Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Iceman911 -

De Montfort University '05- BA (Hons) International Business and Globalisation
    University of Nottingham '08- MA Marketing

DMU To Nottingham Main - How did that happen lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyrase)
    so many of them in london, you cant miss them if you're there for a day, but one thing that always gets me is why do they speak in their language all the time? Its not like they cant speak English, they wouldnt visit london if they wouldnt speak it, so why do they speak foreign? :confused: konichieva...u reckon they are talking about planting a bomb :confused:
    Muhaha they arent obligated to speak English when they're here! The only time I think its rude is when they're with another English person who doesnt speak their language yet they still jabber away.
    And to be fair, how many of us start talking a language when we're on holiday in say... Spain. I think most people manage the basics like gracias, por favor, leche (milk) etc.
    Where Im at uni we might as well be in some sort of giant immigration office, there's plenty of french, polish, finnish, americans etc. Its ridiculous.
    It does bother me slightly when they do talk in their own language, but thats just curiosity!

ReputationRep:
    so many of them in london, you cant miss them if you're there for a day, but one thing that always gets me is why do they speak in their language all the time? Its not like they cant speak English, they wouldnt visit london if they wouldnt speak it, so why do they speak foreign? :confused: konichieva...u reckon they are talking about planting a bomb :confused:
    oh my

ReputationRep:
    I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with possibly making an ass of myself by butchering a language I don't know well. Bearing this in mind, I don't know that I'd learn a language well enough to attempt speaking it unless I was going to be spending more than a vacation's worth of time there.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak french and i've been to France, i can't speak Spanish and i've been to Spain. What you're basically saying is that for a person to travel the world they need to speak every single language still in use today

Get a grip!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Fences mate, fences!

We need to build massive **** off fences to keep 'em out! Huge ones, so that only spiderman, superman and the rest can conquer. You get me bruv, geez, me ol' mukka...

ReputationRep:
    oh dear.... so when us brits go on holiday abroad we shouldn't speak our language between ourselves? because thats basically the same, right?

learn diversity OP

ReputationRep:
    have you ever been a tourist???

do you speak spanish when you go to spain?

i didnt speak turkish when i went to turkey! did i sin??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Dam them boosting our economy with tourist money.
    and taking out jobs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quinion)
    I really hope you're taking the piss. Though even if you are, you're doing it badly.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'anami!)
    :ditto:
    not really, we've got 2 pages out of this.

probably 3 in a bit

ReputationRep:

Why dont you come and say konichiwa.
    Sure that they will say "xugoi desune" :confused:
    daijobu desu.
    Use English again then They will talk with you in English.
    Sure that!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.