people could advise with reference to the following questions.

1) What are the differences between 1-day, 2-week and monthly contacts? Comfort? Ease of use? I know the 1-day ones are quite expensive. Are they worth it?

2) Do I need to have a special appointment at the opticians for contacts to be designed, and do I have to buy from that optician?

3) If I run out and I am in America--where I live most of the year--is it easy to order more of the same?

4) Are they hard to put in and take out? Does it take much practice and can they get stuck.

Thanks
    Hey there, I was in a similair situation to you when I just got down right fed up of wearing glasses, mainly because they didn't suit me really.

Contacts seem to be the saviour haha

1) There isn't too much difference in how they feel (I should know I tried 1 a day contacts then switched to monthly) what I found is dayly ones are just put in and go, whilst monthly ones take a lot of care maintaning, I'm a bit of a worrier so I was always worried like amoeba would grow on them!

It depends, if you want ease of putting in, and don't cringe like me when you stick them in, daily, otherwise, monthly.

2) Go to the optician, they will walk you through it and will make sure you get the prime treatment. Period.

3) Yes! I was given a specific order number and all that, you're not left to guess! haha

4) NO! a common myth, all that happens is it's a bit cringey at first. It's like putting a glove on

I really hope that helps and calms your nerves!

ReputationRep:
    1) Mostly thickness, and material. The 2 week and monthly continuous lenses are made from a material that allows much more oxygen to your cornea, so potentially they are better for your eyes and very convenient (put them in on day 1, take them out at day 30). Dailies avoid the need for washing and storing lenses and they are very thin an comfortable - but you can only wear them for a certain amount of time each day, and they're expensive. No napping while still wearing the lenses! Monthlies where you remove them every night are less convenient, as they must be cleaned and stored properly - but are very cheap at around £5/month.

2) You will need a special appointment - but if you have a standard prescription (i.e. just +/- SPH and no CYL) you'll probably walk out of the appointment wearing lenses. Specsavers are doing free appointments with free trial lenses at the moment.

3) It is just as easy to order more lenses in the US, but you may need an American practitioner to assess you as your UK prescription won't be accepted.

4) Taking them in and out takes some practice. Despite the horror stories they can't really get stuck - a few weeks and you'll be doing it with ease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bret)
    Thanks
    I'm exactly the same as you in terms of when I need my glasses, and I switched to contacts last week

1) I've got monthly ones because they were the ones advised to me by the optician due to the cost mainly. They also let more oxygen into your eye, which is healthier

2) I had to go in for a "fit" where they check your eyesight hasnt changed since your last appointment and put them in for you. After you've wandered around for about 10 minutes they check your eyesight and eye condition, then they show you how to put them in/take them out/use solution etc.

3) There are many websites on the net that sell them, or you can buy them in advance from your optician (monthlies would certainly work out cheaper here!)

4) The first few days I was fine putting mine in. However, my eye started to become more sensitive, and I noticed that my (monthly) lenses gathered dust quite easily, causing me a lot of discomfort/pain. However, I practiced taking them in a lot more and it's fine now (been wearing them for just over a week). Taking out is absolutely fine.

Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. Thanks for the advice people. I'd rep you but it's not much use since I'm in the red.

I've always had NHS tests, but this year I have to pay. Does this Vision Express deal look any good? Only hting is, it doesn't tell you how much the actual sight test is going to be. http://www.visionexpress.com/iris/

ReputationRep:
    SPECSAVERS... free = good (NHS or not, it's still free)

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend Specasavers because I've always found it better quailty stuff there personally, but I've never used Vision Express so I can't compare I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    can i just say, specsavers are not running the free trial at the moment, i work there and i constantly have to inform people that its £20 for a fit, or free if you sign up on direct debit that day. The free trial ran out a while back.

ReputationRep:
    4) NO! a common myth, all that happens is it's a bit cringey at first. It's like putting a glove on
    The hard lenses are hard to keep in. I find anyway. It's literally like having a piece of glass in your eye and it's taken me ages to get used to. Taking them out is fine and putting them in takes a few minutes but I found them really awkward at the start

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could wear contact lenses but I've tried them twice and I find them so difficult to put in.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise not to use Dolland & Aitcheson as I went with them because they had some offer on and I set up a direct debit but then a month after they were supposed to arrive they still hadn't so I cancelled it all and went to my usual local optician.

If it's of any use I know if you are a student 19+ or have a low income you can apply for some NHS discounts so you're eye exam and dental check ups are free.

ReputationRep:
    Send her a letter. Or smack her. You know you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bret)
    3) If I run out and I am in America--where I live most of the year--is it easy to order more of the same?Thanks
    Most places in America will want to contact your doctor to confirm your prescription before selling you contacts. You just can't walk off the street and buy them here. If I were you, I would just buy them one place or the other but not both. When you leave the one place, buy enough to last until you get back. You'll save money as you'll be buying in bulk. You also won't have to go through the hassle of trying to use a UK prescription in the US.

ReputationRep:
    1) Ive used ordinary monthlies, dailys, and day and night lenses (you keep them in for 2 weeks at a time). In terms of both comfort and practicality the day and nights are by far superior but they cost a lot more. If you only want to wear the lenses for a couple of days a week then go for dailies (far cheaper and no cleaning). Monthlies are the cheapest option if you want to wear them every day but they need more maintinence than the other two and I found them to be the least comfortable. Basically talk it over with the optition and work out what will be best for you.

2) Yes you need to book an apointment with an optition but you can usually buy lenses online for less money once you have the prescription. This also means you can have them sent to where ever in the world you happen to be.

3) allready covered

4) Some people pick it up quicker than others but after a few weeks it should be second nature.

I have had lenses dry up and fall out of my eyes but as far as I know its pretty difficult to lose one in your eye so I wouldnt worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    try out some dailys ones, i think spec savers give like a one week trail for free.

I have very sensitive eyes and therefore cant wear contacts all the time, only every now and again. but i think the daily ones are great as i use them for swimming without any problems.

i also notice wearing them in a air conditioning office makes your eyes really dry. so keep that in mind! i keep a bottle of eye drops for contacts in my bag just in case.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.