What was your standard of living growing up?

Watch
FemaleinDress
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i grew up in a house which was neither rich or poor , my parents had problems but not massive problems , just the normal ones..
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I was young not many people I knew had a high standard of living. Now I know some people have much more, but because there were relatively few lifestyle magazines, or instagram, we were not encouraged to aim for a certain standard, nor was I encouraged like young people today, to envy more affluent people.

For instance I would never be aware of brands like jimmy Choo or prada. Just give me a book and I was happy.

People want too much nowadays and it’s a shame.
rcmotorboy
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
Middle class family? I think everyone here has the same experience. I can't imagine a lower class family asking this because they may not have a computer or a upper class family or even the royals posting here because they maybe have a more royal-like forums to post in. Posh posh forum.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Middle class but taught the value of money from a very young age.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wasn't rich but I sure felt rich😂😂
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Umm, I'm not sure what to say, lol. Definitely not middle class.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dunno??
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was nearly 15 when we could first afford to go to Europe on holiday on a plane.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
I was nearly 15 when we could first afford to go to Europe on holiday on a plane.
Same, well I still haven't been
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Odd question

(Original post by rcmotorboy)
Middle class family? I think everyone here has the same experience. I can't imagine a lower class family asking this because they may not have a computer or a upper class family or even the royals posting here because they maybe have a more royal-like forums to post in. Posh posh forum.
Most people have computers nowadays, even if you come from a low income family there are still computers in schools.
Please show me an example of these royal forums I am most intrigued :toofunny:
meddad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FemaleinDress)
i grew up in a house which was neither rich or poor , my parents had problems but not massive problems , just the normal ones..
It was a very long time ago. Us kids had cooked school lunches and our evening meals were usually jam on toast. There was no family car, no house phone (mobiles didn't exist), and we rented our TV paying for it by putting coins in the meter on the back. Sometimes we had to hide behind the sofa when people knocked on the door wanting payments for things.

Dad worked in a low paid factory job during the day and mum did similar in the evenings. They did a great job in providing for 4 children. We didn't have much money but I never considered us poor or disadvantaged either.
Last edited by meddad; 1 year ago
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In retrospect, about as working class and close to the breadline as was possible before the advent of foodbanks.

No family household car, ever.
No family holidays abroad, ever. (I was twenty when I first went anywhere on a plane.)
No central heating in family home, ever.
No double glazing until I was into my twenties.
No landline telephone until I was in my teens.
No internet or PC until I was 20, (I completed the first 2 years of a computing degree with no access to a PC at home.)
I was on free school meals from primary through to AL’s.
My first job washing dishes was for circa £2.50/hour

You would think I grew up during the war looking at the above, but it was just the reality of an unskilled single parent household in the 80’s. As above, I had access to libraries and I had a fantastically happy childhood.

So yes, a lot of the concerns of younger people do make me roll my eyes. But it’s not their fault, it’s just the standard of living they’ve become accustomed to.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
CoolCavy. Royal forums? That’s what I thought. They probably get their servants to phone their friends servants instead, lol.

There seems a sharp difference in the childhood experiences of us oldies. We didn’t know how deprived we were, but when we look back we were happy and never felt poor.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That was the same for everyone.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
So yes, a lot of the concerns of younger people do make me roll my eyes. But it’s not their fault, it’s just the standard of living they’ve become accustomed to.
Ditto you for those a couple of generations earlier.
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was fortunate enough to grow up in a family with money.
That said I was never spoilt, and my Dad taught me the value of money from an early age.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
pretty poor.

Single parent household, unemployed, multiple times with no gas and electricity, went without dinner at least once a week, didn't have the internet until about 2013 (other than the three months in 2005), had free school meals (which was the norm in my schools) among other things.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not poor but nowhere near rich but was able to go out to fancy restaurants couple of times a month and holidays every year.
rcmotorboy
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Please show me an example of these royal forums I am most intrigued :toofunny:
I wish I could considering it's a forum for the royals, private invite only maybe where they fund their own forums. I know they're out there. Maybe the same for the upper class. If they have nightclubs, when they have forums. Maybe that's just a wild dream, rumor I'm making. :/
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fairly decent. My parents are divorced but in each house I had food, heating, clothes and love.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (112)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (337)
14.96%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (244)
10.83%
Lack of purpose or motivation (315)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (103)
4.57%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (130)
5.77%
Loneliness (194)
8.61%
Financial worries (87)
3.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (94)
4.17%
Exposure to negative news/social media (107)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (120)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (197)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (213)
9.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed