The Student Room Group

Do you think soaps like Eastenders and Coronation Street will still be on in 50 years

Pretty sure Coronation street is like 35 years old and Eastenders around 30.. these shows are as British as it gets and I am wondering if they will actually ever be taken off air. I was thinking that maybe when there are only millennials left and all the 90s babies are dead they will be cancelled due to low viewings.
Reply 1
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Pretty sure Coronation street is like 35 years old and Eastenders around 30.. these shows are as British as it gets and I am wondering if they will actually ever be taken off air. I was thinking that maybe when there are only millennials left and all the 90s babies are dead they will be cancelled due to low viewings.

Coronation street is way older than 35 years old, and eastenders is around 34

No I don't think they'll still be on in 50 yrs. I doubt viewing figures are rising for these shows. They'll most likely slowly be falling.

Until eventually producers decided to pack it all in...
Reply 2
Original post by ANM775
Coronation street is way older than 35 years old, and eastenders is around 34

No I don't think they'll still be on in 50 yrs. I doubt viewing figures are rising for these shows. They'll most likely slowly be falling.

Until eventually producers decided to pack it all in...

i'm right [scroll down somewhat to see viewing figures]

https://eastenders.fandom.com/wiki/Viewing_Figures
Coronation street started in the 60s it's not 30 years old
Coronation Street possibly - my Mum is a huge fan and would probably be very disappointed if it got cancelled :rolleyes:
I hope so.
The sooner they come off air the better.
Along with love island, towie, made in chelsea and that one with katie price.
The thought of them continuing for decades make me want to hibernate somewhere with no electricity or posters advertising reality tv. :colonhash:
Original post by londonmyst
I hope so.
The sooner they come off air the better.
Along with love island, towie, made in chelsea and that one with katie price.
The thought of them continuing for decades make me want to hibernate somewhere with no electricity or posters advertising reality tv. :colonhash:

Oh look a hipster never met one before you are that 1 special person RMFE
(edited 4 years ago)
Corrie is a lot older than 30 years. The first episode aired at the back end of 1960 so we're talking nearly 60 years at this point.

I think there's potential for them to go on, they'll just adapt with the times. There's no doubt that viewing figures have slowly declined for both over the years, but it may well be slow enough to hold on for 50 years.

Eastenders hasn't usually done as well as corrie and I think viewing figures are about half compared to it atm. Eastenders might not make it, but Corrie might.
Yes
I don’t know anyone below my grandmothers age who regularly watches those sort of soaps.

The younger generations prefer season based dramas on streaming services eg.Downton Abbey, You, 13 Reasons Why, End of the ****ing World.
On a personal note.
I do hope not.
the East End of Old London Town will be under water in 50 years time.... maybe they will call the show West Enders ?

:dontknow:
Yes I hope so, corrie has been on 50 years so there's potential it can continue.
I hope not
They'll always be keeping up with the times, so it's inevitable that they'll carry on. However, if people boycott watching the show or the viewer ratings go down severely then perhaps it might face the axe. The way I see it, soaps like EE have been going on for years because of how people one way or another are compelled to watch it, now it's their 35th anniversary and the fact that it's still on TV demonstrates how it has still remained increasingly relevant for all these years.
are they sure its 35 yr old eastenders, i live in. newzealand in the 1976 and i was watching it on their tv then
be pretty amazing to see if they can keep it up for another 50 years. especially Eastenders which is a complete borefest now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending