How much does it cost to live in Imperial/King's? Watch

Mabey
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone who goes to Imperial or King's, how expensive is it to live in London? I don't want to apply for these unis if it turns out that I can't actually afford to go!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on your accommodation! I'm in Woodward (one of Imperial's halls) and there are lots of cheap supermarkets nearby which kind of offsets the travel costs - I use a monthly travelcard with an 18+ student Oyster card for £94 (cheaper than PAYG). However in the halls closest to the uni in South Kensington, for one thing they're nearly double the price (on average roughly £200 a week) so it's quite possible, and also there aren't as many supermarkets nearby.

Finances generally weren't a big issue for me and I had a nice amount of maintenance loan left over at the end of term. Definitely learn to cook for yourself, it's best to cook large quantities of something and freeze the leftovers - a) it's cheaper and b) when you're hungry and can't be bothered to cook you'll thank yourself.
...however I am lucky enough that my parents are paying for my accommodation and that I already lived in London.

Also good luck buying a pint for less than £5. That's the state of things.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's quite expensive unless you live with other people which is what most people on a budget do. Eating out, drinks, etc- that kind of entertainment is quite expensive. Public transport isn't cheap either. My biggest expenses were rent (I lived alone tho) and eating out. I lived in South London (Charlton) and commuted to uni via train/light rail/underground.
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mabey)
Anyone who goes to Imperial or King's, how expensive is it to live in London? I don't want to apply for these unis if it turns out that I can't actually afford to go!
Hi Mabey,

I'm Maya and I'm a current 2nd year at Imperial. It's true that living costs are generally more expensive in London compared to other unis in the UK.

Just wanted to mention that if you're a Home student applying for undergrad courses, Imperial does offer a bursary to students, which you can read about here https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...erial-bursary/.

If you're eligible and worried about not being able to afford London living costs, the bursary does really help with London living costs. I was able to use my bursary to pay towards some of my accommodation last year (I was in Wilson, the halls in Paddington). Stuff like meal-prepping and learning how to budget effectively are also really useful skills when it comes to student life in London.

Regarding Kings, it's worth researching to see if they have any financial support that you would be eligible for.

If you have any other questions about studying in London/at Imperial, feel free to ask me!

Maya
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Jun '20
    Thu, 25 Jun '20
    Sat, 19 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?