The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neeraj99
From what I remember last year they got informed in February. So maybe we shall be getting a reply sometime soon.

Any updates anyone?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Saptarshi56
Any updates anyone?

None from me, unfortunately :-(
Any updates anyone?

Nope. Really hoping we get some indication today... I don't think I can handle waiting over the weekend!
How's everyone feeling right now? Do you think there'll be as many applications for C&T Neuro as there were for the straight Neuro MSc?

Just trying to chat about other things to take my mind off anxiously waiting :P
Original post by decapisland
How's everyone feeling right now? Do you think there'll be as many applications for C&T Neuro as there were for the straight Neuro MSc?

Just trying to chat about other things to take my mind off anxiously waiting :P

Historically the competition for CT Neuro is much, much smaller (as indicated by applicants:spaces ratio), but honestly who knows anymore... given straight Neuro literally just jumped from 17X apps per year to 450...

I think we'll hear something today. :smile:
Original post by ampaloompa
Historically the competition for CT Neuro is much, much smaller (as indicated by applicants:spaces ratio), but honestly who knows anymore... given straight Neuro literally just jumped from 17X apps per year to 450...

This wait if killing me. It’s gonna be the 1st on Monday. Just tell us!!!
Original post by ampaloompa

Exactly! I thought 170+ applicants was a lot, was so shocked when I heard about the 450!! I do feel for the admissions team who had to review all those statements.

I wonder if CT Neuro applications will increase by as much... Maybe people might see it being less competitive, and therefore apply for it over straight Neuro. (Again, just random rambles in a failing attempt to calm myself down.)

I keep refreshing TSR, as if that will make the decision come any faster! :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Where is the information for 450 provided?
Where is the information for 450 provided?

I think it was included in the rejection email that straight Neuro applicants received. A couple people mentioned it in the 2021 Oxford PG applicants thread.
If the rejected applicants from Neuroscience are eligible for 1 year course. How are we to get in? Don’t they have their profile better suited for the course already?
Exactly! I thought 170+ applicants was a lot, was so shocked when I heard about the 450!! I do feel for the admissions team who had to review all those statements.

I wonder if CT Neuro applications will increase by as much... Maybe people might see it being less competitive, and therefore apply for it over straight Neuro. (Again, just random rambles in a failing attempt to calm myself down.)

I keep refreshing TSR, as if that will make the decision come any faster! :biggrin:

I completely relate to this!!

I think there's a good chance that there will be a significant increase in the number of applications for C&T Neuro this year, but I would bet the numbers look nothing like they do for straight Neuro.

Part of me thinks we won't hear until next week though :-(
If the rejected applicants from Neuroscience are eligible for 1 year course. How are we to get in? Don’t they have their profile better suited for the course already?

Sorry, do you mean the rejected applicants from the 1+3 Neuro DPhil? I don't think they are reconsidered for CT Neuro, only for straight Neuro MSc.

And I believe it's an opt-in checkbox on the form if I remember correctly? (Some of them probably already have Masters and don't want to do another one.)
(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry, do you mean the rejected applicants from the 1+3 Neuro DPhil? I don't think they are reconsidered for CT Neuro, only for straight Neuro MSc.

And I believe it's an opt-in checkbox on the form if I remember correctly? (Probably because some of them probably already have Masters and don't want to do another one.)

Agreed -- I think they are just pooled back in with straight Neuro if they are unsuccessful for 1+3 DPhil Neuro.

Any idea if we'll be able to hear the outcome of our applications this weekend, if not today?
Original post by bruisingbanana
Agreed -- I think they are just pooled back in with straight Neuro if they are unsuccessful for 1+3 DPhil Neuro.

Any idea if we'll be able to hear the outcome of our applications this weekend, if not today?

I think we could still hold out hope for getting an email on a Saturday, as I've seen others in the main Oxford PG chat mention they received interview invites on Saturday. Fingers crossed!
I think we could still hold out hope for getting an email on a Saturday, as I've seen others in the main Oxford PG chat mention they received interview invites on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

Sounds good, thank you!

Don't you just love sitting in limbo?
Original post by bruisingbanana
Sounds good, thank you!

Don't you just love sitting in limbo?

IKR... I can't focus on my actual uni work :s-smilie: I keep telling myself not to think about it but it obviously isn't working.

Almost makes me wish I applied for Cambridge instead as it appears people are hearing back from them faster! :biggrin: (only joking, but you get what I mean lol)
IKR... I can't focus on my actual uni work :s-smilie: I keep telling myself not to think about it but it obviously isn't working.

Almost makes me wish I applied for Cambridge instead as it appears people are hearing back from them faster! :biggrin: (only joking, but you get what I mean lol)

Exactly! I am scared to check my browser history, as I know I've refreshed and reopened the TSR browser at least 90x today.

I totally agree. I heard from one applicant at Cambridge that they received notification of their application outcome in the same week they submitted it, haha!
Do you guys know 100% if there will be interviews? Cuz on the website they say sth like "Whilst interviews are not mandatory..", so I was wondering if that means that there might be no interviews?

Also, out of curiosity, what is your background? Degree-wise, do you have a degree in Neuroscience or something very related?
Original post by claudyn
Do you guys know 100% if there will be interviews? Cuz on the website they say sth like "Whilst interviews are not mandatory..", so I was wondering if that means that there might be no interviews?

Also, out of curiosity, what is your background? Degree-wise, do you have a degree in Neuroscience or something very related?

It's hard to say, really. The wording is quite vague, but later in that paragraph, they go on to say that successful applicants will hear within 7 days post-interview. This makes me think that the majority of applicants will be interviewed.

I'm currently finishing up my undergrad degree in Pharmacology, how about you?
I am working as a house officer, post MBBS (medicine). What about the others?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending