Turn on thread page Beta

Reasonable age for engagement? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was 17 when I got engaged and 21 when I got married

There is no ideal age.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna get married at some point soon but monay is a bit of an issue because we're both still at uni. Luckily I know a few people who've made the leap first which is good, some even have children. My main worry is that we'll end up one of those couples who are engaged for like a million years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    My main worry is that we'll end up one of those couples who are engaged for like a million years.
    Again, who cares?! Be engaged for as long as you want!

ReputationRep:
    I think if you KNOW you both want to be together forever, and you both know between you what you want then I think you're mature enough to get engaged. I think marriage takes a lot of consideration after this but hey the engagement isn't going to expire

I do agree that sharing time living together first may well give you a better idea of whether it would be right, but it's not essential.

I know a lot of people say it's no rush and no it isn't but if you're both ready then why wait? Marriage should wait till you're ready financially but again engagements don't expire

OP have you saved for the ring yet? (or other...) If you haven't then do so... and you still have plenty of time to make sure it's right. (and if it isn't then you have some savings )

Good luck, and get back to us?

ReputationRep:
    getting engaged will do no harm and is a nice official bonding thingy, but if you guys love each other youll last the wait of a few years, yunno, just to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a difference for me between when you get engaged and when you get married...
    Although i personaly would prefer to get engaged and married in quick succession if you get me, not wait 4 years!

Maybe... get engaged at 20, married by 21/22 for me i think. that would be the youngest id consider it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.