The Student Room Group

Tempted to go alcohol free in 2020

Will be hard AF tbh probs wont last even last a week. The only reason I want to do it is because Im thinking Im getting a beer belly.

Scroll to see replies

Why not just give up beer for 90 days?
That way you can still enjoy cocktails, wine and spirits.
No sorry, not tempted to give up alcohol, just a personal thing.
By the way wasnt aware that wine was a drink associated with gays, I thought it was for everybody.
Reply 3
Go for it .
Go for it :smile:

I'm tempted too. I think I'll try dry Jan (won't be hard, I don't drink often unless it's social/special occasions) and see how it goes. I'm hoping it'll be better for my health and help to save money :tongue: Recently when I've drank alcohol, I seem to get ill so I think it reduces my immune system anyway. I do quite enjoy being drunk like on a night out, but it takes me a fair amount of alcohol to actually get drunk so I don't think it's worth it :tongue:
Original post by Karisa96
No sorry, not tempted to give up alcohol, just a personal thing.
By the way wasnt aware that wine was a drink associated with gays, I thought it was for everybody.

As someone part of the LGBT+ community, I've not heard that. I've seen people of all genders and backgrounds drink wine. And rather than phrasing it as 'gays' you can just put gay people/people who are gay :tongue:
Alcohol is the only thing keeping me sane atm.

Best of luck if you decided to go through with it though.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
As someone part of the LGBT+ community, I've not heard that. I've seen people of all genders and backgrounds drink wine. And rather than phrasing it as 'gays' you can just put gay people/people who are gay :tongue:

Sorry I did not mean to offend.
I was just commenting on the ops post, where it states quote. Not gay so dont drink wine or cocktails. Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.
Reply 8
I don't drink. What is difficult is in social situations when you have to explain you don't want a drink about fifty times - some people just refuse to accept no as an answer.
Original post by Karisa96
Sorry I did not mean to offend.
I was just commenting on the ops post, where it states quote. Not gay so dont drink wine or cocktails. Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

Oh I see, I didn't see OPs post as it wasn't the first one :smile:

Original post by ThuggerThugger
Dont like spirits

Not gay so don’t drink wine or cocktails

OP - please see below. Unless you were just throwing the word 'gay' around, please also don't do this :smile:

I gave up alcohol in 2017, was easy tbh but by the point I was drinking on NYE 2016 and thought, I don't like the feeling of being pissed anymore, it just makes me feel groggy and tired rather than upbeat like it used to. I still drink alcohol free beer pretty regularly. I don't get it when people spout boIIocks like "what's the point of beer if you're not going to get drunk?". Firstly, because I like the taste. Secondly, lets be real, if you're drinking for the sole purpose of getting drunk then beer is a terrible choice, you just get bloated and it takes several hours of drinking beer before you get properly pissed.
Read the context of what I said “I’m not gay” saying “I’m not gays” would not make sense, seriously jog on, theres always one person who actively looks for ways to get offended.

Secondly saying “gays” is not offending any normal person the s is simply plural, get a grip seriously.

Firstly, I assume this is to me, although you didn't actually quote me. Secondly, that part was to Karisa96 who did say 'gays' and has now apologised not to you. You can quote multiple in a post, which is where I think the confusion was :smile: The post I said to look at was more about the fact that drinking a certain type of drink does not correlate with sexual orientation :lol:
(edited 4 years ago)
it will be good for IQ.
Firstly, I assume this is to me, although you didn't actually quote me. Secondly, that part was to Karisa96 who did say 'gays' and has now apologised not to you. You can quote multiple in a post, which is where I think the confusion was :smile: The post I said to look at was more about the fact that drinking a certain type of drink does not correlate with sexual orientation :lol:

Certain things are associated to certain types of people that’s just life, so whether it offends you or anyone else is irrelevant. I don’t appreciate you telling me what I can and can’t do.
(edited 4 years ago)
Start with January and see how you get on.
Certain things are associated to certain types of people that’s just life, so whether it offends you or anyone else is irrelevant. I don’t appreciate you telling me what I can and can’t do.

It's really not, they're incorrect stereotypes. I know many people who drink wine and are straight men, for example. It would be like saying eating cake makes you gay... or 'I'm not listening to rap music because that's for black people'.

Also regarding wording (if anyone was wondering): if someone who was black told me not write 'the blacks' (not that I would), we should respect that :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
It's really not, they're incorrect stereotypes. I know many people who drink wine and are straight men, for example. It would be like saying eating cake makes you gay... or 'I'm not listening to rap music because that's for black people'.

Also regarding wording (if anyone was wondering): if someone who was black told me not write 'the blacks' (not that I would), we should respect that :smile:

Smh
Smh

Also, if you don't like wine or cocktails, fine, say you don't like that. But saying you don't want to drink them because it might associate you with x group is discriminatory, as you're inferring there is something 'wrong' with that group. If you don't have anything else to say than a simple 'smh' on this, then I'm happy to conclude the conversation here :smile:

What? Like football? :laugh:
Reply 19
i can resist anything!
except temptation

Quick Reply

Latest