The Student Room Group

Depo shot ruining my relationship?

Hi, I don’t know whether this is the right place to be posting this but I just need advice and for anybody who’s had similar issues to give me some guidance.

Basically I’ve been with my boyfriend for 3 months, everything was lovely and I was head over heels for him. It’s worth mentioning I’ve been on the depo shot for 1 year. A couple of weeks before I was due for my 5th injection of depo, I started to get very emotional, the littlest things would make me cry (something I’ve never experienced whilst on the depo shot considering I’d already been on it a year). I went for my 5th shot and mentioned this to my nurse and she advised me it was due to me maybe needing to get the shot earlier than 13 weeks and that my hormones would balance out after this shot. But no, I started to feel almost depressed (also something I’ve never experienced whilst on the shot) and I also started having intrusive thoughts that I didn’t fancy my boyfriend and didn’t want to be with him. It’s now been just over a month since the depo shot and I still feel the same about him; I feel like I don’t want to be with him? This was odd as I went from being head over heels for him to not liking him within a week. It’s also worth mentioning I have no sex drive whatsoever which also I never have experienced with the shot before. I’m writing this as I want to know if anybody else has any similar experiences with this and could anybody advise me on what to do as I don’t want to push him away as he’s a good guy and very understanding (I’ve told him all of this). It’s making me constantly anxious and I feel terrible because I know he cares about me a lot but most the time I don’t miss him and don’t feel how I used to a month ago :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I don’t know whether this is the right place to be posting this but I just need advice and for anybody who’s had similar issues to give me some guidance.

Basically I’ve been with my boyfriend for 3 months, everything was lovely and I was head over heels for him. It’s worth mentioning I’ve been on the depo shot for 1 year. A couple of weeks before I was due for my 5th injection of depo, I started to get very emotional, the littlest things would make me cry (something I’ve never experienced whilst on the depo shot considering I’d already been on it a year). I went for my 5th shot and mentioned this to my nurse and she advised me it was due to me maybe needing to get the shot earlier than 13 weeks and that my hormones would balance out after this shot. But no, I started to feel almost depressed (also something I’ve never experienced whilst on the shot) and I also started having intrusive thoughts that I didn’t fancy my boyfriend and didn’t want to be with him. It’s now been just over a month since the depo shot and I still feel the same about him; I feel like I don’t want to be with him? This was odd as I went from being head over heels for him to not liking him within a week. It’s also worth mentioning I have no sex drive whatsoever which also I never have experienced with the shot before. I’m writing this as I want to know if anybody else has any similar experiences with this and could anybody advise me on what to do as I don’t want to push him away as he’s a good guy and very understanding (I’ve told him all of this). It’s making me constantly anxious and I feel terrible because I know he cares about me a lot but most the time I don’t miss him and don’t feel how I used to a month ago :frown:

Im sorry i dont really know i hope things get better X
Reply 2
Yes definitely and you’re not the only one . I got Depo Shot January 2020 , since then, I’ve never felt the same . Depression, suicidal thoughts , massive mood swings . It’s as if I’m not myself anymore . This is why as of August 2020 I’ve decided to stop taking this method . I’m sticking to condoms point period . Due to my mood swings it ruined my relationship as many others have said it caused to harm their sexual desire or attitude toward their significant other.
Reply 3
If you think somethings wrong ( which it comes across as if there is ), I suggest you talk to your doctors about it. Your relationship and mental health should not be compromised for your birth control.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi, I’m going through the exact same as you right now. And I had my last shot at 10 weeks not 13 and I think that’s what has made me like this. How are you coping now? I’m really struggling with these horrible thoughts.
Reply 5
Jan 2021 I got depo, and just had my 10 week shot and feel like crap (nauseous/weak). My boyfriend has been asking what's going on with me for weeks now. Until reading this I hadn't considered my behavior was related to my depo. I've gained weight and miss my cycle which I now know are normal. But my boyfriend said I don't seem excited about anything anymore and he feels like I'm pushing him away. I've also been struggling to stay motivated, but I thought it was just because I'm juggling a few too many things in life right now. Regretting my shot this morning 🙁
Reply 6
I would see that as normal in many relationships. Whether they’re a good guy or not, that “high” point never lasts. I’ve been married for two years. Some days I can’t get enough of him. Other days I just want to be alone ..for a week or so haha. I wouldn’t blame that on depo though.
I'm actually experiencing the same. I've been with my husband for 5 years. In the beginning we couldn't keep our hands off each other. Now, since I've been on the shot for 3 years, I have no desire whatsoever. I feel awful ALL the time. I feel like I could live my life without him and I'd be fine.... that's so awful!! I'm even more depressed and I struggle to even make it out of bed some days. We argue so much now that I know it's my mood swings that are all over the place and it's not getting any better. I'm now going to be getting off the **** and I'm honestly horrified even more about coming off and trying to get my body back to normal.
Reply 8
I hope you make it through this. I'm experiencing the same as you and I'm so scared. I'm with my boyfriend for over 7 years now and I can't get these thoughts out of my head. I want this to be over. I took the shot in February and I noticed a drastic mood change. I explained everything to my boyfriend but some days I feel ok and others it feels like I'm battling with thoughts. I just want to love him like I used to.
Yes I understand my girlfriend she been distance for 1 year now she doesn’t talk to me like she used to you don’t even want to see me no more and I know it’s the depo shot because she wasn’t acting like that until she got on it I’m not giving up on her Ik she still there you just have to give it time and I will do it so I’m wait for her I’m not giving up god wouldn’t give up on us so why would I do whatever you do get off the shot get a couple of months for the effects to leave your body you got this he shouldn’t give up on you either!

Latest

Trending

Trending