Turn on thread page Beta

Oil or animals watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to a vegetarian friend of mine today who was insisting I should buy synthetic shoes to prevent the suffering of animals. This made me curious because synthetic materials are derived from oil, so I was wondering which is the lesser evil in people's eyes? I can see merit to both arguments

ReputationRep:
    buy hemp shoes!! vegan and natural

personally i am completely animal-free so definately NOT leather.. however there is still a choice, and ideally id go for withough oil/plastic too. I wear canvas shoes, fabric belts and have two hemp handbags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    honestly, its people like you giving crazy people a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm I guess I hadn't considered that :p:
    is that practical though?

ReputationRep:
    There are so many factors involved, everytime someone finds a killer point its countered. Maybe massive sections of the seabed had to be cleared to lay the pipes for the oil, killing millions of life forms.... You get my point, it goes in circles - just buy whatever you like

ReputationRep:

personally i am completely animal-free so definately NOT leather.. however there is still a choice, and ideally id go for withough oil/plastic too. I wear canvas shoes, fabric belts and have two hemp handbags.

Reason 234 why I am not a vegetarian :yep:

ReputationRep:
    thinking about it properly I guess I buy enough synthetic stuff already, but saying that I also eat my share of meat...I have basically failed to prove any point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieryiceissweet)
    honestly, its people like you giving crazy people a bad name.
    what? why? Im not crazy.. i just care.

and sativa trainers are great:

ReputationRep:
    Oil is actually already dead, so I think it would be the better option by your friend's criteria.

ReputationRep:
    what? why? Im not crazy.. i just care.

and sativa trainers are great:

Thanks, but I'll stick to my Converses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Thanks, but I'll stick to my Converses.
    converses = amazing, see also; vans and DC's

ReputationRep:
    alot of vans are actually vegan. though you dont escape the chemicals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markinnon)
    I was talking to a vegetarian friend of mine today who was insisting I should buy synthetic shoes to prevent the suffering of animals. This made me curious because synthetic materials are derived from oil, so I was wondering which is the lesser evil in people's eyes? I can see merit to both arguments
    Tell your veggie mate to sod off and **** a tree.

ReputationRep:
    Veganism blows.

ReputationRep:
    alot of vans are actually vegan. though you dont escape the chemicals.
    Nobody ever escapes the chemicals...

They are, even now, waiting in a myriad of places where you don't even expect them. Waiting for you to eat them, put them in your mouth, rub them on your skin, breathe them in, touch them...

ReputationRep:
    naaaaah it doesnt :p:

ReputationRep:

Lets never wash and become hippies and save the world!

ReputationRep:
    Id stick with the leather shoes, if it makes you feel badly then go with the synthetic ones. But in the grand scheme of things its not going to make people stopping using oil or using leather for shoes etc!
    And a hemp handbags? *shudder*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrybella1)
    Id stick with the leather shoes, if it makes you feel badly then go with the synthetic ones. But in the grand scheme of things its not going to make people stopping using oil or using leather for shoes etc!
    And a hemp handbags? *shudder*
    I think that's the argument I most commonly use, I'm not gonna change anything so I'll do what I want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markinnon)
    I think that's the argument I most commonly use, I'm not gonna change anything so I'll do what I want
    Well, I think unless you feel in a really strongly 'Im going to start campaigning about this' type way, then you probably arent going to make much of a difference to things.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.