John Bercow snubbed in New Years Honours Watch

Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Ex speaker John Bercow is snubbed for his peerage, apparantly first time it has happened in 230 years! :eek:
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Ex speaker John Bercow is snubbed for his peerage, apparantly first time it has happened in 230 years! :eek:
The battle continues. Many people in the Tory Party and Labour dislike Bercow. He was biased and destructive. I think he felt invincible.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, he seemed to enjoy ploughing his own furrow, so I imagine he'll be pleased the honours people aren't getting too caught up in the whole 'this is how we normally do things' stuff...
JSFarrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
The battle continues. Many people in the Tory Party and Labour dislike Bercow. He was biased and destructive. I think he felt invincible.
I have to agree. Whether you like him or hate him, I don't think it's easy to deny that he was one of the most biased speakers of the last century and made it difficult for Her Majesty's government to govern as it saw fit wherever possible. I think he'll be given a peerage eventually (probably after Dominic Cummings is out of the way!) but this silent snubbing of Bercow is quite amusing to watch!!
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JSFarrow)
I have to agree. Whether you like him or hate him, I don't think it's easy to deny that he was one of the most biased speakers of the last century and made it difficult for Her Majesty's government to govern as it saw fit wherever possible. I think he'll be given a peerage eventually (probably after Dominic Cummings is out of the way!) but this silent snubbing of Bercow is quite amusing to watch!!
True. It is not good to break with precedent in such a manner. If Cummings get flushed out, Boris Johnson may be exposed to manipulation.h
Last edited by Wired_1800; 2 weeks ago
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No peerages were awarded in the New Years Honours List and none have been for several years now.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's the New Years Honours list, peerages don't get awarded. On top of that the list will have been drawn up many months ago, likely before he even announced he would be standing down. For reference the dissolution honours for the 2015 election they were not issued until the end of August, nearly 4 months after the election actually happened, and dissolution honours lists are short with a hundred or so names, not over 1000. On top of that the Peerages were announced later.

Resignations honours for May took two months

You also have that neither NiMo, nor Goldsmith received their peerages
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 2 weeks ago
JSFarrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
No peerages were awarded in the New Years Honours List and none have been for several years now.
That’s true but both Betty Boothroyd and Michael Martin assumed their offices in the House of Lords within two months of their terms as Speaker ending.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That’s true but both Betty Boothroyd and Michael Martin assumed their offices in the House of Lords within two months of their terms as Speaker ending.
There will be a dissolution honours list shortly and he either will or won’t be on that list.

This Government now has a track record of unattributable briefings threatening this, that and the other, that then isn’t reflected in the public announcements.

I think Bercow will get his peerage. He might not have done if May was still PM.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is not as bigger story as some are trying to spin it to be. Unfortunately the man brought shame on the chair, revelled in his self importance, favoured the same people in every debate and in general biased, destructive and he was invincible.

The only reason he quit was he knew his days was numbered, either by the Tories contesting his seat or MPs voting him out the chair. He wants to go down as a great speaker, the champion of the backbenches (that's a joke) he didn't want to be remembered first speaker to be sacked by the electorate!

However dispite all this, unfortunately he will still get his peerage. It's going to be about the office not the man, john bercow will always be remembered but his place in the history books, will not read the way he wanted it too.
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Who cares. The entire peerage system is a joke.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by adam271)
Who cares. The entire peerage system is a joke.
Why?
SnowMiku
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I hope he does get said peerage, also long as he hasn't done anything illegal which I don't think he has.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Knight of the Realm, Sir Iain Duncan Smith for services to the Grim Reaper

barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Were it an act in isolation, this would merely be amusing perhaps. It is not however likely to be. The judiciary will be 'reformed' so that Mr Johnson is not prevented from repeating the disgraceful attempt at prorogation. The BBC who are one of the few non-right wing media organisations will be financially crippled under the guise of decriminalisation of non-payment of the licence fee. To give two examples.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Were it an act in isolation, this would merely be amusing perhaps. It is not however likely to be. The judiciary will be 'reformed' so that Mr Johnson is not prevented from repeating the disgraceful attempt at prorogation. The BBC who are one of the few non-right wing media organisations will be financially crippled under the guise of decriminalisation of non-payment of the licence fee. To give two examples.
Do you agree with the license fee?
And do you feel that it should be a criminal offence to not pay for a service which you are forced to do so whether you use it or not?
The BBC should just show some adverts like everyone else.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
and made it difficult for Her Majesty's government to govern
Her Majesty's Government didnt have a working majority in the House. When you're 20 seats below the waterline you cant govern unless you do stuff the opposition want.

The Speaker works on behalf of Parliament, not HMG.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why?
Because the vast amount of peers are former MPs or people like lyod Webber. (Think he may have quit it now)

It's mainly a tool for Westminster to look after their own.
I wonder if there are statistics that show what percentage of peers are former MPs compared to say doctors or other professions.

Its just par for the course, if your in parliament long enough you get a peerage.
Last edited by adam271; 2 weeks ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why?
Because it's mostly people who were just doing their jobs. But with a dose of political bias. Like this thread is about an exception where someone did do their job, but shockingly didnt get a gong because the powers what be didnt like them.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Because it's mostly people who were just doing their jobs. But with a dose of political bias. Like this thread is about an exception where someone did do their job, but shockingly didnt get a gong because the powers what be didnt like them.
Bercow did not really do his job though. He pretended to be neutral but constantly impeded the Government. Whenever the Government made progress, he would bring up a 300 or 400 year old rule that allowed him to frustrate the process. He was also accused of harassment, bullying and belittling of female MPs.

It was clear that he was biased when he retired and subsequently came out against the Government and Brexit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
14.48%
1 (70)
13.33%
2 (66)
12.57%
20.38%
20.57%
5 (98)
18.67%

Watched Threads