Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    haha thanks and i talk in my sleep (you really needed to know that!! :rolleyes: , so i shall probably be singing "shine jesus shine" instead - fabulous!
    haha dw i wont judge, im just worried about whomever's in the room next to you :p:

ReputationRep:
    In primary school we sung "jesus' hands were kind hands, doing good to all'

and then during middle school we had songs like Autumn Days (where the grass is jewelled and the silk inside a chesnut shell. Jet planes meeting in the air to be refueled and the things I love so I mustn't forgeeeeet, no I mustn't forgeeeet, to say a great big thankyou I mustn't forget!) and then we had the 'I am the lord of the dance said he' and our teacher also made us sing 'the holly and the ivy' which she'd so kindly re-arranged it in her own special way so it sounded like a hymn rather than a carole. lol.

ReputationRep:
    We used too sing:

Lord of the Dance
    Three Craws
    Tattie Souuuuuuuuuup!
    I like to Eat Apples & Bananas
    Oh Ye Cannae Push Yer Granny Off a Bus!
    All Things Bright & Beautiful
    Flower of Scotland
    Highland Cathedral
    The Angel Rolled the Stone Away
    One More Step Along the World I Go
    Easter Jubilations

Haahaa we used to learn like a new song every week in our assemblies =P

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and "This Little Light of Mine", that one was fun, probably cause it's a gospel song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by installedpear)
    not really.
    you werent forced to worship god.
    I was encouraged to but I never have and never will. I just get angry at why schools like my primary school forced children in to taking part in these kind of things. If my parents had chosen to send me to a Catholic or CofE school then fair enough but they didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candescence)
    Well, now instead of being a song about rape, it's a song about stalking and rape?
    how sad, coz i loved it, they probably dont sing this song anymore

ReputationRep:
    'I will make you FISHERS of men' biiiig emphasis on fishers everytime

There was one that was basically singing the books of the bible.

Praise thee the lord! Hallelujah! (split between sides of assembly-one side did the first the other the hallelujah and you had to stand up then sit down for it)

A lot of the posted above I know too.

Did anyone else do the 'walking and leaping and praising god' one? there were actions for that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candescence)
    Oh, and "This Little Light of Mine", that one was fun, probably cause it's a gospel song.
    ...am gonna let it shine, let it shine let shine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    haha dw i wont judge, im just worried about whomever's in the room next to you :p:
    haha considering i dont actually believe in religion they would prob be like omg what the heck and shut upppppp!

saying that hymns are good for a good old sing a long. ah ha i sound incredibly sad now and i think i may just have to shut up now.

excuse me :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    In primary school we sung "jesus' hands were kind hands, doing good to all'

and then during middle school we had songs like Autumn Days (where the grass is jewelled and the silk inside a chesnut shell. Jet planes meeting in the air to be refueled and the things I love so I mustn't forgeeeeet, no I mustn't forgeeeet, to say a great big thankyou I mustn't forget!) and then we had the 'I am the lord of the dance said he' and our teacher also made us sing 'the holly and the ivy' which she'd so kindly re-arranged it in her own special way so it sounded like a hymn rather than a carole. lol.
    Autumn Days! What a song We used to sing that at the Harvest Festival at my first school where we'd give tinned food to old people. Ah, good times.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a video of a drunken renditon of our school song from our leaving dinner on bebo..

I was tempted to show you guys it..

But its soooo bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
    One More Step Along the World I Go
    YES!!! We sung that too!!

ReputationRep:
    Mm... was a Catholic school so a lotta hymns...
    Colours of day/ Little donkey/ Ave Maria.
    Memories :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taemon)
    "Allelu, allelu, allelu, alleluia
    Praise ye the Lord
    Allelu, allelu, allelu, alleluia
    Praise ye the Lord

Praise ye the Lord
    Alleluia
    Praise ye the Lord
    Alleluia
    Praise ye the Lord
    Alleluia
    Praise ye the Lord"

This one was great, because one side of the hall did the "Allelu"s and one side did the "Praise ye the Lord"s, and you had to stand up when you were singing, and sit down when you weren't. It was such fun!
    Haahaa we done exactly this!
    we also done a song that was like...

"Walka, walka, walka, walka in the light/line! Walka, walka, walka, walka in the light/line!"

...and you used to hold onto the shoulders of the person next to you and walk in a line... how assemblies were fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Shalom Shalom,
    May peace be with you,
    Throughout your day.

In all that you do,
    May peace be with you,
    Shalom...Shalom.

Again, not sure about the exact wording. :ninja:
    my teacher was so excited everytime we sang this song, she would put so much effort into getting us to say it at the right tone

ReputationRep:
    we sang in Hebrew i think when we did the shalom song

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i didn't memorise this i was sad enough to google my favourite school memory of all time!:

Cauliflowers Fluffy and cabbages green
    Strawberries are sweeter than any I've seen
    Beetroots purple and onions white
    All grow steadily day and night

The apples are ripe and the plums are red
    The broadbeans are sleeping in their blankety bed

Blackberries are juicy and rhubards sour
    Marrows fattening hour by hour
    Gooseberries hairy and lettuces fat
    Radishes round and runner beans flat

The broadbeans are sleeping in their blankety bed

Orangey carrots and turnips cream
    Reddening tomatoes that used to be green
    Brown potatoes in little heaps
    Down in the darkness where the celery sleeps

The broadbeans are sleeping in their blankety bed, Yea!

ReputationRep:
    Food, Glorious Food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    haha considering i dont actually believe in religion they would prob be like omg what the heck and shut upppppp!

saying that hymns are good for a good old sing a long. ah ha i sound incredibly sad now and i think i may just have to shut up now.

excuse me :woo:
    haha same on the religion thing, but some are just so catchy lol...

and it depends on the hymn...some of them are just "yes come on, let's finish and get on with our lives before I kill the person next to me who's actually bothering to SING" and then there are others (like Jerusalem) where my entire school just belts it out like they'll never be able to sing ever again after that :lolz:

ReputationRep:
    "Sunday, Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday too,
    A-one, two, three, four, five, six, seven days,
    Each day different and everyday new"

I think that was one of the first songs I ever sang at school.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.