Maintanance loan debts for nurse and AHP students

Watch
Arzoo89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The government has fortunately decided to reinstate maintanance Grants or bursaries for nurses, midwives and certain allied health profession students.

However students that started in 2017 will have received nothing at all during their time at university and hence be left with a huge maintanance loan debt.

I am a 3rd year occupational therapy student. I am 30 years old and left a full-time job to go back to university. Due to my financial circumstances I still had to work part time during term time and full time in the summer holidays. This affected my mental health, physical and and grades as I burnt myself out.

I am truly happy for future healthcare students but feel that students like myself from 2017, 2018 and 2019 have missed out and treated unfairly.

I have therefore started a petition to the parliament to scrap our student debts.

Please sign and share if you agree that our debts should be waived off.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...rofile_started
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arzoo89)
The government has fortunately decided to reinstate maintanance Grants or bursaries for nurses, midwives and certain allied health profession students.

However students that started in 2017 will have received nothing at all during their time at university and hence be left with a huge maintanance loan debt.

I am a 3rd year occupational therapy student. I am 30 years old and left a full-time job to go back to university. Due to my financial circumstances I still had to work part time during term time and full time in the summer holidays. This affected my mental health, physical and and grades as I burnt myself out.

I am truly happy for future healthcare students but feel that students like myself from 2017, 2018 and 2019 have missed out and treated unfairly.

I have therefore started a petition to the parliament to scrap our student debts.

Please sign and share if you agree that our debts should be waived off.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...rofile_started
Its student debt , which isnt like real debt and in most circumstances you will never pay it all off before it is written off. Highly doubt he will change as its political and past students would only cost him more money.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I doubt it will make any difference at all to the loan repayments newer students will actually make. it does give them more money to support themselves which seems valid to me given the hours nursing and some other students have to follow.
Arzoo89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I doubt it will make any difference at all to the loan repayments newer students will actually make. it does give them more money to support themselves which seems valid to me given the hours nursing and some other students have to follow.
The point of the petition is to highlight the fact that students from 2017-2019 received no financial help What so ever! Which is completely unfair to us as we worked just as hard or even harder and have found ourselves in this funding vacuum when students before and after us are receiving help. I had to keep working stupid hours in my first year to ensure I can cover basic costs, which burnt me out be the second year.
Whether the will notice the loan coming out if their wages is irrelevant. This is a matter of fairness.

I have a feeling that the government will not pay thousands of students of students like myself a lump sum of money to compensate us for the missed bursaries, so the least they can do is cancel the maintanance loan debts at least.
As students like myself, who have a mortgage to pay would probably not resort to taking out one loan to pay off another if we had received a grant. Just doesn't make sense at all.

I have got a previous student loan from a psychology degree that I did, and trust me YOU DO notice it the repayments coming out. Especially when you see your P60 at the end of the year and think that you could have possibly paid a few bills off with that amount of money.

Please understand that for some people those hundreds of pounds that are accumulated paying off student debt in one year can make a significant difference to some people's financial situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (406)
56.31%
I don't have everything I need (315)
43.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed