Not sure if I understand the immune tesponse

Watch this thread
username3046192
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
1) I know that that T memory cells remain in circulation. However, am I right in saying that once exposed to the same antigen the T memory cells develop into T helper and cytotoxic T cells?

2) Why are B cells needed? Why can’t the pathogens be destroyed through the cellular response in the first place?
username5064508
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I'll do my best to answer but I'll mainly be referring to my textbooks which may contradict what you've said so take my answer with a pinch of salt...

From what I understand, when memory cells recognise an antigen they stimulate the rapid production and secretion of antibodies by the B-plasma cells. These B-plasma cells are produced as B cells rapidly mutliply by mitosis and differentiate into plasma cells in a process called clonal selection. Therefore while I'm not sure how memory cells affect T cell production, they certainly lead to the production of B cells.

To this end, B cells are needed because B-plasma cells can secrete large amounts of antibodies. By the time that the T-helper and cytotoxic cells are doing their jobs responding to the infection, the pathogen may have multiplied to a huge population. The T-Cytotoxic cells cannot kill the pathogens as fast as they are replicating so B cells secrete antibodies to rapidly kill large quantities of pathogens to end the infection.
Hope this helped!
username3046192
Rep:
(Original post by HRobson_BMC)
I'll do my best to answer but I'll mainly be referring to my textbooks which may contradict what you've said so take my answer with a pinch of salt...

From what I understand, when memory cells recognise an antigen they stimulate the rapid production and secretion of antibodies by the B-plasma cells. These B-plasma cells are produced as B cells rapidly mutliply by mitosis and differentiate into plasma cells in a process called clonal selection. Therefore while I'm not sure how memory cells affect T cell production, they certainly lead to the production of B cells.

To this end, B cells are needed because B-plasma cells can secrete large amounts of antibodies. By the time that the T-helper and cytotoxic cells are doing their jobs responding to the infection, the pathogen may have multiplied to a huge population. The T-Cytotoxic cells cannot kill the pathogens as fast as they are replicating so B cells secrete antibodies to rapidly kill large quantities of pathogens to end the infection.
Hope this helped!
Thanks so much - rly appreciate the help! I’ll ask my teacher when I get back to school about the first question, but you’ve really cleared up the second question.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tomchr)
1) I know that that T memory cells remain in circulation. However, am I right in saying that once exposed to the same antigen the T memory cells develop into T helper and cytotoxic T cells?
Kind of. They rapidly expand in number, whatever they are. If they are helper cells they stimulate the immune response, help cytotoxic cells and B cells develop. If they are cytotoxic they will expand and try to fight the antigen, with help from other cells.

2) Why are B cells needed? Why can’t the pathogens be destroyed through the cellular response in the first place?
The simple answer is: T cells alone might not be enough. Antibodies help. A lot.
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tomchr)

Also, B cells and T cells target pathogens in different locations. B cells (or more precisely, antibodies) produce antibody which can bind to free antigens/pathogens in the circulation. Cytotoxic T cells, on the other hand, do not kill free pathogens, they only kill intracellular pathogens - that is, pathogens that have invaded other cells.
username3046192
Rep:
(Original post by Jpw1097)
Also, B cells and T cells target pathogens in different locations. B cells (or more precisely, antibodies) produce antibody which can bind to free antigens/pathogens in the circulation. Cytotoxic T cells, on the other hand, do not kill free pathogens, they only kill intracellular pathogens - that is, pathogens that have invaded other cells.
Thank you !!
username3046192
Rep:
T
(Original post by nexttime)
The simple answer is: T cells alone might not be enough. Antibodies help. A lot.
Thanks for the help
tocka90
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQX...AnOAPVBv-QRNTQ check this in section 2. Immunity for aqa a level biology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
29.2%
Take a gap year (21)
15.33%
Resit my exams (37)
27.01%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.14%
I don't know yet (15)
10.95%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.38%

Watched Threads