Paramedic fitness test

Watch this thread
jazzy0000
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am in first year of a levels and considering going into a paramedic science degree. I am very passionate about it and i already have background knowledge. (Im gonna sit and wait for the rude comments to roll in again) but anyway I have a medical issue that I think i would be able to carry out most of the manual tasks but im concerned that i wouldnt pass the actual fitness test due to the physiology and the nature of my condition. I was wondering if anyone had experience with doing this fitness test or similar and if they would consider the condition if i was just below the pass mark (i am obviously going to train and build up my atrength and endurance but my condition means I take longer to heal and some other issues so it takes longer for me to build up muscle and strength.
RebeccaIvin
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hiya, depending on which uni you want to go to, there may not be a physical fitness test, im going to Sunderland in April and not been told of a fitness test, I will be having a medical but no fitness
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jazzy0000)
I am in first year of a levels and considering going into a paramedic science degree. I am very passionate about it and i already have background knowledge. (Im gonna sit and wait for the rude comments to roll in again) but anyway I have a medical issue that I think i would be able to carry out most of the manual tasks but im concerned that i wouldnt pass the actual fitness test due to the physiology and the nature of my condition. I was wondering if anyone had experience with doing this fitness test or similar and if they would consider the condition if i was just below the pass mark (i am obviously going to train and build up my atrength and endurance but my condition means I take longer to heal and some other issues so it takes longer for me to build up muscle and strength.
Hi there,

When applying for a Paramedic course, you will complete two self-declaration forms, one about your health and the other about your conduct.
A Fitness to Practise information pack containing the relevant documents will be sent to you once you hold a conditional firm offer and these forms are then reviewed alongside your application. You must meet both the academic and fitness to practice requirements before you will be given an unconditional offer.

It's difficult to advise without knowing more information but your ability would be fully assessed based on the information you provide so you would get a more informed answer then.

Do you have an idea of which university you're looking to apply to? You could look into contacting the university and its course academics directly or even attend an open day for more concise information.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the process
BlueLightDriver
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jazzy0000)
I work for the ambulance service and I have arthritis. So it is possible to do this job and be disabled, but it is hard. There are things that can make the job easier, like the carry chair now has tracks to slide patients down the stairs rather than carrying them, but equally there are situations where there's no alternative. Most people who are feeling ill will go to bed, which tends to be upstairs, and house designers don't think about such things so make staircases a really awkward shape. If your patient is really ill, you might not have time to wait for another crew to come and help with lifting.

And the nature of the job means you can't predict what you're going to have. Some days you'll have no lifting. Other days you'll have 3 20-stone patients in a row. Bear in mind that shifts are mainly 12 hours long but can overrun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (87)
42.44%
They're exactly what I expected (46)
22.44%