Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I’m turning 18 next month and I’m planning to get a tattoo (if my mum lets me). I’m going to study Law in uni and hopefully become a lawyer someday (or a judge if things go as planned). I’m just worried that having a tattoo will have some setbacks in the future. Does having a tattoo lower the chances of being taken seriously in that career field? Is it going to cause me trouble in the future when I try to find a job?
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If a tattoo isn't visible when clothed it won't cause any problems. I've a dozen and can cover them all.
Last edited by 1582; 1 year ago
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends where you want to get it. As long as it could be covered by a suit or whatever lawyers wear, you'll be fine, no one would even need to know.
Also, you'll legally be an adult, so she can't do anything to stop you (unless she'd be paying for it).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
If a tattoo isn't visible when clothed it won't cause any problems. I've a dozen and can cover them all.
Thank you!
β0b
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! I’m turning 18 next month and I’m planning to get a tattoo (if my mum lets me). I’m going to study Law in uni and hopefully become a lawyer someday (or a judge if things go as planned). I’m just worried that having a tattoo will have some setbacks in the future. Does having a tattoo lower the chances of being taken seriously in that career field? Is it going to cause me trouble in the future when I try to find a job?
No, having a tattoo means nothing. But, them KNOWING of the tattoo can screw you over. this is why you get it in a discrete place like on the legs or torso. However, it's best you don't look like a fat biker in your old age so nowhere too flabby. in other words, you are limited to your collar, shoulders, and back. my favourite idea (which would be bonkers expensive but still) is a steampunk mechanical plating type stuff on the shoulder. but yeah. you do you, pick spots wisely to look good and still have an income, and most of all, don't die. that last one is just a given.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Permanent tattoos in visible places are best avoided.
They can tarnish first impressions in a professional environment, enthusiasm can fade after 15 years or tattoos may no longer reflect personality/relationship and seem out of place.

Avoiding getting permanent visible tattoos is particularly relevant in fields like law, economics and finance.
The culture tends to be very competitive, demanding and appearance matters a lot.
A job applicant can lose out based on an interviewers own first impressions or a split second decision about what clients/other partners will make of applicants lifestyle choices that are not directly related to ability to do the job.
Things like tattoos, piercings, accent, hair style, address and type of personal transport.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Permanent tattoos in visible places are best avoided.
They can tarnish first impressions in a professional environment, enthusiasm can fade after 15 years or tattoos may no longer reflect personality/relationship and seem out of place.

Avoiding getting permanent visible tattoos is particularly relevant in fields like law, economics and finance.
The culture tends to be very competitive, demanding and appearance matters a lot.
A job applicant can lose out based on an interviewers own first impressions or a split second decision about what clients/other partners will make of applicants lifestyle choices that are not directly related to ability to do the job.
Things like tattoos, piercings, accent, hair style, address and type of personal transport.
PRSOM

This is 100% correct BUT note that attitudes are changing extremely fast to tattoos that I suspect in 15 years time their status in the workplace as tramp-stamps will be almost completely obliterated. we will see in 15 years!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (300)
84.27%
No (56)
15.73%

Watched Threads