The Student Room Group

How to become a counsellor?

I wish to become an accredited councillor, however I’m unsure as to how one can specifically become one. Currently, I’m studying an access to HE: humanities and social sciences course at college. I’ve done the UCAS applications and have had 4/5 offers at conditionals so far (1 pending - BSc Psychology at Swansea university).

Eventually I’d like to become a self employed councillor working at home, but start off being employed to gain sufficient experience and funding to set my goals.

My first choice is Swansea uni studying psychology, and back up plan if anything goes wrong is psychology and counselling at University of Wales trinity Saint David at Carmarthen. Or possibly criminology and psychology at Swansea uni.

What I know of is that to become a counsellor you’d preferably need to become accredited by BACP. Or do several training courses provided by colleges and university.

If I were to study BSc Psychology at Swansea uni, would I need additional training to become qualified as a counsellor? As this would be my preferred course choice due to better facilities and ratings than UWTSD.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by ethand08
I wish to become an accredited councillor, however I’m unsure as to how one can specifically become one. Currently, I’m studying an access to HE: humanities and social sciences course at college. I’ve done the UCAS applications and have had 4/5 offers at conditionals so far (1 pending - BSc Psychology at Swansea university).

Eventually I’d like to become a self employed councillor working at home, but start off being employed to gain sufficient experience and funding to set my goals.

My first choice is Swansea uni studying psychology, and back up plan if anything goes wrong is psychology and counselling at University of Wales trinity Saint David at Carmarthen. Or possibly criminology and psychology at Swansea uni.

What I know of is that to become a counsellor you’d preferably need to become accredited by BACP. Or do several training courses provided by colleges and university.

If I were to study BSc Psychology at Swansea uni, would I need additional training to become qualified as a counsellor? As this would be my preferred course choice due to better facilities and ratings than UWTSD.

Thank you.

Hi,

So I’m in Scotland not sure if it’s the same where you are but ...
Over here you do not need an undergrad degree in psychology unless you want to go on to study your doctorate in counselling psychology?
If you wish to become a counsellor you usually need a COSCA accredited counselling certificate (this is a Scottish warding body but I imagine there is an equivalent for England) and then a post grad certificate in your chosen specialty, for example CBT, person centred, EMDR, Schema and so on... I have an undergrad in psychology and I am currently doing the Pgdip in CBT with this I will be able to work as a qualified CBT therapist or I could go for accreditation with the BABCP and go down the psychotherapy rout.
There are so many options open to you but you don’t necessarily have to spend four years doing a rather demanding undergrad if you don’t fancy going down the psychologist rout. If you get me?
Reply 2
Original post by ethand08

Thank you.

Hi,

Over here you do not need an undergrad degree in psychology unless you want to go on to study your doctorate in counselling psychology?
If you wish to become a counsellor you usually need a COSCA accredited counselling certificate (this is a Scottish warding body but I imagine there is an equivalent for England) and then a post grad certificate in your chosen specialty, for example CBT, person centred, EMDR, Schema and so on... I have an undergrad in psychology and I am currently doing the Pgdip in CBT with this I will be able to work as a qualified CBT therapist or I could go for accreditation with the BABCP and go down the psychotherapy rout.
There are so many options open to you but you don’t necessarily have to spend four years doing a rather demanding undergrad if you don’t fancy going down the psychologist rout. If you get me?

Check this out ... https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/
Hello :smile: Have you tried contacting student services within the Universities? They may have some more information in regards to this! Good luck with your applications.
Hello I have not tried, however there is an open day this month so will ask admissions then. Thank you for your support :smile:.
Hi. I was hoping for advice on becoming a high intensity therapist / cbt therapist. I've done quite abit of research but really struggling to find any direct answers. My question is once qualified what are the prospects of getting a job as a high intensity therapist? I'm scared of committing only to find that I struggle in finding a job. Thanks
Original post by NrossEH
Hi,

Original post by NrossEH
Hi,

Check this out ... https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/

Hi. I was hoping for advice on becoming a high intensity therapist / cbt therapist. I've done quite abit of research but really struggling to find any direct answers. My question is once qualified what are the prospects of getting a job as a high intensity therapist? I'm scared of committing only to find that I struggle in finding a job. Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Natashacroft158

I think it really depends on what and where you study and if your course is eligible for accreditation from an awarding body.
I’m currently doing my post grad in CBT and the career prospects are varied. You could get a job as a CBT therapist within third sector organisations. The NHS who are also in the prison services tend to want you to have studied at a BABCP accredited course and have a good amount of experience post qualifying. You could also go for accreditation as a psychotherapist once completing the pgdip if you wanted which would broaden your opportunities. But most therapists tend to be self employed and have more than one job. Ie therapist, tutor, supervisor, or train in more than one approach to offer to a wider community. You have to get clinical practice hours in order to pass the diploma and the placement may be willing to keep you on afterwards to rack up more hours. Some places allow room hire who already have well established footfall so this is another option. It’s certainly worth thinking about though as there’s more scope for self employment rather than as an employee. Or at least that’s what I’ve observed and been advised by lecturers.
Thank you for your reply. Definitely given me something to think about :smile:
Reply 9
No worries, I hope you get where you want to go. Best of luck 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending