Can I still do further maths for A level even if I’m not taking it for GCSE?

Watch
dia28273
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I really like maths but I keep consistently getting 7s however I am in the top set yet I’ve never been told about further maths until year 11 then I asked my teacher and apparently it was too late to do further maths, but I kinda wanna take it for a level.
johnnyliu8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by dia28273)
I really like maths but I keep consistently getting 7s however I am in the top set yet I’ve never been told about further maths until year 11 then I asked my teacher and apparently it was too late to do further maths, but I kinda wanna take it for a level.
I don't know. My friend only did GCSE math and GCSE additional math and he is doing both math and further math in A Levels.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes you can. The further pure maths GCSE only really covers content from the standard A-level maths course - it would help a little with that, but further maths would be all new anyway.
However people with 7s, 8s, 9s can and do struggle with A-level maths, so if you pick further maths make sure you know what you're getting into.
noisewithana
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It’s definitely not required if you want to take regular a level maths! I personally found it useful but it wasn’t a necessity and plenty of people I know never studied further maths. So long as you enjoy maths and are willing to work at it then that’s all you really need.
Further maths a level however, is a bit different. The issue is if you want to take further maths you will probably need the very top grades. Not that 7s are bad grades, they’re very good (well done!), it’s just that further maths is such a stretch that anyone I know that didn’t get 8s or 9s is really struggling (I’m year 13 and doing further maths at the moment) Admittedly it does depends on where you study and what grades they require to take further maths, if you genuinely think you’re hard working enough then you could probably manage it but it is a much bigger leap content wise from GCSE to A level than most people think it will be.
If you’re really set on doing further maths then I would recommend putting a lot of extra work into your maths gcse (text books, practice papers and websites for extra questions, I think MadasMaths could be quite useful for you) to prove to yourself that you’re capable of knuckling down and getting the highest marks, particularly as the basics of a level content are starts at 8/9 level gcse standard.
Good luck with gcses!
johnnyliu8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Yes you can. The further pure maths GCSE only really covers content from the standard A-level maths course - it would help a little with that, but further maths would be all new anyway.
However people with 7s, 8s, 9s can and do struggle with A-level maths, so if you pick further maths make sure you know what you're getting into.
Listen to this guy^
I got high A's in both GCSE math and GCSE Add math and A level math (first year is basically a summary but the second year is very tough) can be a struggle.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I never got the option to take further maths at gcse but am taking further maths at alevel - it’s not essential at all (it would probably help with your regular maths alevel though)
dia28273
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Thank you so much
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You can, of course, do f.maths at A-level with only the standard GCSE maths. I'd venture that is what most people do.

You can also take f.maths with only an A/7 at GCSE. It'd be tough as its a lot of high-level maths, and I doubt you'd be able to get As, but you never know. If you're ok with risking a B/C/D in the f.maths then I think its an option for sure.

Or if you improve your GCSE grade its fine of course.
Last edited by nexttime; 10 months ago
dia28273
Rep:
?
(Original post by noisewithana)
It’s definitely not required if you want to take regular a level maths! I personally found it useful but it wasn’t a necessity and plenty of people I know never studied further maths. So long as you enjoy maths and are willing to work at it then that’s all you really need.
Further maths a level however, is a bit different. The issue is if you want to take further maths you will probably need the very top grades. Not that 7s are bad grades, they’re very good (well done!), it’s just that further maths is such a stretch that anyone I know that didn’t get 8s or 9s is really struggling (I’m year 13 and doing further maths at the moment) Admittedly it does depends on where you study and what grades they require to take further maths, if you genuinely think you’re hard working enough then you could probably manage it but it is a much bigger leap content wise from GCSE to A level than most people think it will be.
If you’re really set on doing further maths then I would recommend putting a lot of extra work into your maths gcse (text books, practice papers and websites for extra questions, I think MadasMaths could be quite useful for you) to prove to yourself that you’re capable of knuckling down and getting the highest marks, particularly as the basics of a level content are starts at 8/9 level gcse standard.
Good luck with gcses!
Thank you! I really want to get a grade 9 in gcse (but I will be happy if I get an 8) but do you have any tips on how I can achieve that grade and what did you get in your maths gcse?
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’m doing it at a level, and didn’t do it at gcse.
GCSE further maths it mainly helpful at the start of AS, but as time goes on, you’re not really at a disadvantage. There isn’t a lot to catch up.
There are people in my further maths class that got a 7, but only because they had a bad day for the exam. If you’re working at a 7 now, you will probably get an 8 though.
noisewithana
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thank you! I really want to get a grade 9 in gcse (but I will be happy if I get an 8) but do you have any tips on how I can achieve that grade and what did you get in your maths gcse?
I’ve always found that practice papers are the best way to go, in order to understand the style of exam questions. I only started to get top grades once I started getting marks on the last few questions (aka the hardest ones on the papers!) so maybe try focus on the more unusual and difficult style.
Other than that, the only way to revise maths is just to do maths. Make sure you’ve got the basic concepts nailed, any formula you may need and try and ace your timings to give yourself the best possible chance to have a go at trickier questions. And always check your workings!!!! So many marks can be gathered by correcting your stupid mistakes that you wouldn’t have noticed if you didn’t double check! You’d be surprised the stupid things you can do in exams just because of the stress or misreading a question.
noisewithana
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Also, almost forgot to say, even if you don’t know the exact answer to a question make sure you write something down. You never what will get you an odd mark or sometimes once you write something your brain starts focusing better and you might suddenly work out the correct method!
dia28273
Rep:
?
(Original post by noisewithana)
Also, almost forgot to say, even if you don’t know the exact answer to a question make sure you write something down. You never what will get you an odd mark or sometimes once you write something your brain starts focusing better and you might suddenly work out the correct method!
Thank you for the tips! I’ll definitely try using them
gingeee123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Got a 9 last year. Make sure u just read ur notes do every past paper and reload at all the questions you found difficult so you know the style
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed