Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am considering Manchester University as one of the universities I apply to for architecture (I will be applying for the year 2010), I know its a long time off but I am really undecisive so need lots of time!, anyway I just wondered what Manchester university and the area itself is like? You hear so much stuff about it being bad and how crime is high there etc..etc. My family particularly seem against me going there, since they know 2 people in the same family who were mugged. But I want to know the truth from students who are there or have studied there!
    Thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    manchester is two of my choices... you've got me a tad worried now!

perhaps if you're all street and northern you're okay *ironic ghetto hand gestures*

ReputationRep:
    Was there [well, Salford] for 4 years and never came close to seeing/getting into any trouble.

As student cities go it's the best there is, with the possible additions of Liverpool, Newcastle and Nottingham.

Like any big city it's got it's dodgy areas, but you use common sense and stay away.

Friend of mine graduated from Architecture this year - loved it. Hard work though.

ReputationRep:
    I am somewhat biased having been born in the city, but I honestly don't think it's any worse han any other big city - be sensible and you'll be fine. I think you have to place these things in perspective - there are thousands of students in the city and most of them don't have any trouble. If you want to have an idea about the city, then the following link gives you an idea of what's going on in many different areas.
    http://www.prideofmanchester.com/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    perhaps if you're all street and northern you're okay *ironic ghetto hand gestures*
    Northern? This is Manchester we're talking about :p:

Parts of Manchester have a high rate of crime, yes. Even so, my brother has just been living close to one of its worst bits and, during a year, didn't have any trouble (there was the one shooting at the top of the street but that was it).

Most of the city's crime rate is average (for a major city) and you are always unlikely to be a victim of serious crime wherever you are (in the country). Take the usual precautions, try not to walk alone at dark etc. The university will probably also have their own safety advice. Some universities give students panic alarms, for example.

It's a fine uni and a dynamic city. It would be a shame to miss out on studying there just because you (or your parents) have (understandable) concerns about crime.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think its all that bad, i'll be applying there for 2009.
    its definetly one of the best cities for a good night out and oxford road always seems to be busy everytime i'm there so i think if you avoid dodgy areas and stick with a crowd then you'll be fine. i don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be to be honest (even though i don't live there) otherwise it wouldnt get as many applicants as it does now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Was there [well, Salford] for 4 years and never came close to seeing/getting into any trouble.

As student cities go it's the best there is, with the possible additions of Liverpool, Newcastle and Nottingham.

Like any big city it's got it's dodgy areas, but you use common sense and stay away.

Friend of mine graduated from Architecture this year - loved it. Hard work though.
    You stayed in Salford for 4 years and avoided trouble? :eek:

Manchester, to answer the OPs question, is fairly rough but be smart and you'll be fine. Don't go into dark alleys, unlit streets, and anywhere outside the city centre late at night without taking a taxi (or bus). Stay in groups also when you are out!

ReputationRep:
    its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, nobody is dumb enough to look for trouble so basically its a good place on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    will have a 100% chance of getting raped/murdered/run over/happyslapped..

All at the same time. Seriosuly, it happens in every city, didnt you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graemematt)
    You stayed in Salford for 4 years and avoided trouble? :eek:

Manchester, to answer the OPs question, is fairly rough but be smart and you'll be fine. Don't go into dark alleys, unlit streets, and anywhere outside the city centre late at night without taking a taxi (or bus). Stay in groups also when you are out!
    I know, lucky bugger, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is bad if you go to the wrong areas, but the university is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I know, lucky bugger, eh?
    Either that or you're absolutely ripped :p:

ReputationRep:
    i've lived in the main students areas for a year now and know of very little crime, its pretty safe to walk home by yourself at 4am - no-one i know has been attacked.
    its no where near as bad as people make it out to be, i am however worried about my mates living in center of moss side next year, with me living 5 mins away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graemematt)
    Either that or you're absolutely ripped :p:
    It's the 2 12-gauge shotguns I carry everywhere...:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the university in September, but I've lived in Manchester all my life. I've never been mugged and the city seems just as safe, or the inverse, as any other big city.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is cool.

On the whole crime in Manchester is no worse than any comparable city. Certainly, coming from a commuter town to London i'd be more wary in London than in Manchester. I've lived in Mancs 3 years and not had any trouble so far. What i notice about Manchester is that the sort of crime you probably hear about is in reality extremely confined to problem areas which students tend to avoid anyway. In fact I lived merely a 5 minute walk from Moss Side, a notorius estate, yet i didn't see any crime.

Manchester is a very different place to even what it was like just a few years ago. It's changing fast and there's plenty of new areas being opened up through regeneration. Personally i love strolls down the canal paths, you get an interesting perspective on the city.

My tip?

There's lots of hidden gems and undergound events so if you do come here, after your initial tour, search around and you'll find plenty more interesting things hidden away. I've found entire clubs and pubs literaly underground!

ReputationRep:
    Just for contrast - my sister has been a student there for three years. In that time she's been mugged (phone & purse) and had a brick through one of the bedroom windows of her shared house. That said, she still loves it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smooth3k)
    Just for contrast - my sister has been a student there for three years. In that time she's been mugged (phone & purse) and had a brick through one of the bedroom windows of her shared house. That said, she still loves it there.
    Really? I live in Salford and I've never had any of that!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is great! I've lived there all my life (20 years) and the only crime i've experienced first hand is someone trying to steal my phone (they didnt even manage it!) so yeh if youre sensible and dont become friends with gang members or anything daft like that then you are in no more danger than any other big city!
    And for students its supposed to be one of the best - the area I live in for instance (a residential area about 4-5 miles from city centre) has loads of bars and pubs and theyre all very friendly! Well all but one or two but you learn not to go in them! And the city centre has a huge amount of pubs/clubs/bars!!!
    One of my friends goes to uni in cumbria and she says there is the same amount of pubs/bars in the whole town, as there is in the small area of Manchester I live in (and that she used to live in)!
    Don't let repuatation/what you hear on the news put you off because for most people it's not like that at all i feel very safe here

ReputationRep:
    Well I have lived in Manchester all my life and yes there is a lot of crime - however this occurs in most cities and will most likely be no different from where you live.

However personally for me, crime that may differentiate Manchester from other cities in general is that there is a lot of gang crime depending on where you live but it is usually gang on gang so being a student or an everyday person should leave you well out of it.

But Manchester is great - Trafford Centre is awesome, Wilmslow road owns all other places in the UK for restaurants and cafes especially for curries hence the name 'Curry Mile' and many many more things to do - I am sure there is an old thread on this where I have pointed out a lot.

But dont worry about crime its not different to most other cities dont particulary know about the rates but just crime in general. Also for students apparently its meant to be great a lot cheaper than other cities and many things to keep you occupied. Also not if it makes a difference to you but the city as a whole is quite diverse with many races, religions and different cultures although again like other cities it does have it's ghettos etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.