Blue Monday - The most depressing day of the year? Watch

Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Today is 'Blue Monday'. According to so called experts, it falls on the 3rd Monday of every January and takes into account things like debt, the long nights, the end of Christmas and just generally feeling unmotivated and the most depressing day of the year.

Is it scientific? No, but this apparent accumulation of factors all rolled into one mean it may affect people's mood. Scientists have pointed to the feelings being very similar to those who experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and mental health charities have argued it trivialises those experiencing mental health difficulties as it implies that feeling low is date specific - when the complete opposite is true.

So what do you guys think? Is there any truth to 'Blue Monday?' Do you think it trivialises mental health difficulties? Lastly, what would you suggest to someone feeling a bit 'down in the dumps'?
Last edited by Deyesy; 1 month ago
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Deyesy)
Today is 'Blue Monday'. According to so called experts, it falls on the 3rd Monday of every January and takes into account things like debt, the long nights, the end of Christmas and just generally feeling unmotivated and the most depressing day of the year.

Is it scientific? No, but this apparent accumulation of factors all rolled into one mean it may affect people's mood. Scientists have pointed to the feelings being very similar to those who experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and mental health charities have argued it trivialises those experiencing mental health difficulties as it implies that feeling low is date specific - when the complete opposite is true.

So what do you guys think? Is there any truth to 'Blue Monday?' Do you think it trivialises mental health difficulties? Lastly, what would you suggest to someone feeling a bit 'down in the dumps'?
haven't had a bad Monday so far lol
holly6901
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think having blue Monday gives people a reason to not do anything
Deyesy
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
haven't had a bad Monday so far lol
I left my glasses in my car because I was wearing my prescription sunglasses and I've come into work with them on :mmm:
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I left my glasses in my car because I was wearing my prescription sunglasses and I've come into work with them on :mmm:
well things could have gotten worse
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I feel alright.

I don't think there is any truth in it. If someone is feeling down, I’d suggest they take some time off their activities and try to engage with the people around them. Go for a walk, say hello to your neighbour or even have a nice alone time on Netflix.
Deyesy
Rep:
?
well things could have gotten worse
If that's my bad luck for the day, I'll take it
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Just an average Monday tbh, if you don’t include the fact that I had to do 5 laps around the field when it was like 2 degrees, and the fact that I can literally hear the gossip about me in the corner rn
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just an average Monday tbh, if you don’t include the fact that I had to do 5 laps around the field when it was like 2 degrees, and the fact that I can literally hear the gossip about me in the corner rn
that sounds awful lol
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
that sounds awful lol
Ikr- well that’s the average Monday at an all girls school
dxvid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thankfully, all is well so far this 'Blue Monday'! Work has been going pretty smoothly, but more importantly, I'm high spirited. I wouldn't necessarily say that it is trivialised but rather highlighted that people around us may be a little bit down, which is something you can look out for in your co-workers/classmates/famlily, etc. I just used the reverse uno card on the charities, I guess.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like nonsense tbh
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Sounds like nonsense tbh
true every Monday is a "Blue Monday" lol
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is utter bull**** made up by advertises to sell you more **** that you don't need.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think there is some truth in it. Definitely get that vibe just talking to people in the office today. The energy is low, everyone's worrying how to make December's pay last until next week (we got paid a week early, so it had to last 5 weeks instead of 4), and it's freezing cold and a little dark outside in the middle of the day.

I also have mental health issues (depression and anxiety) and don't feel it trivialises it.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 4 weeks ago
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Today has been fine, I've been at work and got a lot done - pretty bored now tho with many more hours to fill!!
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thought Blue Monday was a New Order song :ninja:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
It is utter bull**** made up by advertises to sell you more **** that you don't need.
Agreed, tbh I think half of the January blues is caused by excess. People spend stupid amounts of money over Christmas to buy a sofa and what not to impress the relatives, then the realisation of paying it all off hits in January.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

It was made up by a travel company to sell more package holidays in a traditionally quiet sales month.
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
I thought Blue Monday was a New Order song :ninja:
great minds think alike, i came here to say that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (172)
66.67%
No (86)
33.33%

Watched Threads