The Student Room Group

English Literature Anthology Poetry help

Does anyone know how to revise for the anthology poetry for literature? My mocks are in 9 days and I'm struggling with English
Go through the poems reading them, ignoring the academic side, and just thinking about how you feel as you read them, and what you think about different characters. Just write this down in the simplist terms possible. Next, go through each poem identifying language techniques. Next, dentify how those techniques influence how you feel about the poem. Whether it's a full stop or alliteration or a similie or lots of the letter B in a single word, every word has been chosen for a reason. Whether or not the writer directly noticed all the characteristics of each word that made them choose it is a different matter. Think of English lit as psychology through writing - you're analysing what the author wanted to say and how you consequently feel as the result of this pem. Next, take the main themes of the poem and relate your feelings and the language techniques to these themes. E.g. Caesura distorts the theme of freedom become it divides the words up, stopping the flow of the sentance. Everything impacts everything else, remember. Hope this helps! Remember to ask your teacher for help and talk to them if you have any ideas about the poems which are more unusual.
i'd pick a few quotes from each poem and learn them; yeah, there's 15 poems but honestly it's not that bad when you think about the magnitude of content you need to be learning for your other subjects too. your knowledge of the poems is more important than quotes, though having some at hand can really help.
perhaps make a sheet for each poem with all the key details? quotes, themes, methods, context and poems they can be compared to. don't overload the sheet with information, condense it right down to the key points and once you've learnt them you can practice essays comparing these poems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending