The Student Room Group

Im a sikh and want to cut my long hair but to embarrassed to go through with it

I was born in a family with one really religous parent and one who is atheist. My religous parent has always told me never to cut my hair ever since i can remember and i grew up more or less with one parent (the religious one) who is extremely conservative. Im not religious at all and cant bring myself to cut my hair, i feel too much shame and embrassement from showing my hair to people let alone cutting it. I would feel so embarrased even standing infront of atheists with cut hair, also domt want to be rejected by my sikh peers and relatives
Just cut it, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, it's just hair. No ones going to make fun of you for having a hair cut. If you aren't religious then there's nothing stopping you. If you get rejected by others then that's their problem not yours. Never think what others will think or do, it's your hair and your decision to cut it or not. How long is your hair anyway?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Just cut it, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, it's just hair. No ones going to make fun of you for having a hair cut. If you aren't religious then there's nothing stopping you. If you get rejected by others then that's their problem not yours. Never think what others will think or do, it's your hair and your decision to cut it or not. How long is your hair anyway?

It goes down to my hip
Find a youtube tutorial and cut it yourself?
It goes down to my hip

That's long, are you a guy or a girl?
Reply 5
That's long, are you a guy or a girl?

a Guy
Reply 6
I’m not Sikh but why would you feel shame standing in front of atheists? They wouldn’t see anything wrong with you cutting your hair. Also it’s your hair and if you want to cut it then do it. Don’t do something you don’t want to do if you’re only doing it to please others and it has no deeper meaning to you personally.
Reply 7
Original post by Em.-.
I’m not Sikh but why would you feel shame standing in front of atheists? They wouldn’t see anything wrong with you cutting your hair. Also it’s your hair and if you want to cut it then do it. Don’t do something you don’t want to do if you’re only doing it to please others and it has no deeper meaning to you personally.

its because of the way i have been brought up; that it is bad to cut your hair and not follow the religion, ive been conditioned like this from a young age and this is the affect it has had on me psychologically, that even showing my hair would give me shame and embarrassment (i just said in front of athiests idk why i dont think i have ever articulated this so it wasnt clear to me either). the main reason i dont want long hair is because i'm not religious and would rather have short hair. i just cant bring myself to do it.
Reply 8
its because of the way i have been brought up; that it is bad to cut your hair and not follow the religion, ive been conditioned like this from a young age and this is the affect it has had on me psychologically, that even showing my hair would give me shame and embarrassment (i just said in front of athiests idk why i dont think i have ever articulated this so it wasnt clear to me either). the main reason i dont want long hair is because i'm not religious and would rather have short hair. i just cant bring myself to do it.

Why not explore the internet and try and find stories of people who have had a similar experience to you? Maybe they will explain how they managed to gain the courage to cut their hair and share advice on how to feel good about it rather than shameful.
My friend's father is a retired sikh priest.
The rest of his family are khalsa observant religious sikhs who don't eat meat or cut their hair and go to gurdwara at least once a day.
He still lives with his parents and is atheist, cuts his hair, drinks alcohol, eats all kinds of meat.
He is open about who he is, his parents accept his freedom to choose his lifestyle and he does not care what the khalistanis or vicious people think of him.

You can't please everyone.
Sooner or later you will have to decide between what you want and obeying religious people, whose rules you disagree with.
It's a question of which one do you want- a secular life or one where religion comes first.
Make your choice and live with it.
Good luck! :smile:
Firstly, you shouldn’t be ashamed of your long hair no matter what people say. Being Sikh is your identity and long hair is a part of it. If you only want to get rid of it cause you are ashamed then it’s wrong. You shouldn’t be ashamed of your identity or your family’s identity.

Also, i know Sikhism and it doesn’t require you to always believe in god. It requires you to believe in teachings of a guru. Guru who guides you towards humanity. Despite not being a Sikh myself, i am really proud of Sikhs for treating everyone equally and being humane in a world full of humanity.

Don’t cut your hair please. The turban and the long hair have a significant whether you completely understand it yet or not. :smile:
a Guy

Do you wear a turban?
Do you wear a turban?

I wear something called a patka (my hair is tied in a bun behind my head with a sort of do-rag on top)
Try cutting off most of it at home - then go to a barbers to get the rest cut properly. It won't be embarrassing that way.
I wear something called a patka (my hair is tied in a bun behind my head with a sort of do-rag on top)

How old are you? If you're an adult then just cut it, your parents can't tell you what to do. You said you aren't religious so why do you wear a patka? What's stopping you from cutting your hair?
I totally get what you mean, I’m also a Sikh (but I’m a girl) and my parents do get weird about me cutting my hair (I get my haircut around once every 8 months) and it you deep it for some people it makes them more confident and happier and something I’m trying to do is to stop pleasing others (mainly family members) over stuff that makes me happier eg if my mums weird about me wanting to certain things we try to talk it out so she understands why I want to do these things. Another thing, in the future you might regret not taking these certain steps in your life cause it’s your life to live at the end of the day. Also something you may or may not relate to is when you are younger and you picture yourself when your older doing these things your parents didn’t really want you doing eg cutting your hair but you get to that ‘older’ age and you still haven’t done it, it makes you feel a bit crap. I feel like I made that way to deep lol but you know that you want to cut your hair so convince yourself to do it now rather than later. I wish you all the best if you haven’t done it already and hopefully your peers and relatives like it (it will take a while for you and them to get used to but remember you are doing it for yourself) and try not to feel like sh*t when they take the piss and low-key shame you for doing it cause it will blow over. I remember when my sister cut her hair in a Bob and she donated so much of it to charity and my grandmother and other relatives would make fun of her saying she looks like a Brahmin (no hate to Hindus but it was just them saying she doesn’t look like a Sikh) but these relatives would have children who cut their hair etc but would make you feel uncomfortable about doing these things... anyway sorry about the rant some of it probs doesn’t make sense but I hope you are doing well xx
Original post by Anonymous #1
I was born in a family with one really religous parent and one who is atheist. My religous parent has always told me never to cut my hair ever since i can remember and i grew up more or less with one parent (the religious one) who is extremely conservative. Im not religious at all and cant bring myself to cut my hair, i feel too much shame and embrassement from showing my hair to people let alone cutting it. I would feel so embarrased even standing infront of atheists with cut hair, also domt want to be rejected by my sikh peers and relatives

Bro I am also a Sikh and I also want to chop off my long hairs but my parents are literally too conservative towards religion and 19 yrs old ...plz reply wanna know you bro ...am also an atheist I don't wanna practise any religious ****

Latest