Learning A level Further Maths by myself Watch

Cherry2468
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m going to do A level further maths on top of a level maths but because my college didn’t have enough people doing it, I need to do it privately and I want to know how i should plan my maths work across the two years. Like, whether I should try and get all my A level maths content done first in the first year and work on the further maths next year or whether I should do them at the same time. (btw I’m doing maths and further maths exams at the end of year 2 and I’m in year 1 right now so in year 2 my maths classes will still be about normal a level maths) If there are any ideas or experience on how I should plan my work for maths pls help. Thanks!
johnnyliu8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cherry2468)
Hi, I’m going to do A level further maths on top of a level maths but because my college didn’t have enough people doing it, I need to do it privately and I want to know how i should plan my maths work across the two years. Like, whether I should try and get all my A level maths content done first in the first year and work on the further maths next year or whether I should do them at the same time. (btw I’m doing maths and further maths exams at the end of year 2 and I’m in year 1 right now so in year 2 my maths classes will still be about normal a level maths) If there are any ideas or experience on how I should plan my work for maths pls help. Thanks!
Hi. I don't do further math but I know someone who does it and he is a class below me. he does it on his free times because the school doesn't really offer it in a way. As soon as he started in Sept, he was learning our math while doing AS math because in AS further math there are some stuff that is from A level math. He has completed both pure 1 and 3 (AS and A level math). I think if you really wanna do good in further math, you have to speed up the A Level syllabus for regular math so that you can understand further math easier. I guess it also depends on your exam board too. Our exam board is Cambridge International Examination (CIE)
Cherry2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by johnnyliu8)
Hi. I don't do further math but I know someone who does it and he is a class below me. he does it on his free times because the school doesn't really offer it in a way. As soon as he started in Sept, he was learning our math while doing AS math because in AS further math there are some stuff that is from A level math. He has completed both pure 1 and 3 (AS and A level math). I think if you really wanna do good in further math, you have to speed up the A Level syllabus for regular math so that you can understand further math easier. I guess it also depends on your exam board too. Our exam board is Cambridge International Examination (CIE)
Thank you for the reply. I’m gonna need to hurry and do a lot of work since I only actually decided on doing further maths two weeks ago and it’s already nearly 2020. I have planned to finish all the regular maths topics by the end of March so I guess I’m aiming for the right track. thanks again for helping
johnnyliu8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cherry2468)
Thank you for the reply. I’m gonna need to hurry and do a lot of work since I only actually decided on doing further maths two weeks ago and it’s already nearly 2020. I have planned to finish all the regular maths topics by the end of March so I guess I’m aiming for the right track. thanks again for helping
well, good luck! I have seen the amount of work needed for further math and it's intense but once you put in the time and effort, you should be able to achieve the grades you want.
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I taught myself Maths before learning Further Maths but doing AS of both is also a good idea (like, learning year 1 content of both then year 2) but doing all of Maths is good too - are you wanting to sit the actual exam? It's a bit harder to get A* in year 12 for Maths because you've just been introduced to that.
Cherry2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
I taught myself Maths before learning Further Maths but doing AS of both is also a good idea (like, learning year 1 content of both then year 2) but doing all of Maths is good too - are you wanting to sit the actual exam? It's a bit harder to get A* in year 12 for Maths because you've just been introduced to that.
I’m gonna hopefully do both full A level exams at the end of year 13 so we don’t do AS exams.
Dancer2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is some of AS further maths you could probably learn now (eg. Complex numbers, vietas formulae) but other parts will be much easier if you learn all of the pure content from a level maths first (eg. Vectors, possibly volumes of revolution and induction).
I would definitely try to get ahead with all of the pure stuff from A level maths before doing most of further maths, but you could leave the applied content until later if you wanted.
What exam board on? How is your school covering the a level maths content?
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 month ago
Cherry2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
There is some of AS further maths you could probably learn now (eg. Complex numbers, vietas formulae) but other parts will be much easier if you learn all of the pure content from a level maths first (eg. Vectors, possibly volumes of revolution and induction).
I would definitely try to get ahead with all of the pure stuff from A level maths before doing most of further maths, but you could leave the applied content until later if you wanted.
What exam board on? How is your school covering the a level maths content?
Thank you for the advice. Our school does OCR MEI which is not very popular and we’re covering the content over the two years since everyone else in my class is only doing the normal A Level Maths.
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm self studier, currently half way through the second year OCR content. All I can say is that in the first year it is very straight forward, key points would be vector transformation in 3D which you will be required to have studied matrix and vectors before so you won't find any problem dealing with dot product or cross product. Making a swiftly and effective progress through the first year would be hugely beneficial to you. As per second year, the prospect is very challenge. You must have built a strong foundation at the A level maths content, specially in CALCULUS = INTEGRALS INSIDE OUT.
Good luck!
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No point building a house with weak foundations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (224)
67.47%
No (108)
32.53%

Watched Threads