Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's worth remembering that as a student you will likely only be seeing parts of the city - 95 percent of students won't deviate from the well trodden paths - Uni, Halls and immediate neighbourhood and the centre. In Manchester's case that is all one road!

It's not like most people go to the bus station and think hmmm instead of Fallowfield, I fancy Eccles today.

I've been jumped in Manchester but it was after Liverpool had just won a trophy there and I naively wore my scarf out on the street, normally there never would be that problem!

That being said the people in Manchester generally seem a lot less friendly and accommodating than in Liverpool, a lot seem like plassy londoners and that. You're unlikely to cross paths with any real plassy gangsters on a day to day basis unless you hang around for too long in Rusholme

ReputationRep:
    I always assumed fallowfield was the safest part of town. I don't think your more likely to get mugged here than in london. Don't not apply because of the crime, its really not so bad - as in negligable (Double Negative :p: ). That said, I didn't think the architecture department was particularly central. On top of which, there are gazillions of students around town. And even lowly muggers are clever enough to know that poor, penniless students aren't ideal targets.

(Also, you have great taste in degree choice )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's crime - but you'll get that with any big city. I've been there a year and not had any trouble. I've felt pretty safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izaldo)

It's not like most people go to the bus station and think hmmm instead of Fallowfield, I fancy Eccles today.
    That made me laugh, buts its true most students hardly ever leave oxford/wilmslow rd

ReputationRep:
    Which is a real pity since they never get the chance to experience what the city has to offer. Friend of mine who graduated last year is still kicking himself that he never got that photograph he wanted outside Salford Lads Club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanfromman)
    One of my friends goes to uni in cumbria and she says there is the same amount of pubs/bars in the whole town, as there is in the small area of Manchester I live in (and that she used to live in)!
    Don't let repuatation/what you hear on the news put you off because for most people it's not like that at all i feel very safe here
    Haha I live in Cumbria and go to uni in Manchester and what she said is completely true. But I fail to see why anyone would go from Manchester to Cumbria for uni! I'm home for the holidays and I'm bored to death.

My flatmates were from London and they used to moan about how dangerous Manchester apparently is, and how all their families called it 'Gunchester' etc etc. But how many teenagers have been killed in London so far this year? Admittedly London is far bigger but still, I'd feel safer in Manchester any day. Especially along Oxford Road.

Yes, some parts of Manchester are rough, it's like any city. Gangs in areas like Moss Side have given it a bad reputation. But the university corridor is generally a really nice area, I wouldn't let something like crime put you off going to the uni.

indie_couture I really should stop giving you advice now, I'm gonna bully you into going to Manchester after everything I've said in the architecture thread

ReputationRep:
    it depends which part of manchester to be honest because the student areas like oxford road/fallowfield/ disbury etc are pretty safe.

i live about 2 minutes away from the uni along Brunswick street. it can be a little dodgy but only if you anoy the wrong people

ReputationRep:
    there's more crime in London than in Manchester.
    So if your living in London then don't worry so much about the "crime" that happens in Manchester as, statically, its worse in London .

ReputationRep:
    It's worth remembering that as a student you will likely only be seeing parts of the city - 95 percent of students won't deviate from the well trodden paths - Uni, Halls and immediate neighbourhood and the centre. In Manchester's case that is all one road!

I've been jumped in Manchester but it was after Liverpool had just won a trophy there and I naively wore my scarf out on the street, normally there never would be that problem!

That being said the people in Manchester generally seem a lot less friendly and accommodating than in Liverpool, a lot seem like plassy londoners and that. You're unlikely to cross paths with any real plassy gangsters on a day to day basis unless you hang around for too long in Rusholme
    What's a plassy Londoner?
    I'm not with the northern lingo [yet]. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazza07)
    What's a plassy Londoner?
    I'm not with the northern lingo [yet]. :woo:
    Fake!

Wannabe Londoners is how they come across anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Fake!

haha I'm with you now.
    Nothing beats a real Londoner. :p: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Fake!

Now I know I'm biased having been born here, but I've never heard this before. And my Manc accent is as strong now as it was when I was five!

ReputationRep:
    I mean the people you see in the centre, Deansgate ecetera on a working day. Not the accent but it's the office bound types! True they probably live in Wilmslow but Manchester they frequent!

ReputationRep:
    ah understand - don't really count them as locals being from Wythenshawe myself

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.