Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Everything they sell is at a rip off price. Take a camera for example. It retails at £150.00 at Argos. They decide to put in on 'sale' so it becomes £99.99.
    However, look on Amazon for the same camera, and it's £74.99 without any discount.

This is just one of many examples. So next time you shop at Argos, DONT! Just shop around and online.

ReputationRep:
    I like Argos so much to offer under one roof.

ReputationRep:
    Economics.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, their phones are like still £100 when you can get them for £40 in carphonewarehouse/o2 etc =(
    it's the electricals that annoy me, you can get a nice rug cheaper than most places =)

ReputationRep:
    I must agree in a way, however that's the difference between buying them instore or ordering and waiting a couple of days for the product. I can understand when someone says oh yea but its just a couple of days. thats fair enough but its still waiting isnt it?

For me, the biggest rip off I ever came across was last week when I was looking at a router on pcworld and it was 34.99 online and it wasnt available for delivery but I could reserve and pick it up instore. And the price instore was 49.99. obviously I paid 34.99 because I reserved but i thought about it and realised about the number of people that don't check online first before buying on pcworld (example).

ReputationRep:
    Argos is for plebs

ReputationRep:
    you cant compare a shop to an online store you fool :rolleyes:

Go compare argos to pcworld currys dixons etc ( if camera)

Dont cross compare......ofcourse argos will be more expensive.

So aka

ReputationRep:
    argos is a ****hole having worked there i can say that :p:
    also you wouldn't believe how much of the stuff gets dropped and chucked around :rofl:

i refuse to shop there now

ReputationRep:
    erm, yes i can...at least in this case anyway. So you're saying...that...they should charge..double the price when not on sale instore compared to...online?!??

Youre the real fool. Enjoy getting ripped off!

And maybe someone should add another to your warning level...

i reply to bavarian guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbington)
    erm, yes i can...at least in this case anyway. So you're saying...that...they should charge..double the price when not on sale instore compared to...online?!??

Youre the real fool. Enjoy getting ripped off!

And maybe someone should add another to your warning level...

i reply to bavarian guy.
    Jesus *facepalm*

I forgot stores must make a loss whether they like it or not!

I dont agree with the high price hence i dont shop their....but they do have overheads to pay whereas an online store would have a fraction of this.....

I think i am pointing out the fool in you for not understanding very very very simple business!

Just think logically for a change

This is your logic....

I buy a choclate bar from a supplier for 10p , i pay overheads in ratio is 20p and i want a profit of 10p, so i sell the chocolate bar for 40p....

Online you can buy this bar for 25p....so you are saying i should charge the same and make a 5p loss on each bar.

WELL DONE !

ReputationRep:
    sorry but since when were argos making a loss?

and how on earth would argos make a loss in lowering the prices by making the 'sale' price the normal price? They get their stuff in batch and cheaper. They make a lot of profit anyway. Yes, its all about economics, and Im not saying they should lower their prices. But if you actually read my thread and stop being such an arrogant weed, you might realise that I am talking about the fact that people who shop for electronics at Argos are...indeed...getting..ripped off!!!

Well done for not understanding my thread and making a complete fool out of yourself.

again in response to bavarian's 2 well thought out replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbington)
    sorry but since when were argos making a loss?

and how on earth would argos make a loss in lowering the prices by making the 'sale' price the normal price? They get their stuff in batch and cheaper. They make a lot of profit anyway. Yes, its all about economics, and Im not saying they should lower their prices. But if you actually read my thread and stop being such an arrogant weed, you might realise that I am talking about the fact that people who shop for electronics at Argos are...indeed...getting..ripped off!!!

Well done for not understanding my thread and making a complete fool out of yourself.

again in response to bavarian's 2 well thought out replies!
    Never said argos were making a loss!

Clearly you know the ins and outs of argos, and how they operate their marketing mix so you just cant argue with that

Why do you care that they are getting ripped of, go and protest outside their store if you're that bothered.

Your thread by the way is highly related to why are argos prices so high

Oh and personal insults.....pathetic

ReputationRep:
    Calm down guys!

Argos is pretty good IMO, they have everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbilling)
    Economics.
    This is the best post ever

ReputationRep:
    I like it because they sell pretty much everything.

ReputationRep:
    And also unlike online stores places like Argos also have to pay for rent/maintenance on their retail stores and staff, whereas online stores only have to pay for distribution warehouses and the like - much lower overheads.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.