The Student Room Group

Mispronouncing names: A “racist practice”.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/a-rose-by-any-other-name-would-not-be-me

This is pretty insane.

I can accept that if a person has repeatedly told you how to pronounce their name and you either genuinely still can’t, or are doing it on purpose, is a bit rude, but to call it a ‘racist practice’ is frankly stupid.

I’m white, and my family name is rather hard to pronounce, especially by those who aren’t native British speakers. Am I offended? No, I tend to laugh it off and get on with my life.

Also, names like Schwarzenegger which would seem hard to pronounce, had it not been the name of a really famous actor.

Then there’s Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas...

Try and pronounce that and link me to a voice recorder.

Some ****ing people.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

"Getting someone's name right is a simple sign of respect" and that's why you politely correct someone who genuinely doesn't know how to pronounce your name and then move on from it because next time they'll probably get it right
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
"Getting someone's name right is a simple sign of respect" and that's why you politely correct someone who genuinely doesn't know how to pronounce your name and then move on from it because next time they'll probably get it right

That’s what I’m saying...

“You can’t pronounce my name, you must hate people of colour and want them all to die, you ****ing racist pig”

0BCFEE64-ABEE-4637-BEEC-0C1A94698372.png
Absolutely idiotic.
My first name gets accidentally mispronounced and misspelt all the time- by people of all ethnicities and nationalities.
Usually no race hate involved.

Same happens to friends with traditional Irish, Scottish, Spanish, Latin, Russian, Norwegian, Chinese and Vietnamese names.
Princess Eugenie and former Lib Dem leader Menzies Campbell are so used to having their first names mispronounced that they introduce themselves and spend quite a bit of time patiently teaching people how to say their preferred pronunciation.
I think that there are some occasions where it is deliberate and is racist. Not the examples quoted above though.
my name gets mispronounced so many times, I don't know how because it's not hard, at all. like it makes me wonder if they're dyslexic or something like can't you read??

unless they're mispronouncing on purpose, you shouldn't get annoyed at someone if they say you're name wrong, even if it's been years, they can't help it.
nobody can actually pronounce my surname properly, I don't expect anyone except German speakers and Scandinavians to be able to pronounce it.
nobody can correctly spell my first name, not even my friends lmao.

do I take offence? nope, nada, never came to mind.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Professional victims.
Original post by londonmyst
Absolutely idiotic.
My first name gets accidentally mispronounced and misspelt all the time- by people of all ethnicities and nationalities.
Usually no race hate involved.

Same happens to friends with traditional Irish, Scottish, Spanish, Latin, Russian, Norwegian, Chinese and Vietnamese names.
Princess Eugenie and former Lib Dem leader Menzies Campbell are so used to having their first names mispronounced that they introduce themselves and spend quite a bit of time patiently teaching people how to say their preferred pronunciation.

And Finnish names.

I dare anyone who thinks mispronouncing names is only done by racists to pronounce Yrjö Ahmavaara (Finnish physicist), Juusi Halla-aho (leader of the Perussuomalaiset) or Matti Järvinen (central striker for KalPa in the Jääkiekkon SM-Liiga) before they say anything more on the subject.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Occitanie
https://www.kuow.org/stories/a-rose-by-any-other-name-would-not-be-me

This is pretty insane.

I can accept that if a person has repeatedly told you how to pronounce their name and you either genuinely still can’t, or are doing it on purpose, is a bit rude, but to call it a ‘racist practice’ is frankly stupid.

I’m white, and my family name is rather hard to pronounce, especially by those who aren’t native British speakers. Am I offended? No, I tend to laugh it off and get on with my life.

Also, names like Schwarzenegger which would seem hard to pronounce, had it not been the name of a really famous actor.

Then there’s Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas...

Try and pronounce that and link me to a voice recorder.

Some ****ing people.

It is annoying when people dont get it right for me, but I respect people who try and ask me if it was right or ask me before pronouncing but I cant call it a racist practice when I cant even pronounce other cultural names right in the first go
First world problems, literally.
It depends on the motivation of the person saying it.
Mispronunciation is just that.
Deliberate is just ignorance and can be racially motivated.
If we were to go to Asia and asked them to pronounce Western names, I’m sure many would certainly struggle...

I couldn’t call them racist, it just comes as a result of not knowing the language of the name’s origin.

Using that logic, asking small children who are British to pronounce Western names when they’re new to speaking English and them mispronouncing would = racist children 😂

Idiots trying to make themselves the #Victim it seems.
Reply 13
Yes, anyone who mispronounces Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch clearly hates all Welsh people.
Reply 14
Original post by The Mogg
Yes, anyone who mispronounces Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch clearly hates all Welsh people.

Das racis. The most ancient peoples of these great isles deserve more respect.
No it’s not. I do it all the time. I just can’t speak.
My name was mispronounced quite a lot when I was abroad and it definitely wasn’t a sign of racism. It would be different if someone did it repeatedly or in a mocking way, but even then it wouldn’t necessarily indicate racism.
Racism has become punishable by law. Racists are cowards. They do not have the courage to be overt in their racism for fear of the serious consequences. So they resort to covert and psychological means of abuse, that are often difficult to prove conclusively. One way in which they do this is by intentionally mispronouncing names. I have seen racist lecturers resort to this tactic often at universities here in the UK. A student acquaintance of mine suffers this type of abuse at one university at the hands of one specific lecturer who turned his name into a derogatory, racial slur.

Here's an example of a racist "comedian" who exploited this tactic and the growing racism in the US after Sept. 11th to make his living.

(edited 4 years ago)
not tryna flex but I can actually say Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas. It takes practice.
Original post by The Mogg

Popty ping, Mr Rees-Mogg, popty ping.
(wait - isn't Rees/Rhys a Welsh name?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending